Treasurer Scott Morrison to become Australia's next prime minister

webfact

I hope Morrison does OK. He is a happy clapper*, and that causes concern. Dutton will probably bide his time. Bishop had little chance, being a woman, and somewhat liberal.

* I don't care if people are religious. I simply wish they would give up trying to recruit me and wangle money out of the government. Paying tax would be good also (obviously deuctions for genuine charitable expenditure).

Malcolm cant complain - but he did.  He ousted Aboott in 2015 when he was the PM after he won the election against Rudd in 2013 (who had previously ousted Gillard).

And when Malcolm ousted Abbott, that was the first time that a sitting Liberal PM had ever been removed while in Office by the members voting him out (Abbott never saw it coming).    

He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword Malcolm ?

Likely outcome of all this, is that Libs will implement a similar system that Rudd implemented in Labor.  Under that system the sitting Labor leader cannot be removed unless there is a 60% vote by the members.  After every election the position is vacant and the process of selecting a new leader takes about 3-4 weeks, and is locked in until the next election.  Shorten has gone through some very tough times as Labor leader in Opposition, but because of the leadership system Labor has put in place, changing the Labor leader against his/her will is extremely difficult. This has given Labor stability of leadership between elections.  The Libs will surely implement something like that before the next election.  Surely.

53 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Malcolm cant complain - but he did.  He ousted Aboott in 2015 when he was the PM after he won the election against Rudd in 2013 (who had previously ousted Gillard).

And when Malcolm ousted Abbott, that was the first time that a sitting Liberal PM had ever been removed while in Office by the members voting him out (Abbott never saw it coming).    

He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword Malcolm ?

Likely outcome of all this, is that Libs will implement a similar system that Rudd implemented in Labor.  Under that system the sitting Labor leader cannot be removed unless there is a 60% vote by the members.  After every election the position is vacant and the process of selecting a new leader takes about 3-4 weeks, and is locked in until the next election.  Shorten has gone through some very tough times as Labor leader in Opposition, but because of the leadership system Labor has put in place, changing the Labor leader against his/her will is extremely difficult. This has given Labor stability of leadership between elections.  The Libs will surely implement something like that before the next election.  Surely.

I will have to disagree with your comments.

John Gorton was deposed by Billy McMahon in 1971. The funny thing in 1971 was that Gorton when the vote was tied voted for his own removal.

A Labor leader who is Prime Minister needs 75% of the vote to be deposed  and 60% when Opposition leader.

22 hours ago, ripstanley said:

I will have to disagree with your comments.

John Gorton was deposed by Billy McMahon in 1971. The funny thing in 1971 was that Gorton when the vote was tied voted for his own removal.

A Labor leader who is Prime Minister needs 75% of the vote to be deposed  and 60% when Opposition leader.

Good point - forgot about that one when the 'VW' took over Gorton, who became PM when Holt disappeared.  Very interesting that - a Senator being PM.

Thanks for that clarification about 60% when in opposition, but if Shorten is elected PM it will be 75%.

• Like 1

Newspoll: Coalition support plunges after leadership spill: https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/08/26/22/03/newspollcoalition-support-plunges-after-leadership-spill

The latest Newspoll has revealed popular support for the Coalition has crashed to its lowest level in a decade.

The Australian's Newspoll has the coalition's primary vote slipping to 33 percent and Labor's rising to 41 percent days after Malcolm Turnbull was ousted and Scott Morrison inserted as prime minister.