Need to refill Honda Civic radiator every few days

scorecard

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

I didn’t say it was significantly better, I said it was better. People have indicated coolant will cool better than plan water, it will not.

This is a bit like the argument about nitrogen in tires - the improvement is marginal. But have it your way. I have never stated coolant will improve cooling, only that it extends the useful range of water both ways i.e. boiling and freezing.

From the OP's description of how he and his family have operated the vehicle, IMHO they have not done the engine any favors. Then again, how many people take the time to read the owner's manual?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

If it were me I wouldn't replace the head gasket unless I knew for sure there was a problem with it or with the head and there are simple checks that can be done to confirm those things, any decent dealership will have the necessary kit to do those things.

But your most recent post mentions an overheating problem, is the car overheating and does the temperature gauge confirm that? If so, the problem may be something as simple as a stuck thermostat although that wouldn't give you an 8k repair bill!.

I agree. Replacing the thermostat would be my first choice.

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

I haven't checked the colour of the smoke. My understand is that normal smoke is virtually colourless, is that correct?

17 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Yes, but white smoke would indicate steam or water being combusted.

17 hours ago, upu2 said:

Yes. If the cylinder head gasket has gone it will be white colour

Water vapor in engine exhaust colorless. The "white smoke" is from engine coolant additives being burnt off. Since the  OP is only refilling the system with water the color of the exhaust woud not be a good indicator of a crack head or blown head gasket.

Have you checked the color of engine oil, milky white color will indicate water in sump, try replacing radiator cap as they do fail after a fair amount of time, releasing coolant after engine warms up, maybe try a radiator shop if there's any in your area, they just might have a cooling system test kit where they can pressurize the cooling system with their kits without driving the vehicle. 

19 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

That suggests the engine is NOT overheating and that it's not a thermostat issue......a head gasket/leak test would be my prefered way to go, they can test the water to see if exhaust fumes are getting in the coolant, it's a simple and quick test.

Not always. The water temperature sensor unit is normally located near the thermostat in the upper part of the cooling system. This sensor must have direct contact with the coolant to read coolant temperature. If there is a leak in the system the temperature gauge reading will not indicate overheating, if the sensor loses direct contact with the coolant.

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There are many cheapskates in Thailand who use water in the radiator in lieu of coolant. Water boils at 100 C, coolant at 120 - 130 C depending on the concentration used.

Coolants not only increase the heat capacity of the radiator, they also have corrosion inhibitors which help protect the combination of alloys present in most engines.

The problem may be as simple as the radiator boiling off water, so it needs topping up frequently. Some mechanics also remove the thermostat valve to improve water flow, which gives rise to more evaporation.

If a radiator needs topping up every couple of days, there's something wrong. I only check mine once a month, and it has never needed a top up.

Get a second opinion. Take the car to a Honda service centre. There are many auto mechanics in Thailand not worthy of the name.

Water has to be going somewhere, regardless of whether it is in liquid or steam. Radiator coolant systems are suposed to be "closed systems" i.e. no fluid loss, so water is being lost somewhere, maybe head gasket, loose radiator hose, radiator cap seal etc etc. Check the thermostat too to make sure its functioning and the cooling fan is kicking in at the right temperature.

Finally, change mechanics.

If water was getting into the oil through a warped head , faulty gasket or cracked head or block , the oil would emulsify and turn white . Check the dipstick - it will show if the oil colour . I would suggest changing the radiator hoses - almost certainly steam escaping through a crack when the coolant is hot . 

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

Can I buy coolant at most service stations, or where ??

No you can't, i beem searching for 3 days to buy coolant for radiator, finally this morning had to go to General motors, and I brought a bottle there. My car needs a little top up every 3 months which is normal driving in this heat, but I only put very little in. A bottle lasts me 3 years

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Many cars don't have temperature gauges. They have idiot lights instead. The meaning being you're an idiot if you ignore them.

8K for a Honda? They must think they are working on a Merc.

Well I haven't seen one yet. So it just has a red light high temp? Never heard of that before and I've been in a lot of different cars.

I think it's funny that people are telling what to do when the problem isn't known yet. Even the shop quote - what are they planning to do?

Anyway, properly functioning cooling systems, (normally sealed systems) shouldn't consume coolant at all. If you smell the sweet smell of anti freeze behind your car, you're burning it. Could be just a head gasket but overheated honda heads warp easily so it should be checked for straightness and also for cracks.

Worst case - cracked block.

I love Hondas still - both 2 wheel and 4 wheel.

22 minutes ago, Iem said:

If water was getting into the oil through a warped head , faulty gasket or cracked head or block , the oil would emulsify and turn white . Check the dipstick - it will show if the oil colour . I would suggest changing the radiator hoses - almost certainly steam escaping through a crack when the coolant is hot . 

If you've got steam in your hoses - you got bigger problems that a new hose can't fix.

This is a bit like the argument about nitrogen in tires - the improvement is marginal. But have it your way. I have never stated coolant will improve cooling, only that it extends the useful range of water both ways i.e. boiling and freezing.
From the OP's description of how he and his family have operated the vehicle, IMHO they have not done the engine any favors. Then again, how many people take the time to read the owner's manual?

If someone had a tire that was going flat everyday, and someone claimed filling it with nitrogen would stop the leak, I would think it similar.

The OP seems to be on the drive it ‘till it stops then find the cheapest place around to get it fixed.

The same thing happened with my GFs Suzuki, recently. I kept trying to say 'head gasket' to the mechanic. Then I asked them to check the dipstick. He couldn't understand why, but when he pulled it out, the oil was a little foamy, as if the oil had water in it.

He then proclaimed 'head gasket'.

3 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Cast iron block - aluminum head. 

yes, 1980 Ford.  Both cast iron.  Complete strip down to reface head then block. New gaskets every time, expense just mounted.    As a matter of course we always sent ali heads for a minimum skim

13 hours ago, mogandave said:

1. Adding water/coolant is not normal. If it’s not leaking, it’s burning. It’s has to go somewhere.
2. I would not waste money on coolant until I figured out where it was going.
3. Water has better cooling properties than coolant. That said, it does not provide any corrosion resistance, does not lubricate the water pump, boils at a lower temperature and freezes.
4. I would try flushing the system, a leak may become more apparent.
5. I would buy a new, correct OEM cap.
6. Take it someplace that has the equipment to do a proper pressure test.

5 out of 6 are logical, but #3 is illogical. H2O (water) has a boiling point of 212 degrees at normal atmospheric pressure and at temperatures above that, it vaporizes. Blending engine coolant/antifreeze with water allows it to absorb more heat which raises its boiling point and makes it the more efficient heat exchanger for automotive engine cooling systems. 

53 minutes ago, Jingjock said:

No you can't, i beem searching for 3 days to buy coolant for radiator, finally this morning had to go to General motors, and I brought a bottle there. My car needs a little top up every 3 months which is normal driving in this heat, but I only put very little in. A bottle lasts me 3 years

The Tesco store near me sells engine coolant. 

As I said earlier , change the radiator hoses . When driving the water is under pressure to drive it around the system . it IS almost certainly the hoses AND a much cheaper solution than taking the thing apart - let mr know how you get on . I'll almost guarantee changing the hoses will do the job . Happens in very old cars and fools a lot of people for a while !

1 minute ago, Iem said:

As I said earlier , change the radiator hoses . When driving the water is under pressure to drive it around the system . it IS almost certainly the hoses AND a much cheaper solution than taking the thing apart - let mr know how you get on . I'll almost guarantee changing the hoses will do the job . Happens in very old cars and fools a lot of people for a while !

If a hose is the problem there will be probably be a white visible film build up near a problem..

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

I think if you do a little more research you'll find that's not correct.

I won't argue that one.  Possible...yes.    Probable very low, 20 years I never came across one.

So having been informed it has a cast iron block and no coolant any leak should show up as a brown rust stain.

Another trial,  remove the plugs noting their position.  Are the electrodes all the same?  If one is being washed by water the difference is obvious.   Run the engine to temperature then allow it to cool down.  Any steam in one of the pots will condensate.  Compression test then if possible to borrow the tool.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

And a lot of pages on a easily fixed problem.

Well yes, water loss has many avenues to look at, someone that quotes changing the hoses will fix all is daft as it maybe a crack, head gasket, head warped, radiator etc...

Transam - I did mention in my earlier post that any of the things you mentioned would result in the oil emulsifying - turning into a white mayonaise consistency and easily checked by using the dipstick . I AGAIN say - I'll almost guarantee changing the hoses will do the job .Water under pressure does NOT boil at 100 Degrees C . But , as soon as it gets out into normal atmospheric pressure it turns to steam !!!!! 

1 minute ago, Iem said:

Transam - I did mention in my earlier post that any of the things you mentioned would result in the oil emulsifying - turning into a white mayonaise consistency and easily checked by using the dipstick . I AGAIN say - I'll almost guarantee changing the hoses will do the job .Water under pressure does NOT boil at 100 Degrees C . But , as soon as it gets out into normal atmospheric pressure it turns to steam !!!!! 

Depends where a gasket leak or head crack is situated, if either does not interfere with an oil passage it will not show in the oil unless an amount of water is passing through the piston ring gaps under combustion pressure.....

Archived