Only in Thailand? Drains built ABOVE the road

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, webfact said:

The problem arose he said due to budgets. The road is meant to be raised up 30 cms to half a meter but there was no cash to do it just yet.

The money would not be available until November.

What's wrong with people ....a good example of "forward thinking".(thinking ahead).

16 hours ago, missoura said:

I have seen this work before and eventually the road does get built. And where does the water go? To the houses which are now below street level. It is then the home owners responsibility to raise their house which many can not afford. So at the end of the day, these homes will suffer from even worse flooding. 

Exactly. You couldn't make up such an unbelievable event if you tried but these corrupt officials seem to manage it time and time again. They must be getting a bonus from the insurance companies.

16 hours ago, rebo said:

Beside the idiocy of the positioning of the drain --- With a price of more than 3'000 THB per linear metre I would be interested how much money was secretly drained into private pockets ...

"drained into private pockets ..."   Love ya pun !

Can not believe silly villagers do not comprehend  basics .

Firstly because drains are above the road , rain and water will not reach the road, will go straight down the drain .

secondly building in the ground means doing more work but less money.

Job well done and someone deserves promotion ???

16 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Ahh, but a Thai to question or challenge another Thai, would surely lead to a gun or sword fight.  Taught young, to smile and never question, causing potential "face"...

Sad but true.  Face is everything here in Thailand, Thousands are killed/murdered every year because of it.

Like my wife says " Just wait & see " & then do something about it if you don't like it 
That attitude makes me so angry here.
Like wait for an accident or death to happen and then do something.
Anyone knows the German fairy tale of the "Schildbürger"?
Sometimes I feel like this is happening here in Thailand.
And this tale is from the middle age.

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And few will believe that the engineers responsible for this brilliant plan were trained at MIT! They had a choice of rocket prolusion for NASA, systems guidance for JPL, or designing the new shell for the next generation of jet fighters. They chose the local sewer design to work on instead. Good work fellas! Always let gravity do your work for you! 

In this case gravity is not,  and can not currently do the work.  This particular case is simply ludicrous.    In other places with a high water table is it partly done like this but to less inconvenience.  They lay the new  storm water drain under ground which could be up to 1/2 a metre or more in diameter but put the cesspits on top like short concrete towers to the expected height of the completed road for traffic to avoid until the road is raised. If they avoid peoples' drive ways it is not too bad until it rains and if the old storm water drains have usually been replaced by the new incomplete ones, the flooding can be horrendous,  Then they raise the road (eventually) and install multiple grates on all the square holes.  The road surface unfortunately is usually built in the typical Thai way with a of base of clay fill  and then sand under the concrete.  And then every thing looks good for two years until the clay starts to soften and leach.  Then the sand moves around and the road starts to break up, as it must.  Repeat.  A road laid on proper layered and compacted base-course materials should last decades with occasional repairs and resurfacing usually only every 10 - 15 years depending on loads and traffic.  Concrete overseas also usually is of a conformal recipe.  Here, as you drive down a concrete highway, you see different coloured concrete on different separate the slabs  Every few slabs there are slabs with a "mistake" in the mixing of that batch where presumably not enough cement is used. The surface starts to erode and trucks start throwing stone at your wind shield.  Eventually re-inforcing starts to show.  Lots of this over the last 5 years on the new road north of Pattaya.  I think it was only about 2 years old in places before the surface began to fail.

With tarseal laid on inadequate base-course layers, potholes start to appear within a couple of years and patching starts.  Resurfacing appears common at 4 to 5 years

One has to wonder why it is done this way at an unnecessary waste of billions every year.  Perhaps there is a good reason.  T.I.T.

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

You couldn't make it up

Don't have to, the explanation is logical. However, funds didn't get allocated. Obviously the road was to be raised to drain into the drainage system. Add in recent heavy flooding. The locals will soon build ramps to access their houses until the road's raised. 

Just a couple of questions/observations

1. Where does the water drain to or is this the unfinished model and the finished model will need some wasteland to empty into.
  2. The drain wall is not straight - do they not know what a string line is even if they can't afford a laser to keep it on the straight and level.
  3. The metal steps to help people climb over the drain wall occupy at least 25% of the road. how long will it be before somebody hits the steps in a vehicle, bike or walking home drunk?
  4. There are wooden electricity poles sticking out of the drain - this I assume will mean after some time the poles will succumb to rot from being in the water a great deal of the time.
  5. There even appears there is a veranda post embedded in the drain - will that not restrict the flow of draining water.
  6. Have they blocked off car access to the villages land?
  7. How many injuries will there be from house owner stagging home drunk and trying to climb over the drain?

Rhetorical questions - I am sure the "engineers" will not bother to answer after all it Singha/Leo time.

Honestly do not see a problem with it.

its not like my contractors who put all power circuit breakers in the showers and then to top up the stupidity attached fire extinguishers high up by the ceiling.

If that was not good enough, they ran out tiles tiling the lobby, so went out and bought different color tiles because guy who they sent out to buy was color blind .

find it hard to believe ? Pop over I still have multi coloured floors?

24 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Don't have to, the explanation is logical. However, funds didn't get allocated. Obviously the road was to be raised to drain into the drainage system. Add in recent heavy flooding. The locals will soon build ramps to access their houses until the road's raised. 

Are you Thai? your thinking is as stupid as the clowns who did the drain.

The drain was to be installed to alleviate flooding to the homes, raising the drain/ road exacerbates the problem, so the homes will only get more serious flooding.

Several years ago when i lived in Prakonchai, the same was done outside my home, drain raised, road raised, every time it rained i had to pump water out of the house, fed up with this i built a new house behind the old 1 with the floor level 1 meter above road level.

18 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Like my wife says " Just wait & see " & then do something about it if you don't like it 

Mine always says "this is how Thai people do"

which I interpret as 'have another beer and don't worry about it'

18 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The drain was to be installed to alleviate flooding to the homes, raising the drain/ road exacerbates the problem, so the homes will only get more serious flooding.

Several years ago when i lived in Prakonchai, the same was done outside my home, drain raised, road raised, every time it rained i had to pump water out of the house, fed up with this i built a new house behind the old 1 with the floor level 1 meter above road level.

only one metre? Good luck with that.  Only joking.  My house and swimming pool are 2 metres above road level, which is ideal when I clean the pool to waste. 

At least they are putting an actual drain in!

20 years ago I lived on Soi Chayapruk 1 in Pattaya, they resurfaced the road and installed drainage to the sea, took over a year, the road was a nightmare to drive on, they eventually finished ? 

Two years later they had to dig the road up again, they had Not installed drain piping, only drain covers - nobody was prosecuted.............................. ?

28 minutes ago, BestB said:

Honestly do not see a problem with it.

its not like my contractors who put all power circuit breakers in the showers and then to top up the stupidity attached fire extinguishers high up by the ceiling.

If that was not good enough, they ran out tiles tiling the lobby, so went out and bought different color tiles because guy who they sent out to buy was color blind .

find it hard to believe ? Pop over I still have multi coloured floors?

The big question is - did you pay them for the work??

30 minutes ago, colinneil said:

And that, my dear friend, is exactly what they expect you to do!

We have the same situation in Koh Lanta, to solve the flooding problems in a particular area they raised the roads and drainage channels approx. 1.5m. The poor residents are seriously struggling, and when / if they resolve their access issues, their lower floors will be under water, as there are no drain inlets on the land side.

We've also got shiny new motorcycle lanes with electricity poles parked in the centre - more road deaths imminent..... Or, more to the point, they will never get used, a great waste of money! Is it beyond the realms of possibility that these 'engineers' use a tape measure when relocating the posts / setting out the roads?

Archived