Pattaya vet: Stray dogs good for neighborhoods

Rimmer

6 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Don't know why all of the hysteria. Perhaps most failed to read the article.

They are warning signs for strangers or criminals and can safely co-exist with people if they are properly vaccinated and sterilized.

Surapong said people too often get cute puppies then discard the dogs when they grow up. If people spent more time considering the decision to get a dog and kept them for the average 11-year lifespan, there would be far fewer strays, he said

Makes perfect sense to me.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas. How many conditionals are in your quotes? Yeah, if Thais didn't drive like maniacs there would be fewer road deaths. But here we are. Dead people every day and thousands of unwanted feral dogs added to the streets. Maybe a real plan of action is needed instead of if if if.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kekalot said:

I saw this dog going around 5 years ago..  broken leg just dangling, lost 80% of his hair. I was sitting around near some 7eleven and it came to me.

I could not see its eyes (see second pictures) and was sure it was blind but it reacted to me moving my phone.

The expression "put it out of it's misery" might well have been invented for poor creatures like this. The vet has no idea what he's talking about. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas. How many conditionals are in your quotes? Yeah, if Thais didn't drive like maniacs there would be fewer road deaths. But here we are. Dead people every day and thousands of unwanted feral dogs added to the streets. Maybe a real plan of action is needed instead of if if if.

I do know small communities in Pattaya that have these dogs protect their communities from neerdowells. They don't bother me, even if they bark initially.  So that too is true.

Overall I agree with what he is stating. That doesn't mean that there isn't a problem in some instances.

He certainly hasn't stated all is fine, has he?

4 hours ago, happy chappie said:

SoThey can safely co exist with people if sterilised and vaccinated......so this stops them barking all the time,crapping all over the place and attacking people....another expert from another planet as usual.

The properly sterilised and vaccinated dogs that I feed in the park don't leave any visible fecal matter and haven't bitten anyone.

Perhaps the ones about which you are complaining are not properly sterilised and vaccinated.

Hysteria.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

The properly sterilised and vaccinated dogs that I feed in the park don't leave any visible fecal matter and haven't bitten anyone.

Perhaps the ones about which you are complaining are not properly sterilised and vaccinated.

Hysteria.

They must be the potty trained strays that don't like barking and run around licking people and wagging their tails I've dreamed about.please do tell me how the <deleted> does sterilising and vaccinating result in dogs turning them into doggy angels.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Yes. I feed properly sterilised and vaccinated dogs in the park. Pleasant animals.

Seems you have a talent that most of us are lacking.please do give us a clue how you can read a stray dogs vetenary cards.

Edited by happy chappie
Spelling
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Seems you have a talent that most of us are lacking.please do give us a clue how you can read a stray dogs vetenary cards.

They had a program to treat the dogs and I saw the results. Scars. Testicle absence etc

It's not just a talent that I have that many seem to be lacking here....

8 hours ago, happy chappie said:

They must be the potty trained strays that don't like barking and run around licking people and wagging their tails I've dreamed about.please do tell me how the <deleted> does sterilising and vaccinating result in dogs turning them into doggy angels.

Any intelligent person would know that removing a male cat/dogs ability to reproduce usually has a profound effect on their temperament.

Since you have named yourself 'happy chappie' perhaps you should know something about it.

9 hours ago, Farrows3399 said:

So you are able to have segregative feeding apart from all these other saps who are part of the problem??. OK I'll believe anything you say 

Yes, they line up and eat in turn. 

I don't care whether you believe what I write. Are you somehow important to anyone here?

I'm just posting on-topic.

Are you one of those people who just lump all subjects together in order to lessen the strain on your brain?

Some animals are a problem and some are not. Which is the point of the article.

You take your life in your hands every time you step over the threshold of a 7-11; every time you eat at a restaurant that allows dogs on the premises; every time you ride a motorbike past a pack; or go for an early morning jog; or return on foot from a late night drink.

Doesn't sound good for my neighbourhood, Somchai,

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 9:43 AM, Stoker58 said:

Try walking your family dog past these packs of vermin and watch what happens.

No different than walking by beer bars  teeming with trannies and hookers. A walk of  masculine confidence  discourages their interest. 

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

You take your life in your hands every time you step over the threshold of a 7-11; every time you eat at a restaurant that allows dogs on the premises; every time you ride a motorbike past a pack; or go for an early morning jog; or return on foot from a late night drink.

This is all in your imagination. I suggest cultivating some testi....fortitude.

Your fear makes you irrational. 

The is always the odd problem dog. That doesn't mean that you need to eliminate them all.

I've never had an issue walking or riding past a pack or any dog outside a 7-11 or jogging in the park.

Usually it's just a silly dog that loves to chase certain cars and bikes. Just stop and it will take flight immediately.

Dogs love people that run away from them or show fear. It gives them...fortitude.

If you ever in the situation where you are surrounded,  get down to their level and call them over. The least fearful will come over. Sometimes just a puppy. Let it check you out. Once they realise you are friend and not foe, they will all bugger off.

Your problem is fear.

Deal with your fear, rather than thinking eliminating everything but yourself is the answer.

Every now and then you will come upon a nutty dog, but once the pack realise you are friend, the nutty dog is on it's own.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Your problem is fear.

I agree; I fear rabies; I fear accidents; I fear food contamination; I fear the odd bite and compulsory visit to hospital at my own expense.

Your problem is a blind acceptance of a situation which has been cured in First World countries.  Simply because you have never had a problem, it does not mean others haven't.  My daughter was brought off her motorbike by a stray and knocked unconscious; my friend was bitten walking past a shop in Satthip - the owner denied any responsibility.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mikebell said:

Look Bud your really going overboard on the victim role !  All you have to do is carry a walking stick like the bamboo one I have and the dogs will avoid you. If you dont have walking stick at all times then have a shoulder bag with a 1/2 m length of wood as in my right hand. When you see a dog ahead take wood out and point it at dog.

IMG_20180827_102731.jpg

Edited by morrobay
add

On 8/26/2018 at 1:24 AM, KneeDeep said:

I feed in the park don't leave any visible fecal matter and haven't bitten anyone.

How on earth do you know they haven't bitten anyone unless

you take them home where you watch them 24/7   CCTV maybe  or are they muzzled ?

then left to roam around the park till you come back.

Who takes responsibility if  your well fed "pets" run into the road and causes a serious accident.

Or maybe like a responsible dog owner  the dogs you feed in the park  are your own dogs  and you pick up their poop and walk them on a leash don't let them cause accidents or bark all night and day  or wonder around forming a pack and terrorizing the neighbourhood ?

3 hours ago, johng said:

How on earth do you know they haven't bitten anyone unless

you take them home where you watch them 24/7   CCTV maybe  or are they muzzled ?

then left to roam around the park till you come back.

Who takes responsibility if  your well fed "pets" run into the road and causes a serious accident.

Or maybe like a responsible dog owner  the dogs you feed in the park  are your own dogs  and you pick up their poop and walk them on a leash don't let them cause accidents or bark all night and day  or wonder around forming a pack and terrorizing the neighbourhood ?

They don't roam around. They have their specific patches. Hundreds of people run in the park every day. The dogs never chase nor harm.

You are just throwing mud in the desperate hope that some of it will stick. These dogs never bark at, bite nor threaten humans. Ever. 

I'm not the only one who feeds them. The fact that they have human contact every day from different people makes them very amenable to humans.

In addition, I have trained them to eat in an orderly manner. So they don't try to grab food from you or from another dog.

Edited by KneeDeep

3 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

they just need to be culled a bit, if they arent harassing people then I dont mind them, if they are nasty they should be exterminated, and quite a few are nasty

some guys riding bicycles get chased i hear on tvf. good i say 555. only joking. down in my mrs home town they had a male dog in the pack at the temple. i heard them talking he was aggressive. next day never to be seen again

6 hours ago, morrobay said:

Look Bud your really going overboard on the victim role !  All you have to do is carry a walking stick like the bamboo one I have and the dogs will avoid you. If you dont have walking stick at all times then have a shoulder bag with a 1/2 m length of wood as in my right hand. When you see a dog ahead take wood out and point it at dog.

IMG_20180827_102731.jpg

The problem with using a stick is that it reinforces that you are a threat. Which can then lead to more dogs joining the fray and you possibly getting bitten.

The stick is more for your peace of mind.

Usually I just call them over to introduce themselves. But don't try to touch them immediately. Let the first dog have a sniff or two in order to realise that you are friend and not foe.

The effect of this was that when one day I was running on a Samui beach, an unknown dog ran towards me barking loudly. All of a sudden, like a bullet, a dog that I had befriended earlier, appeared and knocked the barking dog over.

Treat them like friends, not a threat. There will always be a few personalities that are difficult. But in the main, unless we are referring to feral dogs that live in a forest with no human contact, they actually like human contact. 

Perhaps keep a couple of snacks with you on your walks and make friends along the way. ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

The problem with using a stick is that it reinforces that you are a threat. Which can then lead to more dogs joining the fray and you possibly getting bitten.

The stick is more for your peace of mind.

Usually I just call them over to introduce themselves. But don't try to touch them immediately. Let the first dog have a sniff or two in order to realise that you are friend and not foe.

The effect of this was that when one day I was running on a Samui beach, an unknown dog ran towards me barking loudly. All of a sudden, like a bullet, a dog that I had befriended earlier, appeared and knocked the barking dog over.

Treat them like friends, not a threat. There will always be a few personalities that are difficult. But in the main, unless we are referring to feral dogs that live in a forest with no human contact, they actually like human contact. 

Perhaps keep a couple of snacks with you on your walks and make friends along the way. ?

i agree with most of what you said. if you ignore them and carry on walking they'll leave you alone. one thing though that i have tried to work out. serious. i think the dogs know i'm a farang. had this conversation with thai mates down here who said otherwise but i'm convinced 5555, the dogs know i'm different 555

12 hours ago, mikebell said:

I agree; I fear rabies; I fear accidents; I fear food contamination; I fear the odd bite and compulsory visit to hospital at my own expense.

Your problem is a blind acceptance of a situation which has been cured in First World countries.  Simply because you have never had a problem, it does not mean others haven't.  My daughter was brought off her motorbike by a stray and knocked unconscious; my friend was bitten walking past a shop in Satthip - the owner denied any responsibility.

Your fears, not mine. 

There are dog maulings and accidents in your 'First World' countries.

Why don't you go to live in a 'First World' country if you think it is so great there?

You daughter was not brought off her bike by a stray.. That is just nonsense. Perhaps you need to teach her some responsibility for her actions.

Once again, there will always be rogues in any population. that doesn't mean that you should eliminate the whole population.

Perhaps there is more to the story of your friend being bitten.  It's rare that a dog attacks without being agitated.

4 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i agree with most of what you said. if you ignore them and carry on walking they'll leave you alone. one thing though that i have tried to work out. serious. i think the dogs know i'm a farang. had this conversation with thai mates down here who said otherwise but i'm convinced 5555, the dogs know i'm different 555

It's true. Dogs will bark and threaten a down on their luck local or itinerant whilst treating a nearby foreigner completely differently. Perhaps the smell.