Only in Thailand? Drains built ABOVE the road

webfact

and by the look of it they havent given it a fall or anyway to drain into, looks like they just put on sides and a top, no bottom at all, will probably wash away in the first flood they have or just fill up with crap

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

What's wrong with people ....a good example of "forward thinking".(thinking ahead).

Forward thinking!? It would be nice even it they thought 'sideways'. Not far from where I live some locals have for the past 18 months been riding over soil etc where previously it was a concreted soi. First, the road was dug up to replace smaller drain pipes with the much larger concrete ones. Problem was no one thought of putting an entrance drain on top or at the end of the soi so the new pipes were useless. So it was all dug up again and a central square section was inserted which had metal drains on top. Several other smaller drains were also inserted. It was concreted and the locals thought it was finished. Think again. Someone decided to dig it up again to put plastic piping underground (for future cables I think, but not sure). Only about two months ago it was concreted over yet again but apparently, so I'm told, while concreting the end of the soi someone noticed something odd. Plastic piping sticking out of the end of of the water drain pipe and couldn't be pulled out. The road is going to be dug up again to find out where the plastic pipe is fixed...Hmmm, I wonder if....Naaahh, surely not...the mind boggles.

I think you are all being very negative!!! They are looking from outside the box!! Less maintenance, unlikely to block up. Really needs a sealed cover over the top to keep it completely dry! But in general, this will last for many years. If they could find a way of building an aqueduct type channel on top of this current design. Then the small amount of rain water, that will find its way into the channel could travel through that, and the locales could then throw all there plastic rubbish in it, as a continuous rubbish collection system. So no need for dustmen any more?? Just need a bloody big hole at the end, that could be constantly on fire. This putting the final nail in the coffin with respect to already polluted air. Win win, as far as I can see. 

2 hours ago, phartley58 said:

It's even worse in Nigeria. Nearly everyone resents expats being there and apparently we aren't needed! ????

Reminds me of a situation in an architects office in the Seychelles, local guy looks over my shoulder -"I can do that", my reply - "really, then why didn't they employ you for the position", answer - "they didn't know about me", reply - "strange then that they found me 6,000 miles away".......

18 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Reminds me of a situation in an architects office in the Seychelles, local guy looks over my shoulder -"I can do that", my reply - "really, then why didn't they employ you for the position", answer - "they didn't know about me", reply - "strange then that they found me 6,000 miles away".......

Oh mate, it's relentless in Lagos. Them, "We don't need you here." Me, "Oh really, so that's why the boss (Nigerian) brought me in on 10 times the salary that you're on?" The silence is deafening! 

Gotta love the Thai approach to building. Rather than make sure a floor is level, they add a step up inside a business.
Perfect opportunity to fall and hurt yourself. Pattaya is full of these unexpected step ups and step downs. Add to this, the wretched condition of the sidewalks and you create a public hazard like no other.

On 8/23/2018 at 11:06 AM, missoura said:

I have seen this work before and eventually the road does get built. And where does the water go? To the houses which are now below street level. It is then the home owners responsibility to raise their house which many can not afford. So at the end of the day, these homes will suffer from even worse flooding. 

The mistake seems to be that no one told them to DIG the drain....

Not a civil engineer but all water will follow gravity to the lowest (mutual) point(klong).

Now that deducted is the reason they built like the Chonburi bypass for examlpe? Here, wouldn't need to transport all that water through the "trough" where that moo baan is, on it's way to a mutual lower point?

Mind you Thailand indeed has some/many very peculiarities.

On 8/23/2018 at 4:06 PM, missoura said:

I have seen this work before and eventually the road does get built. And where does the water go? To the houses which are now below street level. It is then the home owners responsibility to raise their house which many can not afford. So at the end of the day, these homes will suffer from even worse flooding. 

Exactly what happened to the house belonging to wife's parents. The entire bottom floor of their house was destroyed, and no-one did anything about it. No comeback, nothing. I even offered to get them a lawyer. They weren't interested. To them, it was just fate. Unbelievable. A very different culture to what we are used to.

On 8/24/2018 at 8:16 AM, outsider said:

After so many million years of evolution from pond scum, you'd expect them to have some basic levels of intelligence, at the very least...

That is what baffles me. Why have so many countries been able to develop and produce incredible things in any area you care to name, even a couple of centuries ago, while a country like Thailand - which is so proud of its culture and long history - has never produced a single thing of use to the world and can't even get the basics such as this right.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That is what baffles me. Why have so many countries been able to develop and produce incredible things in any area you care to name, even a couple of centuries ago, while a country like Thailand - which is so proud of its culture and long history - has never produced a single thing of use to the world and can't even get the basics such as this right.

& from what I've seen they just copy things that have been developed for yrs & call it a break through

Just seen on TV where they made a robot vehicle that could follow a magnetic line - This has been used in a much more suffisticated situation in other countries already 

Ok a little of topic

Thailand, a third world country in the past, present and future. Only an Idiot would

build a drain like this one , especially when the houses along the road will be that

much lower than the future road height. In a modern country the drain would have been trenched

and cement or pipe put into the trench, then the road built not any higher than the level of

the houses on each side. Of course this is Thailand, and not much will change.

On 8/23/2018 at 11:37 AM, colinneil said:

That seems to be the Thai way, wait until its finished then kick off.

Look at the judges houses at Doi suthep, that construction must have been going on for many months before anybody complained.

You really are not aware of the Thai way or do not live in CM to have sufficient background knowledge:

Some of the protesters initiated to accurse that development.

Everyone knows, it takes some time to convince the bad spirits and they need even more time to drive the good spirits out and settle in !

?

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Thailand, a third world country in the past, present and future. Only an Idiot would

build a drain like this one , especially when the houses along the road will be that

much lower than the future road height. In a modern country the drain would have been trenched

and cement or pipe put into the trench, then the road built not any higher than the level of

the houses on each side. Of course this is Thailand, and not much will change.

IMHO all of that has nothing to do with 3rd versus "developed" world.

It is more of:

Get that xxx construction finished - no matter, how you do it.

The only important thing is: get the money flowing in our pockets as fast as possible.

But!  Do not forget: Do it in a way, so that we have to rework it again and the money keeps flowing !

some peoples just stick with the plan. To stuborn or lazy to ask questions.

Last y in my company they were installing a plaster wall what needed to be placed in line with the excisting wall.

Even i could see the new one was installed 5 cm out centre even when he started to mount the profiles.

The constructor kept building until it was finished, then go ask the architect if that was normal.

So he teared down the wall again and rebuild: he could charge extra work to the company.

Ahem. How much to raise the road? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to put the drain in the ground?

LIke a previous poster said the water will run into the lower houses.

Or they could leave the road where it is and raise the countryside?

Just now, sanemax said:

They are raising the level of the road and they are putting the drains in first , once the drains are in place they can build the road at the same height as the drains

Then we'd have to question the logic of building the drains that far above the level of the nearby houses... 

An excuse for stupid cannot be found...

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then we'd have to question the logic of building the drains that far above the level of the nearby houses... 

An excuse for stupid cannot be found...

I do think that the reason for that would be to stop the road from getting flooded

Archived