No Plastic Bags at Rimping Today

Kelsall

They have been charging for plastic bags in the UK for years now. Hardly anybody uses them mostly everyone takes their own canvas bags.

Also boxes are very handy, when I was young I worked at Waitrose and at the busy times people could not get enough boxes, we could not keep up with demand. (Meaning we were too slow)

And for any cheap charlies out there you can collect all the cardboard boxes from Rim Ping, break them down and sell them!!

Everyone wins !!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, konisaan said:

Every plastic shopping bag I get gets reused as a garbage bag in the kitchen. If they stop providing bags at checkouts I will have to start buying garbage bags. I don't see a net reduction in bags as far as my usage is concerned; only a small increase - namely the extra bag the garbage bags came in in the first place, which doesn't have any use. If there is anything wrong with my logic; please speak up.

Same here, but now I have seen the error of my ways.  Henceforth I will be using only canvas trash bags.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, konisaan said:

Every plastic shopping bag I get gets reused as a garbage bag in the kitchen. ...........SNIP.....  I don't see a net reduction in bags as far as my usage is concerned;......SNIP..... If there is anything wrong with my logic; please speak up.

You are correct in your thinking. There won't be much of a reduction in your case. But... your case isn't everyone's case. Although many people DO reuse some of these shopping bags as garbage bags, most people do not use all of them. They still buy the larger, heavier trash bags sold for that purpose. A small shopping bag might work well for a small, bedroom, trash bin filled mostly with tissues, but for most folks doesn't work in the kitchen for heavier, wet garbage.

I know that your amount of plastic trash, and my amount of plastic trash really isn't very much. But unfortunately, these days everyone has that small amount of plastic trash. And right now, there are several floating islands of plastic trash in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans that are ten times the size of Vatican City!  One is the size of Rhode Island. 6.3 Billion Tons!  That just ain't healthy for anyone or anything living on this planet.  Please take a look at some of the Youtube videos about this, and you will be just as shocked as I am by the enormity of the problem. It's freakin' mind-blowing...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every plastic shopping bag I get gets reused as a garbage bag in the kitchen. If they stop providing bags at checkouts I will have to start buying garbage bags. I don't see a net reduction in bags as far as my usage is concerned; only a small increase - namely the extra bag the garbage bags came in in the first place, which doesn't have any use. If there is anything wrong with my logic; please speak up.

We too use our bags for all household trash except the recycled stuff and have a lot of extra bags to give to small shopkeepers to reuse.

Hard to imagine using all the bags just for kitchen trash but sure it is possible.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kelsall said:

Same here, but now I have seen the error of my ways.  Henceforth I will be using only canvas trash bags.

Keep your day job.  Or get one.

2 hours ago, Bill97 said:

We too use our bags for all household trash except the recycled stuff and have a lot of extra bags to give to small shopkeepers to reuse.

Hard to imagine using all the bags just for kitchen trash but sure it is possible.

Same here. I use the canvas bags at Rimping, Tesco, etc, but still get more than I could ever use from the market, 7-11, et al. 

16 hours ago, dvg said:

When they would have told before that there were no bags on wednesday it was no surprice and I would take my own bag.

No excuse, why not take your own bag at all times instead of the plastic offerings at this or any other shop ?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, konisaan said:

Garbage bags are biodegradable.... so it will be better to use them than supermarket plastic bags.

6 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

No excuse, why not take your own bag at all times instead of the plastic offerings at this or any other shop ?

They have boxes, and the 'bag for life' there..... so why not just use them..... then you never have to use a plastic bag next time you go.

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

I usually dont plan on going shopping to Rimping , I usually  just pass by and decide to get take-away lunch from there .

I reuse the plastic bags to put rubbish in

5 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yeah the little bags you get with fruit and veg etc. are not much use, but the items need to be separated somehow. Would be quite happy to get them in paper. Plus I don't know why they can't just use biodegradable plastics

We went on Wednesday.  The store was deserted.  5 checkouts with few customers.  I had seen the notice about plastic bags, but forgotten about it.  We only go into Chiang Mai once every 2 weeks, so had a big trolley full.  The customer in front of us was surprised by no plastic bags and left his shopping and walked out.  The checkout girl said it had happened a lot.  We were offered a canvas bag, but we said we needed about 5 bags and were told we could only have 1.  So we had to take the 10 small boxes which took a lot of time packing, and now take up a lot of room at home until I get round to burning them (no refuse collection here).  Like others, we re-use the bags for garbage.  Try getting home delivery if you live outside Chiang Mai.

56 minutes ago, konisaan said:

....................Plus I don't know why they can't just use biodegradable plastics

The short answer is, there is no such thing as biodegradable plastic.

The long answer is that those bags that they sell, calling them biodegradable, are actually just fall-apartable. They are made of micro-beads of plastic held together with a corn starch binder. Still feel like plastic, will be as waterproof as plastic... but only for a short while... until the starch binder breaks down, and everything just falls apart... leaving thousands of plastic micro-beads.  They are already such a problem that the UK now prohibits their use! They are clogging up the drainage sewers all over the UK! One micro-bead isn't a problem, but they gang up together to form a plastic sludge that just won't wash away.

So... although you may not see the plastic bags made from the starch and plastic material after a few weeks in the ground, it's still there... It's rather like a building that's been demolished with a wrecking ball... you no longer see the building, but the rubble remains. Only in the case of the micro-beads, they get eaten accidentally by birds and fish, which get eaten by bigger birds and fish, and now YOU get to eat them.  Trust me... they are not really nutritious, and certainly not healthy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/22/2018 at 9:39 PM, EL159 said:

Its people like you that stops the world moving forward. DONT YOU UNDERSTAND ANYTHING? Plastic bags have been successfully banned in quite a number of Countries...not the most affluent ones either....Kenya, Rwanda, South Africa...and guess what? IT WORKS! I was in Kenya a couple of months ago, and the streets are cleaner, no plastic riff raff bags at all, people carry their own non plastic bags around, refreshing to see it!

Its 7/ 11 need to address the issue....anything you buy there....plastic bag, if its heavy another plastic bag, plastic spoons, plastic straws....given even if you dont ask for them....well done Rimping, make it SEVEN days a week!

I fully agree with this post, but what I do not agree with is the UK charging for their bags, I always carry a bag with me when I am back in Scotland.

• Sad 1

On 8/22/2018 at 10:59 PM, EL159 said:

People on here so DUMB. Dont you understand, its not "Macho" to "demand" a plastic bag. Its about taking a degree of responsibility for the state of the world we live in!

Go find yourself another forum to call 'people on here so DUMB'

At least we are not as dumb as you laying our will on others.

Smells like authoritarian behavior.

Edited by hugocnx
  • Like 1

That said, Rimping bags were already heavily bio degradable. Watch what happens when you use a bag for longer storage.

Bags are also very handy for your daily household waste.

Where else would you put stuff like that?

Edited by hugocnx
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, konisaan said:

When you get 5 or 6 bags full of groceries you usually generate about 1 bag of garbage.

If you are creating one bag of garbage for each bag of groceries you get, you're an environmental disaster.

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2018 at 7:44 PM, Kelsall said:

Actually, they offered me a box.  Ever try to take your groceries home in a box?

I said no, give me a plastic bag.  They did.

You should have been using your own reusable bag on your own volition without needing the store to force it on you. Been using my own bag in Thailand since I got here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

You should have been using your own reusable bag on your own volition without needing the store to force it on you. Been using my own bag in Thailand since I got here.

Uh, no.  The store should have given me a plastic bag, which they did.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

15 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Uh, no.  The store should have given me a plastic bag, which they did.

12 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I guess you just don't give a <deleted> about the environment. Up to you.

Not only do I use plastic bags, but I drive my big truck on routes serviced by songtaews, simply because it is more convenient.  My carbon footprint is huge.

Edited by Kelsall
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Not only do I use plastic bags, but I drive my big truck on routes serviced by songtaews, simply because it is more convenient.  My carbon footprint is huge.

OK, fine with it.

Acting like a pig and a troll is completely up to you. People's opinion of such behaviour is up to them.

• Like 2

While its Commendable  that people here on Thai Visa take their own shopping bags and refuse plastic ones in the Malls and Marts even refusing drinking straws

I think the message needs action by the Thais themselves 

instead of shopping Malls Marts  ect having the occasional  non plastic bag day 

it should be enforced by the Government. No plastics bags Period 

• Like 1