Need to refill Honda Civic radiator every few days

scorecard

3 hours ago, stud858 said:

Still think for the cost of a few dollars stop leak on an old car is the first thing id do. It only can block up small holes so dont panic about it blocking up pathways.comments that heat exchanger will block won't apply as Thai cars don't have heaters

My 2015 Ford Fiesta has a heater and it works.

11 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Nope - As stated the OP can't find any trace of water in the morning

But one thing hasn't been mentioned

So how about the OP take the car for a wrap around town, to get it up to max operating Temp & then lift the bonnet.

Keeping the revs up so the water is recycling 

Never know this may show something when under pressure & hot 

Basically done this already several times in the past, because a friend suggested same and to checka after running for a while if any loose water around the top of the radiator or around the clamps securing the hoses or around the water pump.

Never any sign of water.

7 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

My 2015 Ford Fiesta has a heater and it works.

yes, there will be a few with heaters. Not impossible. Regardless, the fear factor of stop leak should be disregarded if you have good reasoning skills. 

yes, there will be a few with heaters. Not impossible. Regardless, the fear factor of stop leak should be disregarded if you have good reasoning skills. 

I agree a good quality stop-leak can be very effective, but I think it should be used after flushing the system and fresh water/coolant.

Using flush, stop-leak and coolant all from the same manufacturer is best.

23 hours ago, Jingjock said:

No you can't, i beem searching for 3 days to buy coolant for radiator, finally this morning had to go to General motors, and I brought a bottle there. My car needs a little top up every 3 months which is normal driving in this heat, but I only put very little in. A bottle lasts me 3 years

my toyota garage sells ready mixed coolant for radiators.

On 8/22/2018 at 12:53 PM, Lacessit said:

There are many cheapskates in Thailand who use water in the radiator in lieu of coolant. Water boils at 100 C, coolant at 120 - 130 C depending on the concentration used.

Coolants not only increase the heat capacity of the radiator, they also have corrosion inhibitors which help protect the combination of alloys present in most engines.

The problem may be as simple as the radiator boiling off water, so it needs topping up frequently. Some mechanics also remove the thermostat valve to improve water flow, which gives rise to more evaporation.

If a radiator needs topping up every couple of days, there's something wrong. I only check mine once a month, and it has never needed a top up.

Get a second opinion. Take the car to a Honda service centre. There are many auto mechanics in Thailand not worthy of the name.

Reminded me when in High School had a Ford that constantly overheated until took the thermostat out...... yea yea no money 

in those days

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:29 PM, Lacessit said:

Many cars don't have temperature gauges. They have idiot lights instead. The meaning being you're an idiot if you ignore them.

8K for a Honda? They must think they are working on a Merc.

Most cars do have temperature gauges, most cars do not only have idiot lights to indicate engine temp.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

You didn't mention exhaust smoke but anyway what's gonna happen.?

I did many posts back, the exhaust smoke seems to be clear with no water vapour present, however as I mentioned yesterday early next week I will take the car to a well recommended shop in Chiang Mai with a list prepared from the many comments and suggestions kindly posted on this thread, including to ask the shop to check the exhaust smoke.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I did many posts back, the exhaust smoke seems to be clear with no water vapour present, however as I mentioned yesterday early next week I will take the car to a well recommended shop in Chiang Mai with a list prepared from the many comments and suggestions kindly posted on this thread, including to ask the shop to check the exhaust smoke.

Remember this, water can accumulate in the exhaust system via condensation..Many rides have water or water vapour coming out the exhaust from start up, quite normal...If you take your ride to the shop make sure it is well warmed up and give it a few pedal to the metal passes to blast the water out...

Remember this, water can accumulate in the exhaust system via condensation..Many rides have water or water vapour coming out the exhaust from start up, quite normal...If you take your ride to the shop make sure it is well warmed up and give it a few pedal to the metal passes to blast the water out...

I would think a pressure test would be the cheapest, easiest, most effective first step...

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Most cars do have temperature gauges, most cars do not only have idiot lights to indicate engine temp.

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Are you sure you're not looking at the tachometer? Or the fuel gauge?

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

i think each country has their own styles. So it may be in America temp guages are popular, but not in Austrlalia. The models can vary slightly. For example, The Australian version of the camry has a compartment for pot. And the mercedes a smaller one for coke. Haha, just kidding,

But seriously, Ive noticed on youtube vids, American vehicles have features that oz vehicles dont.

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

i think each country has their own styles. So it may be in America temp guages are popular, but not in Austrlalia. The models can vary slightly. For example, The Australian version of the camry has a compartment for pot. And the mercedes a smaller one for coke. Haha, just kidding,

But seriously, Ive noticed on youtube vids, American vehicles have features that oz vehicles dont.

Holsters....?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stud858 said:

Such as rust and soft suspensions?

11 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Which are 'the many'?

Nissans, Toyotas, Mazdas, Mitsubishis and the Koreans. I think they outnumber the Mercs and Beemers that do have gauges..

Edited by Lacessit
  • Confused 1

On 8/23/2018 at 3:06 PM, Kwasaki said:

Well OP should change hoses anyway if there old after the head shim or a replacement head if old one is cracked.

The op states NO overheating has occurred . If there has been NO overheating it is most unlikely the head or block has cracked , the head warped etc .

8 minutes ago, Iem said:

The op states NO overheating has occurred . If there has been NO overheating it is most unlikely the head or block has cracked , the head warped etc .

Son just forgot to top up the water and the engine overheated

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Iem said:

Yeah well after 10 pages of guesses on what the mysterious problem is you can be forgiven what OP posted as post #149 states.

The thread has become a joke.