No Plastic Bags at Rimping Today

Kelsall

My Mrs and I aren't environmental zealots by any means, but do try to incorporate changes to our behavior and thinking.

We were having a quick, informal dinner out the other night near the house.  The service wasn't great (new employees) and among the initial confusion, they didn't provide a straw for her glass of Coke.  Wife noted that proper etiquette is providing straws to females for their drinks. 

I looked at her, took a sip from my straw-less mug of iced beer, and mused about the origins of that Puritanical sounding "fact".   Who decided that?  Who made the "rule" and why?

She caught my look and grin, and smiled at bit at her own expense, I think. 

We talked about the latest environmental fad re: paper straws, and recalled the trendy, "progressive" cafe we had lunch at near the house recently, which provided paper straws, not plastic.  The place is run by young, activist-type Thais and their clientele seems like-minded and thus wouldn't object to being charged a few Satang more to cover the higher cost of paper straws, on the mantle of environmental awareness.  

Got me curious so I Googled to find an article on straw origin.  Written from an American perspective, but suggests ancient roots as well.  Seems it was a mere convenience, followed by a brief concern about sanitation before morphing into a social fad and then linked to female etiquette.  Marketing and money

By the 1940s, straws were so common that swigging directly from the bottle had come to be considered bad manners -- at least when the swigger was female. Advice columnists urged readers to remind their daughters that Lana Turner had been discovered while sipping through a straw.  One anonymous writer counseled young women that using a straw was an excellent way to “look appealing.” Newspapers trumpeted claims that U.S. soldiers and sailors overseas considered young women who drank through straws more attractive than those who didn’t. In short, the hard-sell was on, and its target was women.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-01-30/reducing-the-use-of-drinking-straws-will-be-a-tough-sell

17 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I guess you missed the science part. Let me repeat myself.

There is no such thing as biodegradable plastic.  None what so ever.

Those bags that they sell, calling them 'biodegradable,' are actually just 'fall-apartable.' They are made of micro-beads of plastic held together with a corn starch binder. Still feel like plastic, will be as waterproof as plastic... but only for a short while... until the starch binder breaks down, and everything just falls apart... leaving thousands of plastic micro-beads.  Those will NOT degrade any further. They are already such a problem that the UK now prohibits their use! They are clogging up the drainage sewers all over the UK! One micro-bead isn't a problem, but they gang up together to form a plastic sludge that just won't wash away.

So... although you may not see the plastic bags made from the starch and plastic material after a few weeks in the ground, it's still there... It's rather like a building that's been demolished with a wrecking ball... you no longer see the building, but the rubble remains. Only in the case of the micro-beads, they get eaten accidentally by small birds and fish, which get eaten by bigger birds and fish, and now YOU get to eat those.  Trust me... they are not really nutritious, and certainly not healthy.

So while you may think you are being earth-friendly by using Rimping bags, it really isn't so. If you want to be part of the solution, rather than contributing to the problem, pick up one of those canvas bags and keep it in your car or bike. Or... shops are now selling nylon bags that, when empty, fit in your pocket, but expand to hold more than one big plastic shopping bag. There really is no excuse these days to contribute to the plastic pollution problem other than selfishness.

Thanks for enlightening me. Never to old to learn.

• Like 1

I like plastic bags. They can be used as:

bin liners

rain hats

storage containers

and as bags to hold your shopping.

If they aren't biodegradable, why is it impossible to find one that's been dumped from more than a couple of years ago?

They should be encouraged and they are free.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Loaded said:

If they aren't biodegradable, why is it impossible to find one that's been dumped from more than a couple of years ago?

Here we go again... This is the third time your question has been answered in this thread.

Those bags that they sell, calling them 'biodegradable,' are actually just 'fall-apartable.' They are made of micro-beads of plastic held together with a corn starch binder. Still feel like plastic, will be as waterproof as plastic... but only for a short while... until the starch binder breaks down, and everything just falls apart... leaving thousands of plastic micro-beads.  Those will NOT degrade any further. They are already such a problem that the UK now prohibits their use! They are clogging up the drainage sewers all over the UK! One micro-bead isn't a problem, but they gang up together to form a plastic sludge that just won't wash away.

So... although you may not see the plastic bags made from the starch and plastic material after a few weeks in the ground, it's still there... It's rather like a building that's been demolished with a wrecking ball... you no longer see the building, but the rubble remains. Only in the case of the micro-beads, they get eaten accidentally by small birds and fish, which get eaten by bigger birds and fish, and now YOU get to eat those.  Trust me... they are not really nutritious, and certainly not healthy.

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

Here we go again... This is the third time your question has been answered in this thread.

You mean like cars, computers, pens, fast-food containers, food packaging, traffic cones, kitchen ware, carpets, clothes, catheters, saline drip tubes, heart stents, straws, coffee containers and the list goes on for a few miles but you saw a viral video once on social media telling you about the evils of plastic supermarket bags and you fell for it. Banning them will make the world a better place - lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Loaded said:

You mean like cars, computers, pens, fast-food containers, food packaging, traffic cones, kitchen ware, carpets, clothes, catheters, saline drip tubes, heart stents, straws, coffee containers and the list goes on for a few miles but you saw a viral video once on social media telling you about the evils of plastic supermarket bags and you fell for it. Banning them will make the world a better place - lol.

Although you do not get millions of cars ended up in the sea and getting eaten by sea fishes who think they are food .

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Loaded said:

The world needs to reduce one time use plastics.

It's at a crisis point.

Plastic bags are the the most obvious target as they are so unnecessary.

Straws and coffee containers the next obvious targets along with packaging..

Everything else you listed has a longer life span or an important role.

Got to start somewhere, or shove your head up your arse like you seem to want.

• Thanks 2

What about tourists? They need to carry a reusable bag in suitcase? No plastic bags is good but....

I remember that 7/11 used to automatically give you a straw with each bottle of water, coke etc you bought. 6 waters, 6 straws. Now don't.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

What about tourists? They need to carry a reusable bag in suitcase? No plastic bags is good but....

Not just tourists... There are large nylon shopping bags being sold all over these days, that fold up to the size of a pack of playing cards (and are significantly lighter in weight.)  They cost just a couple of dollars, and are on sale in Tops, Robinsons, Rimping, and many other outlets. There are several different sizes being sold now, with this one being one of the largest. This would certainly carry two-three plastic bags worth of groceries, and still fit in a pocket, under a bike seat, or in glove box.

Nylon Bag.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kelsall said:

Your attempt to trigger me has failed. 

Why the name calling?  I'm sure you wouldn't like it if someone called you a De******** or the dreaded "S" word.

I think name calling is against forum rules, but you are obstinate in standing up for your right to be the problem. If everyone has your mindset then pollution and waste will continue. You act as if you really want an ugly, polluted. contaminated environment.

• Thanks 1

Aaargh, Matey’s, a bountiful haul indeed!  Five Rimping plastic bags (they had to double-bag one of them), beautiful and destined not only for transport, but to also be my trash bags later on.  No need to ask for them; they were handing them out to everyone, no questions asked.

I knew I was in the right store when I approached and saw a Thai woman leaving, her young son carrying the one bag of purchased items.  They were happy, and I was happy.  The convenience of the first world in wonderful Thailand!

IMG_0450.jpg

• Sad 2

Just now, Kelsall said:

Aaargh, Matey’s, a bountiful haul indeed!  Five Rimping plastic bags (they had to double-bag one of them), beautiful and destined not only for transport, but to also be my trash bags later on.  No need to ask for them; they were handing them out to everyone, no questions asked.

I knew I was in the right store when I approached and saw a Thai woman leaving, her young son carrying the one bag of purchased items.  They were happy, and I was happy.  The convenience of the first world in wonderful Thailand!

IMG_0450.jpg

No, the first world has condemned such behaviour.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Loaded said:

I like plastic bags. They can be used as:

bin liners

rain hats

storage containers

and as bags to hold your shopping.

They should be encouraged and they are free.

Thank you John for showing your ignorance. You own a company that teaches future teachers to teach the Thai kids. Please somebody stop you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

It's one thing to be in the situation where you 'need' to use these plastic bags, perhaps because you forgot to bring your own, or didn't have time to get nylon or canvas ones. It's a whole different story to be HAPPY about contributing to the pollution problem, and joking about it. I jut don't get that. 

Work with it.

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, Loaded said:

Wow you train teachers and this is the BS you quote. What a fool you are. I just feel sorry for the kids who get any of what you call trained teachers. It is because of people like you that the education level in Thailand is so low.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Throatwobbler said:

Look at post 62. Ok I admit I do not ask that exact question but the point I made is still valid.

Will you answer the question now. Do you have children?

So you confess now that you are caught.  You never asked that question and you knew it.  I don't play games with clowns like you.  You and I are through.

What is it that makes people so damn proud of the fact that they pollute the environment?

Proud of being part of the destruction of the planet?  Why?

I can understand the pollution that comes from a needed car. You do need transportation here. The municipal system isn't enough. I can understand the pollution that comes from the packaging that we are inundated with from the markets. Not everyone is willing or able to cart around a box-full of reusable containers to avoid the dozens of little plastic bags you get at the talat.

But to laugh at pollution... to be so proud that you pollute...  No, there is no way to work with that. That is nothing less than selfish. While you may not live long enough to feel the damage being done, our children certainly will. Do you really not care about them?