Thailand - Not for me

18 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Ahh... just woke up, poured some cold tasty tap water and will be reading 7 pages of amusements. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

I applaud your decision to go back. 2 years ago after living 4 years here I left Thailand for health care in Canada. Before I moved here-Chiang Rai- I had been living in insanely expensive Vancouver. I went back for ten months but stayed in small town Okanagan area. I loved it! I'm back in Thailand now, but if the lustre wears off I'm fully prepared to do what you did. I'll never live in Vancouver again but I'd be quite happy in a small town in Canada.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naam said:

that's not a fair assessment JLC. we lived in Florida nearly 15 years and, although being foreigners, never had a problem with any locals. extremely friendly and helpful neighbours and polite people whereever we went. we might be still living in Florida if sept 11 had not happened and were not told a couple of years later by immigration officers "owning a home in the Yewnighted States and paying federal income tax is not a valid reason to enter the country." my wife still craves for Florida (or anywhere in the U.S.).

That's my assessment in my circumstances and I'm sticking to it. 

11 hours ago, Gudge said:

The video in post # 80 is very true. I am a Canadian and have been spending 6 months in Thailand and 6 months in Canada for many years but am now starting to consider staying in Thailand permanently. I love Canada but since Jihad Justine Trudope was elected he is finishing what Pierre Trudeau started, destroying Canada. He is giving away Billions of dollars to countries that want to kill us, welcoming illegal economic refugee border crossers with open arms giving them free housing, medical, money and destroying anything that points out our past. All he has done since elected is dance in every gay pride parade, openly invite refugees into Canada for the free benifets while denying any increase in benifets to veterans or seniors that built this country and trying to turn Canada into another Muslim caliphate and impliment Sharia law which is funny because they throw people of his persuasion off rooftops. If one of our neglected vets don't take him out or he gets re-elected then as I love Canada sad to say I think I will have to stay in Thailand as I don't wish to live in Canastan

That's just anti-immigrant racist drivel.

You are now an immigrant to Thailand. If Thai people have the same attitude towards you how are you going to respond?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Faikham said:

So it is both an obscure terms and misused?

Bottled it is slang corruption of Bottomed out meaning you crapped yourself at the thought of doing something and backed out at the last minute, at least that was the meaning of it in London!

7 hours ago, swissie said:

Sometimes I wonder if resident Farangs have arrived in Thailand without any sense of humor or have they lost their sense of humor during their stay in Thailand? Not capable of reading between the lines, uncapable to see a certain sarcasm in a text.

I tend to assume the latter. Thais have no antenna for sarcasm at all. Living among Thai's for an extended period of time may well stifle the capability of Farangs to differentiate between a sarcastic comment and a Bank-Statement.

I suspect many do not find sarcasm so humorous when it is used as a modus operandi to thinly veneer insults 

Your experience and mine differ on the Thai sense of humour topic, but then as a well known comedian oft said

"It's the way you tell 'em"

7 hours ago, swissie said:

No wonder, I like the company of Tourist better than long-term Farang residents. The latter display a strange aura of somberness, not unlike pigs awaiting their final destiny in a corral in front of a slaughterhouse. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 3:39 PM, impulse said:

Meanwhile, I miss the ski slopes, ice fishing and change in seasons.  A lot of it depends on your hobbies and how willing you may be to try some new ones that are more indigenous to wherever you're living.

In Texas, I did a lot of water skiing and no snow skiing.  In Wyoming, I did a lot of snow skiing and a little water skiing.  Had I wanted to do the opposite living in either place, airfare would have busted my piggy bank.

And I was perfectly content in both places, just like I was content when they sent my paycheck to So California instead of Wyoming.  And when I collected my paycheck in BKK instead of China.  I just adapted my activities to match what's available.

Today, I'm missing Thailand, on my way back to Texas.  But I'm looking forward to everything I missed when I left Texas.

About the weather, I found out that I can always add more clothes, and today's insulation is worlds ahead of what I had growing up.  But once I'm down to my skivvies and still sweating my butt off, I can't take off any more out in public.  And technology hasn't come up with anything to make that better- at least outdoors where my favorite activities happen.

Yes because your happy wherever you are. Cos wherever you go there you are! A fact lost on many many people. It's the "you" in the equation not the destination. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2018 at 4:54 AM, FritsSikkink said:

You would be surprised how many foreigners talk shit about the Thai male attitude and do a runner from their kid(s) and wife themselves, because they can't heck it.

It's not possible in the West due to rigourous law enforcement. It's women who milk men often, getting the house, money and access to the kids leaving the man with nothing. Often having to support the ex wife even when she is in a new relationship. Australia is particularly bad for women's rights and feminist laws.

34 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I have spent the last 24 hours thinking about this. Seems like he had it all here but in the end, he must not have had a solid reason to stay. I could not imagine leaving my wife. I spoke to my wife in depth about this and said to her, what about if I wanted to go home; what would you do. She did not answer me till this morning and she told me she spoke to her parents and they all agreed she would follow me as it was a partnership. She said she would follow me anywhere as she loved me. She just asked me if it was it okay to come home once a year and I said, most likely we would come for four months a year (during our winter) and the other eight we would spend at home. I said maybe later after her parents have passed on I may need to do this for health reasons.

We don't know what the future will bring. I will leave all options on the table.

So we spoke about it and I gather many just do not do this early in a marriage. My parents have left me a Condo on the beach in Australia (Gold Coast) and it is very, very nice. My life in Australia is better than here when it comes to my health but my wife comes first at this point in time and her parents are old. They are not going to be around forever, so options are needed always. I will stick it out as long as I can. Hopely another 30 years or so before a trip to the 'outdoor BBQ'. If not, well we have spoken about the white elephant and I know now we have ideas in place.

I think the OP had gone due to health scares (look at his post at Acid Reflux). He was always ready to tell others how good life is here - rent free, a great wife that had a solid job, no need to buy housing and holidays to great hotels and the such. Lord, it sounded to me like paradise. Yet in the end, it was just another person in Thailand who did not see any future and left. Lots and lots of people do this every day all around the world. I have known one guy here that just got on a plane one afternoon, leaving his car at the airport, texted his wife to go pick it up. Was no real problem with the wife but just with Thailand. He never has since returned but regularly sends money home to his still married wife. I gather we are all wired differently. 

I could not do the Canada thing; way too cold and the girls are not my style. I have only been with Aisa girls since a young guy and they float my boat. With whatever is going on in his life, burning your bridges to Thailand and a marriage is a very sad (well I think) thing and no matter what, it is going to take a lot of time to get over. In so many ways, I see this sad but it is what we make of it and some after spending time in Thailand will only see the bad side (check your closest bar stool to some guy that is moaning) and just don't see what is sitting next to them, to be the best thing in your life. For some, a free healthcare system, good doctors, clean air and sane traffic, is more than enough to make the moving decision easy. I know because I am seriously sick.

Wishing you the best.  We are happy only when we are content. No one is 100% content in this life but I hope your move helps. 

Miracid & lay off alcohol and other triggers for acid reflux.....

TTU - nice post.....

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 3:48 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

No, there isn't. I had a tenant living in my place for the past 4 years and paying my mortgage. He moved out and I moved in. The plan is (was?) to fix up the place a bit and charge more rent. I also have some health issues that are worse in Thailand.I just don't want to go back to a filthy country anymore. 

If you think there is anything else you can add it to the story with your vivid imagination.

What a hell does it mean "bottled it??"

Bottled it mean you were frightened and ran away. Bottle and Glass - Arse

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

I suspect many do not find sarcasm so humorous when it is used as a modus operandi to thinly veneer insults 

Your experience and mine differ on the Thai sense of humour topic, but then as a well known comedian oft said

"It's the way you tell 'em"

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and anway only works verbally not in text.

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, The manic said:

It's not possible in the West due to rigourous law enforcement. It's women who milk men often, getting the house, money and access to the kids leaving the man with nothing. Often having to support the ex wife even when she is in a new relationship. Australia is particularly bad for women's rights and feminist laws.

I believe he is talking about foreigners doing the runner on thai birds obviously. Much like the OP posting his missus to perve on young shielas

5 minutes ago, starky said:

Yeah I get that but what? There are apparently posters on here that left Thailand quite a while ago. I have lived in half a dozen countries I have neither the time nor the interest to post on forums of countries which I have lived in before. Fycks sake get a life or a hobby or something. How juvenile do you want to be posting on a Thailand centric forum that you don't like Thailand? 

Because they are full of shit. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, starky said:

I believe he is talking about foreigners doing the runner on thai birds obviously. Much like the OP posting his missus to perve on young shielas

'Posting his missus'? Meaning please? I thought he was fleeing to Canada- not much girl fun there. Plenty of Beavers though and moose and snow.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, starky said:

Yeah I get that but what? There are apparently posters on here that left Thailand quite a while ago. I have lived in half a dozen countries I have neither the time nor the interest to post on forums of countries which I have lived in before. Fycks sake get a life or a hobby or something. How juvenile do you want to be posting on a Thailand centric forum that you don't like Thailand? 

Well..I think the OP has only been gone about a month so is probably still in comparison mode.

I have gone too but retain family and friends from Thailand,we often chat and exchange photos and there are certainly posters here whose opinions I respect and find interesting-on a whole variety of topics.

Besides of which the door has not slammed shut and I hope to visit Thailand again (health permitting) but only  for a holiday-nothing long term.

I think a poster named "Swissie" summed it up rather nicely when he commented on the lack of humour whereas I just call it dualistic (binary) thinking-it has to be either 100% good (marvellous,splendiferous) or equally bad (horrifying,treacherous)

when,in actual fact-realistically-it is neither.Just different.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, The manic said:

'Posting his missus'? Meaning please? I thought he was fleeing to Canada- not much girl fun there. Plenty of Beavers though and moose and snow.

So did you read the op? His missus is in Thailand and apparently he is knee deep in glamour pussy, not that he has a chance but still.

2 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

I think the OP had gone due to health scares (look at his post at Acid Reflux). He was always ready to tell others how good life is here - rent free, a great wife that had a solid job, no need to buy housing and holidays to great hotels and the such. Lord, it sounded to me like paradise. Yet in the end, it was just another person in Thailand who did not see any future and left. 

This. And really nothing else.

23 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

This. And really nothing else.

Always good to have options and dear to take new chances. Never stuck, always on the road to a new destination. In between of the misery, life is beautiful ?

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, giddyup said:
11 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

I bet 99% of you nut-grabbers if offered US $1,000,000 in cash would move in a heartbeat; so don't kid yourself to much that Thailand is a Utopia.

Make it 100 mil and I'll move to Lake Como, or the French Riviera. Kind of an irrelevant point though.

The reverse is also true. Give a US resident $1 million in cash and they could well move to Thailand, or somewhere else. Lack of disposable funds tends to keep people stuck where they are.

You may have to do some soul searching to discover that going back home may not be the answer. I had an amazing place to live back in Oz, and a comfortable lifestyle, but was not happy. If I'm not happy in Thailand, why should I expect to be happy if I return to where I wasn't happy before. Moving is not the answer. An attitude adjustment is. After reading this thread, I shall endeavour to do just that....... OK, that did it! I'm now happy and all the negatives of Thailand have melted away.

My place back in Oz has a wonderful climate (SE Queensland), much better than Thailand. I wouldn't want to be in the OP's shoes going back to an icebox-like climate (for much of the year).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

The reverse is also true. Give a US resident $1 million in cash and they could well move to Thailand, or somewhere else. Lack of disposable funds tends to keep people stuck where they are.

You may have to do some soul searching to discover that going back home may not be the answer. I had an amazing place to live back in Oz, and a comfortable lifestyle, but was not happy. If I'm not happy in Thailand, why should I expect to be happy if I return to where I wasn't happy before. Moving is not the answer. An attitude adjustment is. After reading this thread, I shall endeavour to do just that....... OK, that did it! I'm now happy and all the negatives of Thailand have melted away.

My place back in Oz has a wonderful climate (SE Queensland), much better than Thailand. I wouldn't want to be in the OP's shoes going back to an icebox-like climate (for much of the year).

Give me a million and its summers in the Allgau, winters in Thailand. If the Rooskies get gnarly, switch to Bern or Zurich

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starky said:

So did you read the op? His missus is in Thailand and apparently he is knee deep in glamour pussy, not that he has a chance but still.

Yes I read the thread but still do not understand 'posting' the missus.  'posting' his wife? What does that mean?