First steps to retirement visa from UK

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Where do you intend to reside in Thailand?

I want to start off in Hua Hin.  I've spent some time there and like the place but I am not bound to stay there to the exclusion of everywhere else in Thailand.  I've travelled around a bit but I like the sea and have come to know my way around HH better than other places I've been for shorter times. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I just wanted to say thanks for all the comments and help, and a big thank you to Tanoshi for all the info and help he has given me via email.  He could not have done more and it saved me hours and lots of confusion.  I have my non-im O-A now and will be heading to Thailand in two weeks :-)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nopsled said:

Hi all

I just wanted to say thanks for all the comments and help, and a big thank you to Tanoshi for all the info and help he has given me via email.  He could not have done more and it saved me hours and lots of confusion.  I have my non-im O-A now and will be heading to Thailand in two weeks ????

Would you be willing to share

1. the costs of obtaining the O-A visa, particularly the notarisation and doctor's costs which will vary for each applicant

2 and the time it took you to finalise each aspect?

If you have the time and inclination.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Would you be willing to share

1. the costs of obtaining the O-A visa, particularly the notarisation and doctor's costs which will vary for each applicant

2 and the time it took you to finalise each aspect?

If you have the time and inclination.

Thanks.

+1

I would also be interested please............................ one of the options I am now considering

• 1 month later...
Sorry I didn't reply sooner.  It's been a hectic few weeks getting settled in to my new home in Thailand :-)

1.  I can't remember the exact cost at the moment, but the visa cost is on the Thai website ~£100 I think, pluss £10 to send back documents by post.  Doctors cert was about £45 and the police check was a similar amount.  I sent origonals (didn't get notarisation), copies and got certified copies from the post office to keep should I need them for somting like a fiver a copy.
2.  All done in a couple of weeks.  I think the police cert took 1 week, docs was just an apoitment the next day and the embasy had my passport, complete with visa, back in about a week.

I hope this info is not too late for you to find useful.  I'll post the exact costs if I can find the info that's now all stuffed in a folder somewhere.

Glad you got sorted. Just to add for others who are thinking of going the same route.

The visa is £125, police doc from ACRO is £45.
The medical certificate can cause problems due to strange list of diseases but you can do it in Thailand for varying prices , I paid 360 baht at local hospital , and is accepted at Thai embassy in London.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Non Imm O-A Visa which OJAS suggested, which in my opinion is time consuming, expensive and a PITA.

Any American reading this should ignore this sentence. Non O-A is very easy to obtain from Washington DC embassy in the US. Don't be confused with people's opinion about London embassy. Yes it is a bit expensive (if you're paying for a physical exam by a doctor but free for almost all insurance) but it gives you peace of mind to avoid immigration offices in Thailand that is full of archaic rules. rules are made up on the spot, and inconsistent through out Thailand. It also gives you the freedom of keeping your money in America, invested in your IRAs and 401Ks, instead of moving into a Thai bank, season it for three months, get a printout of the passbook on the same day, etc. etc.  What ever people say, it's a pain in the neck to get a renewal in Thailand - loads of paper works, inconsistent requirements between immigration offices, spending whole day in an immigration office, etc. You can get O-A visa every two years and continue to live here forever. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Thanks 1

Any American reading this should ignore this sentence. Non O-A is very easy to obtain from Washington DC embassy in the US. Don't be confused with people's opinion about London embassy. Yes it is a bit expensive (if you're paying for a physical exam by a doctor but free for almost all insurance) but it gives you peace of mind to avoid immigration offices in Thailand that is full of archaic rules. rules are made up on the spot, and inconsistent through out Thailand. It also gives you the freedom of keeping your money in America, invested in your IRAs and 401Ks, instead of moving into a Thai bank, season it for three months, get a printout of the passbook on the same day, etc. etc.  What ever people say, it's a pain in the neck to get a renewal in Thailand - loads of paper works, inconsistent requirements between immigration offices, spending whole day in an immigration office, etc. You can get O-A visa every two years and continue to live here forever. 

Any American reading this should move out of Pattaya or Phuket where these Immigration issues don't exist.