No Plastic Bags at Rimping Today

Kelsall

12 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

I had the cardboard  box option tonight had to lug my shopping 500m it would have been good with a bit of warning lucky for me I had nothing heavy otherwise they would have had it back ?

Understood.  Apparently you walked to the store?  Anyway you will know next time.

Change always causes some pain somewhere but this is good change and it looks like sammieuk1 embraces it. 

• Confused 1

Same thing happened to me in Rimping Mae Hia Market yesterday- I bought one of their canvas bags for 50 baht (I was also offered a box).  My wife chatted with the cashier in Thai- apparently, they also have the option of 'borrowing' a canvas bag and returning it for a refund on your next trip, which I thought was fair enough.  It was a sturdy, good-sized bag, and I'm going to start using it (though there are days I need 4-5 bags instead only one like yesterday- I guess I'll need a few of them).

I don't complain about having to bring bags when I go to Makro, and every little bit helps.

Edited by flare

Wonderful step in the right direction. Although initially a pain in the ass, it's easy enough to get used to it. I've carried a canvas bag when shopping for years. And although it doesn't address the problem that occurs when one does a 'big shop' and buy enough to fill 4-5 bags, for the daily needs it certainly does help clean up the environment. And for those once a month 'big shopping days...' have it delivered. Both Rimping and Tops will deliver for free if your bill is over 1500 baht. 5kg of kitty litter, a case of beer, a couple of sacks of rice... we don't want to walk too far carrying these any way!

• Like 1

Thats a good thing,maybe it could have been planned a bit better,

the plastic bags that RimPing,are biodegradable anyway,which I

found out ,after keeping some sand in them,in a short time they

all fell to bits.

I was in RimPing yesterday and did not know about no carrier bag

day,only bought a couple of things,and the cashier is looking for small 

box to put the goods in,don't bother i said,and just carried them out in

my hands,with receipt,just incase the security guard thought i was nicking them. 

Big C is the worst for plastic bags,at the check out i have to keep repacking

them,filling them up,instead of only a couple of items in a bag.

Don't know why some people are complaining about no bags,but been 

Chiang Mai forum,its the norm.the less plastic bags the better,and all other

single use plastics,its common sense really.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

The surprise 'no plastic bags' day caught a lot of people out and simply irritated them.

I was at Rimping also yesterday and because there was "fresh"bread

I took 4 whole weat bread and 4 packs with buns for the freezer and some other smalls.When check out,no plastic back today!!! How can I drive with the motorbike 10 km with the box they wanted to give to me?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dvg said:

The surprise 'no plastic bags' day caught a lot of people out and simply irritated them.

I was at Rimping also yesterday and because there was "fresh"bread

I took 4 whole weat bread and 4 packs with buns for the freezer and some other smalls.When check out,no plastic back today!!! How can I drive with the motorbike 10 km with the box they wanted to give to me?

Take your own bag(s) why expect plastic bags  - think ahead !

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Kelsall said:

Actually, they offered me a box.  Ever try to take your groceries home in a box?

I said no, give me a plastic bag.  They did.

The last time I managed to get my meat and veggies in a box I was playing cricket

5 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Take your own bag(s) why expect plastic bags  - think ahead !

When they would have told before that there were no bags on wednesday it was no surprice and I would take my own bag.

8 minutes ago, dvg said:

When they would have told before that there were no bags on wednesday it was no surprice and I would take my own bag.

They did. There have been adverts around the checkout area for about two weeks, and they have been putting leaflets in the (plastic!) grocery bags. Not their fault if you shop with your eyes shut, is it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been using reusable bags for over 25 years, no doubt the world is a better place for that. ? If you ever went to Pattaya 25 years ago it may well be the case.?

Rimping sell strong Xtra  large reusable bags, hold a lot of goods but usually need a trolley to get it to the car.

15 minutes ago, EL159 said:

They did. There have been adverts around the checkout area for about two weeks, and they have been putting leaflets in the (plastic!) grocery bags. Not their fault if you shop with your eyes shut, is it?

I go 2-3 times a week to Rimping and I never had a leaflet in my plastic bag only the bill.

• Like 1