Thailand - Not for me

3 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Possibly, in which case I apologise. My humour isn't for everyone.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very funny. My wife will be second in line.

I took no offense and I'm not any angry person. Cheers to you and the wife.

Maybe I misread it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Ermmm, that was a joke you fool. Some people just will never understand.

No wonder Thailand is trying to keep these morons out.

What was the joke and under what statute is 'Thailand' trying to keep people out?

If one doesn't 100% burn one's boats then it is easier to reverse course. Those who live in a capital city are less likely to have done so I would think. Or at least ill-advised to have done so in the first place. Toronto? Never been there but they have a renowned film festival so it can't be a total cultural desert. Instead of seeing Toronto/Thailand as a binary alternative, why not just adjust the respective number of months in the year spent in each country? Unless one of course is just 'finished' with Thailand. Me? Currently in London. But just for a little while to get some cultural injections.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 10:38 AM, spidermike007 said:

The sheer predictability of every day life back there is mind numbing for me. And the cost of living is staggering, these days. Whoever says inflation is low in the US, is lying through their teeth!  

I hope and I pray I never have to live in the US again. In my opinion the quality of life is dropping by the day. I love it here and hope to spend my dying days here. 

Seems like you have a lot of us dudes and mates that agree with you.  I haven't been back there in 15 years....

and like you its here i will stay.  good post

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SheungWan said:

If one doesn't 100% burn one's boats then it is easier to reverse course. Those who live in a capital city are less likely to have done so I would think. Or at least ill-advised to have done so in the first place. Toronto? Never been there but they have a renowned film festival so it can't be a total cultural desert. Instead of seeing Toronto/Thailand as a binary alternative, why not just adjust the respective number of months in the year spent in each country? Unless one of course is just 'finished' with Thailand. Me? Currently in London. But just for a little while to get some cultural injections.

I agree with this sentiment. If you have the resources it would be ideal to spend several months in a few settled locations, four places living around three months ... avoids complicated visas, eliminates tax other than on expenditures, and makes for a varied life ... Thailand is a good location for that ... jump to Vietnam, Malaysia, Bali, Lombok ... and further afield like Australia, NZ. And many more variations. 

• Like 2

On 8/24/2018 at 11:13 PM, neeray said:

And if that is truly you in the avatar, yes, you would "stick out like a sore thumb", and I am not speaking of your age.

You're right, star ship captains have a way of standing out.  That avatar is a photo of Patrick Stewart in the role of Jean Luc Picard.

• Like 1

Another one bites the dust. I too am one leg out already but need to hang on until kids get settled into the British curriculum school system so moving will be easier. Thailand is going down and hanging on to depreciating assets is just dumb.

The problem is rest of the world sucks too. Maybe Musk can start those Mars trips by the time I'm ready to flee the junta.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Another one bites the dust. I too am one leg out already but need to hang on until kids get settled into the British curriculum school system so moving will be easier. Thailand is going down and hanging on to depreciating assets is just dumb.

The problem is rest of the world sucks too. Maybe Musk can start those Mars trips by the time I'm ready to flee the junta.

Well, suck is a relative word. I enjoy eating western food again, drinking world class tap water and breathing clean air. 

I also find everything is cheaper in Toronto than Bangkok.....except rent and transport. However, I have taken care of housing costs and can walk everywhere because I live downtown.

I have been saying on every thread that pops now and then comparing the cost of living that I would need 200-300k baht a month in Bangkok to have the same quality of life in Canada. Even then, if I lived in Maha Nakhon every time I go out I'd still be exposed to garbage and pollution.

To each their own, eh.

I'll be back in January ?

17 hours ago, rumak said:

Seems like you have a lot of us dudes and mates that agree with you.  I haven't been back there in 15 years....

and like you its here i will stay.  good post

A lot. Most Americans who live here, and elsewhere all over the world, outside of America, are very grateful people. I know I am. Living back there was stifling beyond description. I do go back a few times a year for work, and to visit friends and family. I enjoy that. I get to enjoy my people, fine wine, great food, travel, a bit of adventure, independent film, live jazz, stand up comedy, and even some theatre or the occasional concert. A nice change of pace. Often I will go back when it is stifling hot here, and it is nice and cool there. 

But, I will be staying here. I really like it here. There are alot of aspects of living in Thailand that agree with me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

The problem is rest of the world sucks too

Yep.

Levels of suck though. Lets not compare the Sudan with Switzerland.

Switzerland is probably the least suck country on the planet, its just that the girls are too expensive.

9 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Well, suck is a relative word. I enjoy eating western food again, drinking world class tap water and breathing clean air. 

I also find everything is cheaper in Toronto than Bangkok.....except rent and transport. However, I have taken care of housing costs and can walk everywhere because I live downtown.

I have been saying on every thread that pops now and then comparing the cost of living that I would need 200-300k baht a month in Bangkok to have the same quality of life in Canada. Even then, if I lived in Maha Nakhon every time I go out I'd still be exposed to garbage and pollution.

To each their own, eh.

I'll be back in January ?

Haven't you heard "drinking world class tap water" might cause mutations as purification can not remove some of the drugs of your neighbour.

And I guess you heard about the Yorkdale shooting today, and the one yesterday and the day before.

"Toronto the Good" is fast becoming not quite as good as it used to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neeray said:

And I guess you heard about the Yorkdale shooting today, and the one yesterday and the day before.

"Toronto the Good" is fast becoming not quite as good as it used to be.

That shooting wouldn't even make it into Thai news. No one died, yesterday or the day before. Every single day there are a lot worse news reports on Thai Visa (and that's just the stuff that gets translated) that wouldn't happen in the whole year in Toronto. 

Very safe city and the price of real estate keeps shooting up.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

A lot. Most Americans who live here, and elsewhere all over the world, outside of America, are very grateful people. I know I am. Living back there was stifling beyond description. I do go back a few times a year for work, and to visit friends and family. I enjoy that. I get to enjoy my people, fine wine, great food, travel, a bit of adventure, independent film, live jazz, stand up comedy, and even some theatre or the occasional concert. A nice change of pace. Often I will go back when it is stifling hot here, and it is nice and cool there. 

But, I will be staying here. I really like it here. There are alot of aspects of living in Thailand that agree with me.

Maybe you are a little younger than me.   No more travelling in my future....but i did plenty in my day.  My daughter who

was born 30 years ago in Chiangrai now lives in Canada and visits me here.  Keeps her thai up to date . For anyone who cares to hear an "alternative" view on life in america......google and listen to a few of george carlin's rants.   

Edited by rumak

If People was happy, we would not have 33 000 000 gods, 16 different bibles, 3 Korean , 2000 different budhist sects, and 227 867 registered members on tv!

happy people just doest give a dirt about what other people think, and live their life without fear and being Conscious ??

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/29/2018 at 7:35 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't see how these pictures prove anyone being hiso here? My ex who lived in Canada used to dress like this when in Thailand and yes, some of her friends were wealthy, but some of them just had regular office jobs. 

I was ugly 15 years older, not with a lot of money and dated a woman like this. Maybe a difference being that we met in Canada instead of Thailand where her family didn't have a say about who she dated.

Personally I think she was great and a great squirter too, but she was never as generous as my much poorer wife. And an import point to note is that just because her English  was much better, she was still dumb as a post. No business acumen and she relied for me on everything. Wouldn't move her finger. I highly doubt she would get hired at the same international company my wife works for even with her qualifications and a degree from Canada. 

Anyway, if anyone wants to meet one of these girls, they are mostly concentrated on Charoen Krung road.

My post was a reply to TV poster gaff who said that 99% of Thai girls poor or rich were dumb ,could not speak English well ect not you The photos I posted don't make them Hi-so from what they are wearing its where they are at. You do notice the single  girl is in front of the Acropolis in Athens, Greece. I can PM you more photos of her and her GF's in Madrid, US Virgin Islands, Alaska, the Colosseum in Rome , Germany, and many places around the world. and in some high end shops loaded down with shopping bags. My sister in law owns her own company drives a Benz and BMW and travels for business to Italy, China , Japan ect but she is not  Hi-so ,they are born into money and many educated abroad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/31/2018 at 11:15 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

That shooting wouldn't even make it into Thai news. No one died, yesterday or the day before. Every single day there are a lot worse news reports on Thai Visa (and that's just the stuff that gets translated) that wouldn't happen in the whole year in Toronto. 

Very safe city and the price of real estate keeps shooting up.

There were nearly 600 shooting victims in Toronto last year — a record high.

Increased murder and mayhem 'new norm' for Toronto

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/increased-murder-and-mayhem-new-norm-for-toronto

• Like 1

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

There were nearly 600 shooting victims in Toronto last year — a record high.

Increased murder and mayhem 'new norm' for Toronto

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/increased-murder-and-mayhem-new-norm-for-toronto

Zzzzzzzz

Total murder rate in Toronto was 61 - 39 to gun violence.

That's about half a day's rate on Thai roads.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-has-highest-reported-rate-of-gun-related-deaths-in-asia-8171308

Question.

Why does this topic upset you so much?

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Zzzzzzzz

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-has-highest-reported-rate-of-gun-related-deaths-in-asia-8171308

Question.

I was discussing a statement that you wrote that was not true.  You responded by comparing shooting victims to traffic victims and then tried to personally bait me into an angry response.

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Minivan and busses does not have a good statstic compare to numbers!

How many people travel by bus or minivan every day? A very high number. When accidents happen they are dramatic and frequently horrific,  but the odds of being killed or injured on a bus or van are small when you think of the number on the road.

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Zzzzzzzz

Question.

Who would I believe about the violence in Toronto?

This article https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/increased-murder-and-mayhem-new-norm-for-toronto

Or you?

This article has the link and the information about Toronto.

You have no link or information about Toronto so you try to divert it to something about gun violence in Thailand.

That is true enough but not what you say about Toronto.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:57 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Nah, I'll stick around and there is nothing you can do about it.

Gotta do the obligatory Thailand flounce.

Great post - you would have known that you were going to press a few folks buttons with such a denigrating description of Thailand.

Still that said I have found it interesting to read responses and I am only on the first page!

With health issues it would seem that you have limited choice and I suggest you might have built your case around them - reinforcement/confirmation - something most of us have done.

Equally you are challenging the reasoning and values of other 'farangs' living here.

Sure there are many issues here to address, chiefly the plight of the folk at the bottom end of the food chain and failure to address the issues which are glaringly obvious ( road toll, corruption, critical thinking etc).

My Canadian friends including the non-French speaking ones, tell of the PC madness and their embarrassment with their government from the top down( google Jordan Peterson for some definitive words). Australia equally has some PC obsessed folk as does Europe generally - all of the forgoing will tell you nothing I suspect you do not already know.

You were a guest here of the Thai people at large so I think your words to describe Thailand are wanting.

• Like 2