What is the general rule for tipping?

Boy Wonder

On 8/23/2018 at 1:11 PM, Fairynuff said:

Tipping IS required in Thailand, just not everywhere. Street food stalls, definitely not. Local style restaurants not really unless the person serving you is particularly good at service and not the owner. Taxis I round up to the next 10 baht or for a nice driver a real tip. Hotel restaurants will normally add service but I generally leave a bit extra for good service. I’ve basically learned appropriate tipping from Thai friends

Another Thing I find is that a VERY large percent of Proprietors KEEP the tips for the establishment or only give the poor worker a portion of the tip..... I usually leave only the small change in the folders (especially when the 'boss' brings the bill) and find the waiter/waitress and hand 'paper-money to them as tip...... In places (not Hi Class) that I 'frequent' often I often send a 20B or more to the COOK..... It passes on good 'vibes' and leaves me feeling good too.......

BUT too many 'Proprietors' wind up with your 'Tips' instead of the workers...... $9 a day is often the workers wage (plus eats, but nothing expensive).... So I try to see the worker puts it in 'their pockets...... 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Another Thing I find is that a VERY large percent of Proprietors KEEP the tips for the establishment or only give the poor worker a portion of the tip..... I usually leave only the small change in the folders (especially when the 'boss' brings the bill) and find the waiter/waitress and hand 'paper-money to them as tip...... In places (not Hi Class) that I 'frequent' often I often send a 20B or more to the COOK..... It passes on good 'vibes' and leaves me feeling good too.......

BUT too many 'Proprietors' wind up with your 'Tips' instead of the workers...... $9 a day is often the workers wage (plus eats, but nothing expensive).... So I try to see the worker puts it in 'their pockets...... 

General rule of thumb I was told was that leaving money in the black folder thing ends up in the communal tip jar, giving money directly to your waiter or waitress can go straight in their pocket. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that some owners skim off the top of the communal tip jar though. 

• Like 1

i tip normally but if the place does not express grattitude and act like they are automatically entitled to it then next time no tip. if they have the nerve to ask why or tell me to give tip i fill them in on the reason, as if they might ever learn

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

General rule of thumb I was told was that leaving money in the black folder thing ends up in the communal tip jar, giving money directly to your waiter or waitress can go straight in their pocket. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that some owners skim off the top of the communal tip jar though. 

Considering that it takes more than wait staff to make a good dining experience, the communal tip seems fairer.... assuming it is fairly distributed, that is.

Edited by tropo

7 hours ago, SammyT said:

If you have a thai gf/wife discuss with them or if you are close friends with food workers ask around......... There are some as you suspect with tips shared by communal tip jar..... but when you learn what really happens in  a large percentage of the eateries (not counting most HiSo places) ..... You will be appaled in Many (majority) of cases...

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 1:38 PM, remorhaz said:

I used to go to hotels grab the key and immediately walk out the front door.  This was because even though I had no luggage (just a backpack) some Thai guy would walk me to my room, expect me to act amazed at how the aircon worked, then immediately stuck out his hand. 

Don't believe your story . Been to hundreds of hotels in Thailand and never experienced anyone stucking out their hand for tip.   In the US however , yes. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2018 at 11:13 PM, Fairynuff said:

Sorry to upset you....but you’re just stingy! I’d only give a 2% tip if I wanted to insult someone.

Don't engage him (the <deleted> you responded to)...he's purposely being a <deleted> to get a rise out of people.

• Haha 1

Don't believe your story . Been to hundreds of hotels in Thailand and never experienced anyone stucking out their hand for tip.   In the US however , yes. 

I don’t believe the story either.

It has been my experience that in the nicer hotels the reception staff shows you to your room, and the bell staff brings the luggage later.

I never even had bell staff hold their hand out in the US. Stand and wait, yes. Hand out? No.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

It has been my experience that in the nicer hotels the reception staff shows you to your room, and the bell staff brings the luggage later.

I never even had bell staff hold their hand out in the US. Stand and wait, yes. Hand out? No.

Agreed. I stay at hotels on a weekly basis and I've never had someone stick out their hand. Yes, linger and be overly helpful in anticipation that you'll give a tip, but stick out their hand? Never. 

• Like 1

After reading most of the previous 19 pages I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of farangs living in Thailand that could not live in a 'first' or 'second' World Country because they don't have enough money to live on.........

So many are so poor that they have to 'think hard' to decide whether to leave a tip... OR.... Do without another beer or even maybe several days tipping could pay for a 'cheap' girl off the beach for a short-time..... So terrible to be a 'POOR Farang' and have to face such torment all the time.......

My Mother (rest her soul) raised me to give a little thought to 'what it is like' to walk in those other peoples shoes (trade places for just a while)..... I STILL REMEMBER THAT....... And I came from a country where there was opportunity and 'INCENTIVE' and therefore I (as many farangs) here have 'some money'....... Therefore if it comes to walking or ride the Bus....... I will Pay for the bus (even though it costs as much as 4 beers) IN COMPARISON to those who don't like to walk and try to sneak a ride on the bus for free........

This (THAILAND) doesn't offer the opportunity or incentive as WE FARANGS had and some ot them turn to thievery.... but others DO WORK (As in Resturants) and struggle along and come to serve my food -- In serving me I can't help but observe them and compare what it would be like 'in their shoes'.... And just that alone is enough for me to want to add just a bit of improvement to their life -- even 20 baht....... 20 baht won't hurt me and it sure does give me a warm feeling to help them.......

And MIND YOU.... In Thailand the rich like to get richer so desperately that they have no thought to their 'underlings'... and bosses in Resturants often (NOT ALWAYS -- but often) keep all or a lot of the tips intended for the help (I and my wife has become friends with many workers enough to ask them about tip money -- assuring that we won't tell the boss -- and they will confide i  me what happens with the tips (It's appaling in many cases)...... So nowdays I put it in the workers hand(s) 20 baht to 2 or even 3 workers won't hurt me and the smile of thanks is a reward to me for the beer I could have bought with it....

IMHO        In My Humble Opinion........

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 9:54 PM, ezzra said:

In Thailand no tipping is required thanks god for that not having to go thru this awkward phase every time you finish a meal or check in and out from a hotel, of course that there are mainly tourists that spoil this for everyone else, but if you must give, anywhere from 2% to 5% is advised...

I am going to Bangkok next week and this information will be helpful for me ?

On 8/22/2018 at 11:52 PM, OJAS said:

My attitude appears to be different to yours when it comes to restaurants. I am happy to leave tips at the 3 local family-run restaurants we regularly visit as the owners are all good friends of the wife's and they always give us a warm welcome. Indeed, our bills are now discounted to such an extent that whatever tip I leave seldom exceeds the undiscounted total these days!

When it comes to chain restaurants, on the other hand, I seldom leave more than a bit of loose change by way of a tip - and definitely nothing if a service charge has been added.

On 9/4/2018 at 10:22 AM, mogandave said:

Quite apart from which - why on earth would you not tip a person that is obviously poorly paid, if you have such an easy opportunity to do so?

As I've mentioned before, I LOOK for opportunities to give poorly paid staff a small tip which means little to me, but hopefully more to them.

Not so much in restaurants (apart from coins) where they expect them and I'm unlikely to go back - but more towards those in those extremely poorly paid jobs that have no expectation of a tip, but are still helpful.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 7:43 AM, sawadeeken said:

I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of farangs living in Thailand that could not live in a 'first' or 'second' World Country because they don't have enough money to live on.........

So many are so poor that they have to 'think hard' to decide whether to leave a tip..

Just because you are brainwashed with the tipping system in your "first World  country", does not mean that you have to enforce this system worldwide. If you're rich enough, feel free to stand in any corner and hand hand out your 20baht bills to show off your wealth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is interesting how angry all the chiselers get because someone else chooses to give away some of their own money.

It’s a good bet they’d be the first to demand the government take more money from “the rich” (i.e. anyone that has more than they do) and give it to them.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mogandave said:

It is interesting how angry all the chiselers get because someone else chooses to give away some of their own money.

It’s a good bet they’d be the first to demand the government take more money from “the rich” (i.e. anyone that has more than they do) and give it to them.

It's always been that way.  One of the less appealing characteristics of the expat community in Thailand is that people are excessively concerned about how much other expats spend.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

It's always been that way.  One of the less appealing characteristics of the expat community in Thailand is that people are excessively concerned about how much other expats spend.

Class system?

They must be assimilating well into Thai culture then. I neither speak nor understand conversational Thai, I know a lot of Thai names of things but usually only if my wife is the one enunciating them and yet I can pick out baht and rxy between Thais speaking and it seems to be the two most frequent words in their conversations.
Early on I used to ask what the conversation was about knowing it involved money (most likely mine) until I learned it’s alway the same stuff, how much you/they paid/owed/borrowed/want to borrow/need co-sign, do we want to buy some car, rai, factory, beach house, etc.
My wife explained how it’s rather normal and not considered too insulting along with things like blurting out someone looks a little fat. After a few trips to the US meeting most of my friends and family she now sees the cultural differences (and how I feel about money talk) as not once over the years has anyone discussed money or called anyone fat.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Just because you are brainwashed with the tipping system in your "first World  country", does not mean that you have to enforce this system worldwide. If you're rich enough, feel free to stand in any corner and hand hand out your 20baht bills to show off your wealth.

Sounds like a personal attack on forum.......

I'm not brain washed...... I am a quick thinkes and very attentive to myself and others around me...... Maybe something to do with my mother's (Bless her -- RIP) teaching when younger..... she taught me that 'IF' I can afford a luxury, no matter how slight, consider those serving me who may not be able to afford those same luxury........ Luxury can be defined as drinking at a comfortable bar with sexy ladies enticing you to come there vs. buying that beer and sitting on the steps in front of your 7-11.... OR..... going out to eat a prepared meal when your budget only allows for buying a loaf of bread and a pack of bologna and sitting on the front steps of your 7-11 ot Familymart....

I know Ex-pats who will walk 4 miles to save 'bus fare' ..... Good for them ..... AT LEAST they don't try to sneak on the bus and 'ride-for-free'.........

YOU SAY... "does not mean that you have to enforce this system"

I SAY..... How warped you are to think that I will go out of my way, or waste my time enforcing this......... I am wise enough to know that you can't change a 'Cheap Charlie'.... So I will just continue on as I do trying to be considerate of those who must serve me (as in Thailand)...... (Knowing that the poor workers are already accustomed to the 'Cheap Charlies' who want to enjoy things but seldom/never TIP)

YOU SAY..... feel free to stand in any corner and hand hand out your 20baht bills to show off your wealth.

I say...... What warped thinking causes you to think that i would stand in any corner' to show my appreciation.......... I just do it the normal way by putting in their hand..... ensuring the boss don't 'skim it'.....

49 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

AND those same Expats are so selfish/self centered that they don't care about (similar to HiSo Thai's) the 'poor lives' of those serving them and helping them enjoy their retirement........ THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SHARING ---- PURELY SELFISH.....

Just now, sawadeeken said:

AND those same Expats are so selfish/self centered that they don't care about (similar to HiSo Thai's) the 'poor lives' of those serving them and helping them enjoy their retirement........ THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SHARING ---- PURELY SELFISH.....

Is this Ken with the harem of women and was trying to find a partner for his bird with a gimpy leg?

11 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

The general rule I have followed for a good while is as follows.

I no longer tip.

There are many players on your team 'Cheap Charlies' (and I know a lot of you)........ But I haven't come across any winners yet, on your team.......  LOL .....

Just now, sawadeeken said:

There are many players on your team 'Cheap Charlies' (and I know a lot of you)........ But I haven't come across any winners yet, on your team.......  LOL .....

I stopped tipping when our lad was born so I know who is winning thanks. I save every 50 and 20 baht that comes into my possession.