What is the general rule for tipping?

Boy Wonder

Generally speaking, I like to tip people that do good services for me, whether I'm in the west or in Thailand.

At my hotel in Bangkok, I tipped, and each person I tipped accepted it and was very happy.

Even my drivers let me tip them.

Now I'm in the outskirts of Bangkok eating at some street food places and they won't let me tip.

Is this normal? I am trying not to take it personal but just seems weird since the other Thais happily accepted my tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Sad 1

I usually give around 5% at the fancier places. 20-40 baht at places like MK or Bonchon. 20 baht for the food deliveryman.

IF and only IF service is good. And in most cases here, they usually are. The waiters here usually work hard and have good service but I hear they get paid like 8-9k a month. A little helps.

• Like 1

Just now, soistalker said:

When I used to date Thai women, they would always insist I tip the servers in restaurants.  When told that I knew Thais don't tip and why should I, the response was always "you are falang; falang have money." Usually that was the last date.

They were preparing you for the morning after when they expect a tip for themself ?

Moved to Nan three months ago. We tip around 10% and at times have encountered genuine surprised reactions from the servers in these family run restaurants, and a couple of attempts the not take the tip. The wife lets them know the money is because we are happy. We frequent a small number of these restaurants and there is no doubt our regular custom and tips lead to more focused service and lots of smiles. Perhaps the happiest reaction came from the smallest tip as was from the guy who delivers the large plastic containers of drinking water at 12 baht each. First tip was for two...24 baht, wife gave him 40 baht and said we don't need change. Really really genuine happy and surprised reaction from him. Unlike many who I suspect get their water dropped at the front gate/door, ours gets carried right to the back door. And we have been very happy to increase the tip amount. It took my Thai wife a number of years to understand why I tip when it is not required and she is now comfortable to do so herself. She can tip appropriately now in Thailand, Singapore, Australia, UAE and the USA where we have lived and always gets up to speed on tipping when we visit somewhere new.

• Thanks 1

I think there is a distinction in Thailand between those paid to do a job, and others who rely solely on tips. For example, at a restaurant the guy who guides you in and out of your parking space is in all probability reliant on the tips he receives, so giving him 20 baht is normal, even if his services were not really required. Inside the restaurant is somewhat different, as there is no real tipping culture: Thais rarely leave much, maybe the loose change topped up with a 20 baht note. The problem arises when non-Thai customers start leaving sizeable tips, which the owners will use as an excuse to cut the wages of their staff. Better to do what the locals do and not upset the apple cart.

• Like 2

You opened this post asking for advice, presumably from more experienced people who live here. As soon as someone helpfully, honestly answered your question, you flippantly thumbed your nose at him. Please go away.

Your perception is off. It was a genuine apology. Don't read into things so much..

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

No tipping required in Thailand, sometimes people do earn a tip but mostly not, standing looking at their phones or watching tv does not warrant a tip.

And definitely not big hotels or restaurants that charge ++, they are seldom worth their claim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

My attitude appears to be different to yours when it comes to restaurants. I am happy to leave tips at the 3 local family-run restaurants we regularly visit as the owners are all good friends of the wife's and they always give us a warm welcome. Indeed, our bills are now discounted to such an extent that whatever tip I leave seldom exceeds the undiscounted total these days!

When it comes to chain restaurants, on the other hand, I seldom leave more than a bit of loose change by way of a tip - and definitely nothing if a service charge has been added.

I’d agree with that.

• Thanks 1