What is the general rule for tipping?

Boy Wonder

I am very uncomfortable with US and tipping, very uncomfortable, restaurants I manage, the rest - no,
I don't know in which situations tip is expected and I don't know how much

some years ago I had a meeting with a lawyer in DC, he maybe in late 30s or early 40s,
he claimed strongly that he never ever tip, restaurants, bars, taxis, hotels, what have you
yes, he was born and bred in US and white

Plenty of people don’t tip, if you don’t want to, you don’t have to.

When I got back to the USA from Living in asia Once several years ago I went for a pint and tried to give my change as the tip at a bar. The barmaid threw the coins at me as I was walking away.

don't even think about leaving anything less then a dollar in the USA even if it's for a single beer. It also has to be a paper bill, any coinage is frowned upon.

i have come to realize how spoiled people are in the USA now. It's a mafia racket much like tuk tuks or taxis have become in some Asian tourist cities.

and of course it does not end there, the more people pay the higher the tip requests become. Soon it will be two dollars if it's not there already.

Why didn’t you file an assault charge if the bartender threw your change at you?

Oh, that’s right, because you made it up. Or if I’d did happen, perhaps you you were so Eurorude they didn’t want a tip from you...

38 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Plenty of people don’t tip, if you don’t want to, you don’t have to.

for me its not a question of wanting or not wanting,

the challenge for me is when and how much - what is customary

remember once I had a haircut up west coast of Florida

the chap that did my hair was totally pissed off 'cause I didnt tip

how could I know that you are expected to tip bloody hairdressers

US pisses me off big time when it comes to tipping

for me its not a question of wanting or not wanting,
the challenge for me is when and how much - what is customary

remember once I had a haircut up west coast of Florida
the chap that did my hair was totally pissed off 'cause I didnt tip

how could I know that you are expected to tip bloody hairdressers
US pisses me off big time when it comes to tipping

Generally you tip (non professional) service type jobs, the people that have a direct influence on the level and or quality of service you receive.
20% is great service
10% is minimum service
0% is bad service

2 hours ago, poanoi said:

as a general rule: <removed>, no tip,

but i make an exception for massage girls that put their back into massage, to ensure i will get the same hard working girl again,

skilled masseuse are few and far in between

none of my massage girls in the past put their back on me.. instead they give me their Line and put their effort to make me satisfied...good lord and good old days.One of the reason i love LOS...god bless this country

20 minutes ago, NonthaburiBear said:

none of my massage girls in the past put their back on me.. instead they give me their Line and put their effort to make me satisfied...good lord and good old days.One of the reason i love LOS...god bless this country

i think you misunderstood me, i meant, really make an effort,

use their muscles instead of just pretending to work,

if it isnt hard enough to make me squeel it does not have therapeutic value.

i have absolutely zero interest in them beside another massage if it was effective.

an example, i currently go to a ladyboy, i got zero interest and would much prefer a girl,

but fact is he is stronger and make an effort to help.

my experience with massage in LOS is, 95% of them are a waste of time and money, and that is precisely why i give those few that ARE good a tip, cause i need them

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i think you misunderstood me, i meant, really make an effort,

use their muscles instead of just pretending to work,

if it isnt hard enough to make me squeel it does not have therapeutic value.

i have absolutely zero interest in them beside another massage if it was effective.

an example, i currently go to a ladyboy, i got zero interest and would much prefer a girl,

but fact is he is stronger and make an effort to help.

my experience with massage in LOS is, 95% of them are a waste of time and money, and that is precisely why i give those few that ARE good a tip, cause i need them

ahhh tot we're talk about soapy. Yea..been there done that, nowadaysi always ask my fan if i wanted real massage. I never want LB do massage on me..bit scary i think and not my cup of tea.

On 10/11/2018 at 3:36 AM, observer90210 said:

Generous to leave say a 100THB tip for a 200 THB massage.....but on the other hand if everybody starts to leave such 100 THB tips, in a short time the mamasan of the massage parlour will raise the basic price from 200 THB to 300 THB considering that people can afford it...and so on......

It is hard for westerners not to feel sorry....we all have empathy.....but for god's sake this is Thailand and please do your philanthrophy by Thai standards and don't cause an inflation of the prices with overwhelming generosity.

Basic price is now 250 BHT in Chiang Mai.

3 hours ago, NonthaburiBear said:

Are you referring to being masturbated ?

• Sad 1

Looks like the tipping controversy is between US tippers and Euro non tippers. Guess thats why waitresses and service personnel always ask me where I am from, and give stellar service ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lust said:

I tip for food delivery services (20baht normally, 40 baht when raining).

I normally tip for massages (50baht).

I only tip in restaurants when the server does something extra that is unexpected.

I tip when I’m allowed to park in convenient spot that the guard opens for me. (20-40baht).

I also tip for longer taxi rides. I just round up. Going to the airport for example is around 375baht so I give 400.

It’s not going to bankrupt me and I want to make people’s lives better.

Why would you tip for food delivery services? when they already charge you a delivery fee. ????????????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Looks like the tipping controversy is between US tippers and Euro non tippers. Guess thats why waitresses and service personnel always ask me where I am from, and give stellar service ????

OMG they just asking you to either be polite or to make conversation, I know exactly where you hang out, so don't say the "waitress". ????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mike West said:

OMG they just asking you to either be polite or to make conversation, I know exactly where you hang out, so don't say the "waitress". ????

I dont tip in Thermae ????

6 hours ago, Mike West said:

Why would you tip for food delivery services? when they already charge you a delivery fee. ????????????

Why tip anywhere when the wages are baked in?

if wages are not enough that's between the employee and the  establishment, not the customer.

if I want stellar service I will goto a more expensive establishment, not tip at a place where I don't expect or need extra services.

Edited by Dick Crank

On 11/7/2018 at 2:24 PM, mogandave said:

Why didn’t you file an assault charge if the bartender threw your change at you?

Oh, that’s right, because you made it up. Or if I’d did happen, perhaps you you were so Eurorude they didn’t want a tip from you...

Forgive him Dick - he can't go two posts without labeling someone a liar.  I guess you take the good with the bad with morgandave in that he'll talk smack about you but at least he'll leave a tip.  I've been to the US and have had a waitress get upset over a small tip (<15% but >10%) more than once and yes they do throw things on occasion. And if you file an "assault charge" against a lady server?  Be prepared to be arrested yourself and now that "listen and believe" and "metoo" are the law of the land.  Best just to avoid the US restaurants altogether and stay happy and content in the LOS.  

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, remorhaz said:

Forgive him Dick - he can't go two posts without labeling someone a liar.  I guess you take the good with the bad with morgandave in that he'll talk smack about you but at least he'll leave a tip.  I've been to the US and have had a waitress get upset over a small tip (<15% but >10%) more than once and yes they do throw things on occasion. And if you file an "assault charge" against a lady server?  Be prepared to be arrested yourself and now that "listen and believe" and "metoo" are the law of the land.  Best just to avoid the US restaurants altogether and stay happy and content in the LOS.  

I would leave a penny on the table if the waitress had an attitude problem

1 hour ago, Ks45672 said:

I would leave a penny on the table if the waitress had an attitude problem

We were not allowed to leave a steak house in Dearborn. 

Say $90 meal for 3 people. 

Put $100 down.

The waitress said. 

"Its not going to work"

I need more tip..

And the meal was average. 

She explained. 

Check in gets $8.90 an hour 

Wait staff get $2.75 plus tips.

She needed 17% tip to make her base rate wage. Its criminal. 

Yet at Big Fish, across from Ford hq the waiting staff all young uni people and very obliging were making $150 a night tips..

2 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Put $100 down.

The waitress said. 

"Its not going to work"

I need more tip..

She explained. 

Yet at Big Fish, across from Ford hq the waiting staff all young uni people and very obliging were making $150 a night tips..

Should have taken the the $100 back and put down $95 and say, "Sweetheart, the meal was average as was your service until you complained". Then walked out.

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

If you use the same pump regularly they’ll knock each other over to get you pumped...

My missus did that to the pump jockey who cleaned the window for me. 

She is a generous tipper. 

My money.

Seriously, she has done wait staff and Chinese gave a one baht tip in a 1500 baht feed.

And the girls are doing 9.5 hour days for 300 a day.

I understand why she does it.

Put $100 down.
The waitress said. 
"Its not going to work"
I need more tip..

She explained. 

She was only working one table?

I’m an old man. I grew up in the US, worked all over the country and I still go back for work and play at least four times a year. I’ve never had that happen to me.

Must have been a nice steakhouse where the waitress is making change.

Not allowed to leave, really?

10 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

She explained. 

Sounds like Thai logic - I am making less then others so you must pay me a higher tip.......

I am with @Nyezhov on this. Wage issues should be nothing to do with customers.