Thailand - Not for me

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Give me a million and its summers in the Allgau, winters in Thailand. If the Rooskies get gnarly, switch to Bern or Zurich

I agree. This is all just fantasy, but I also wouldn't be going back to my old home, but I definitely would leave Thailand.

Just now, theguyfromanotherforum said:

A million?

My impression was that posters on this forum are drowning in cash?

Now I understand all the jealousy of me being able to afford going back home.... and returning to Thailand if I choose to do so :rolleyes:

I do not believe you'd be living (or staying) in Toronto if you had a $1 million of disposable cash. That's not to say I think you'd be in Thailand either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The manic said:

He is not an immigrant in Thailand.  He receives no welfare, housing, voting rights, rights to hold political office and does not receive citizen ship as do the parasites who are invading the West through stealth, falsehood and immigration.

A native born Canadian born Mohawk has spoken.

3 minutes ago, The manic said:

He is not an immigrant in Thailand.  He receives no welfare, housing, voting rights, rights to hold political office and does not receive citizen ship as do the parasites who are invading the West through stealth, falsehood and immigration.

BS. Blaming people who come to our home countries seeking a better life for sucking the welfare teat is misplaced.

The vast majority of immigrants find  a decent job and start contributing to society.

He is an immigrant. He moved from his home country to live in another.

1 minute ago, duanebigsby said:

BS. Blaming people who come to our home countries seeking a better life for sucking the welfare teat is misplaced.

The vast majority of immigrants find  a decent job and start contributing to society.

I find your definition of immigrant, simplistic, reductive and self seeking. It is not nuanced. As he is not seeking Thai citizenship,or a Thai passport he is in no way an immigrant. He is bringing money in. He has not paid criminal people traffickers. He has not destroyed his travel dicuments.The millions invading Europe are hoovering up welfare, health services, educational service, housing etc. He has not broken the law to get to Thailand. He is not seeking political  asylum deserved or otherwise. He is not an immigrant. He has no permanent right of residence. He is a long term visitor.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The manic said:

Anybody who moves from one country to another long term is an immigrant regardless of welfare, housing, etc anything else you mention.

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

I find your definition of immigrant, simplistic, reductive and self seeking. It is not nuanced. As he is not seeking Thai citizenship,or a Thai passport he is in no way an immigrant. He is bringing money in. He has not paid criminal people traffickers. He has not destroyed his travel dicuments.The millions invading Europe are hoovering up welfare, health services, educational service, housing etc. He has not broken the law to get to Thailand. He is not seeking political  asylum deserved or otherwise. He is not an immigrant. He has no permanent right of residence. He is a long term visitor.

That is absolute scaremongering bullshit.

• Sad 1

Just now, duanebigsby said:

So the word of an anti immigrant Native is better than an anti immigrant  white Canadian?

Canada needs immigrants.

Yes, agreed. Canada has no economy left except immigration. And they have a lot to offer to Asian immigrants like top Universities, clean environment, low crime and quality housing.

And people like The manic who are caught with their pants down can keep complaining from Thailand about hard working immigrants (most of them arrive with a ton of cash these days) who will keep working even harder to acquire top properties in Canada and keep the economy and his disability government pension going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The manic said:

The vast majority of immigrants aren't doing what you suggest.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Yes, agreed. Canada has no economy left except immigration. And they have a lot to offer to Asian immigrants like top Universities, clean environment, low crime and quality housing.

And people like The manic who are caught with their pants down can keep complaining from Thailand about hard working immigrants (most of them arrive with a ton of cash these days) who will keep working even harder to acquire top properties in Canada and keep the economy and his disability government pension going.

I agree totally. Most immigrants make a heart felt decision  to leave their own countries for a better life. They start from scratch and it's hard work.

People like manic assume they;re sucking the welfare teat and ridicule immigration on social media.

Sad,

1 minute ago, duanebigsby said:

I agree totally. Most immigrants make a heart felt decision  to leave their own countries for a better life. They start from scratch and it's hard work.

People like manic assume they;re sucking the welfare teat and ridicule immigration on social media.

Sad,

To be perfectly honest with you, most people sucking off welfare and using the system to the core are people who appear to be born here. Just the other day I saw an able bodied man (certainly looked in a better shape than me) walking down the street with his Tim Hortons breakfast paid by Canadian taxpayer stopping by Affordable Canada housing office than banging the glass door like an idiot and swearing at the FKNG government because they only opened at 10am (it was 9:30 at the time).

You understand that after spending 5 years in Thailand and witnessing extreme poverty where no government assistance of offered whatsoever, this sort of behavior is from someone spoiled to the extreme.

Like I said, most of the people using the system are born Canadians - mostly tat freaks that choose that lifestyle by choice. I am not even making this up. They admit this on national TV... they say they choose this lifestyle because they don't want responsibility in their life.

So no prob.... they government take care.

18 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Sad,

The distinction, I believe, is between legal immigrants that participate/contribute within the system that is aiding them....They, in turn, are contributing to - and assimilating into their new society...

Versus illegal immigrants that are over taxing a country's ability to provide for them....This with no fair benefits being returned to that country with no attempt of assimilation.....

Probably better served in a different discussion......

Many countries have benefited from the talents and abilities of those immigrating legally.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Don't live in the Phillipines or travel to Pakistan if you are an American !!

That's strange advice. The Philippines remains very popular with US expats and they are not treated badly... in fact, in the Visayan lingo, all caucasian-looking foreigners are called "Americanos"... so they are all American by default. Americano = Farang

Edited by tropo

5 hours ago, The manic said:

It's not possible in the West due to rigourous law enforcement. It's women who milk men often, getting the house, money and access to the kids leaving the man with nothing. Often having to support the ex wife even when she is in a new relationship. Australia is particularly bad for women's rights and feminist laws.

This is a topic about Thailand, nothing to do with laws in the West or Australia

26 minutes ago, tropo said:

That's strange advice. The Philippines remains very popular with US expats and they are not treated badly... in fact, in the Visayan lingo, all caucasian-looking foreigners are called "Americanos"... so they are all American by default. Americano = Farang

I was just referring to the statistics in the chart  that say that the Philippines is the second worst country for American's safety after Pakistan that's all. I am well aware of it's popularity with Americans and British too for that matter, our pensions are not frozen there for a start, however I had a distant  British uncle who was allegedly poisoned while he lived there many years ago.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

and what does that prove?

Do the math, 3.2/100K is huge and not just for Americans but farang in general and it is only getting worse. Doesn't really matter how, dead is dead. 4X as dangerous as Mexico, Twice that of Honduras, 5x El Salvador. It means if you want to wake up dead there is only one better place to go. I have a home and live mostly in Brazil. Brazil has more than twice as many Americans visit as LOS and doesn't make the list, maybe one or two deaths per year. Now if you're black, 24 years old and visit to engage in drug activity your odds go way up.

54 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Do the math, 3.2/100K is huge and not just for Americans but farang in general and it is only getting worse. Doesn't really matter how, dead is dead. 4X as dangerous as Mexico, Twice that of Honduras, 5x El Salvador. It means if you want to wake up dead there is only one better place to go. I have a home and live mostly in Brazil. Brazil has more than twice as many Americans visit as LOS and doesn't make the list, maybe one or two deaths per year. Now if you're black, 24 years old and visit to engage in drug activity your odds go way up.

does the math show causation? I think not.  And if you live mostly in Brazil, what is your point? That you feel safer there?

Edited by Nyezhov

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

does the math show causation? I think not.  And if you live mostly in Brazil, what is your point? That you feel safer there?

No, but cause of death may make LOS more dangerous for an average person. Bottom line is more farang die in LOS than Brazil by over a factor of 10. I would say as a retired man I feel considerably safer, happier and much less bored in Brazil. I don't regret my 2 years here but given adequate funds there are many better places to pass the time. Basically I see three things LOS has going for it, cheap immigration, cheap young ladies and cheap cost of living. In the end you always get what you pay for and that's OK. The thing I can't put my head around is why would wealthy people choose to settle here other than marriage ?

9 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

I believe the term for that is expat. Bit of semantics there I know but you get the idea. I think colonials like to think of themselves as expats not immigrants. 

Edited by starky
  • Like 1