Looking at importing my Audi to Thailand from uk,anyone can do this and get the blue book too,I know there is tax to pay but it’s second hand 2003

22 hours ago, Billy Hua Hin said:

Why are people slagging me off,I’ve been here 13 years and asking a normal question,things do change and I’m looking to see if they have,you know where you can put your stupid comments emoji90.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Shame you're not connected to internet like the rest of us. You could've Googled the information in a minute.

Oh dear, apologies. I see you're an iPhone fanboi. You do need help.

Edited by jgarbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ask yourself one question. Why do cars manufactured outside Thailand twice the price as in their local market and why are used cars so expensive here?

It is also worth noting that customs will not provide any idea of the potential duties and taxes payable until they have seen the car!

Edited by Anon999
Additional information
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Billy Hua Hin said:

Why are people slagging me off,I’ve been here 13 years and asking a normal question,things do change and I’m looking to see if they have,you know where you can put your stupid comments emoji90.png

Don’t take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

• Haha 2

Importation:

A person with a non-immigrant visa and a work permit that is valid for at least one year may import just one vehicle into Thailand. Unfortunately, such vehicles are subject to very high taxes and import duties, often amounting to around 200 percent of the vehicle’s value.
Before you attempt to import a car to Thailand, you must secure an official import permit from the Ministry of Commerce of Thailand. If this has not been granted to you upon the arrival of your car, then this can lead to seizure of your car and high fines. Application forms on the website of the Ministry of Commerce are only available in Thai, therefore it is wise to seek help from a Thai speaking agent when applying for an import permit.

You will need the following documents to execute the importation:
1. A valid non-immigrant visa
2. A work permit valid for at least one year
3. An import declaration form
4. A bill of lading or airway bill
5. Sale documents
6. The delivery order (Customs Form No. 100/1)
7. Foreign Transaction Form 2 in cases where the CIF value of the imported vehicles exceeds 500,000 Baht
8. An insurance premium invoice
For full details of temporary importation procedures refer to the official website of Thailand’s customs.

The importation process:

When your agent submits the relevant documents to the port of entry, the Customs Department will assess the taxes and import duties that need to be fulfilled. Once these have been paid, the receipt needs to be presented to the cashier division of the Thai Customs Department. Subsequently the vehicle is granted permission to enter Thailand.

That's the old rules where you have to own the car at least 18months in your home country  and then pay tax on it, still on web page, but now you cannot, a German bloke I know bought in his KTM 1290 ,They confiscated it and he was told he can bid for it at the auction 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Importation:

A person with a non-immigrant visa and a work permit that is valid for at least one year may import just one vehicle into Thailand. Unfortunately, such vehicles are subject to very high taxes and import duties, often amounting to around 200 percent of the vehicle’s value.
Before you attempt to import a car to Thailand, you must secure an official import permit from the Ministry of Commerce of Thailand. If this has not been granted to you upon the arrival of your car, then this can lead to seizure of your car and high fines. Application forms on the website of the Ministry of Commerce are only available in Thai, therefore it is wise to seek help from a Thai speaking agent when applying for an import permit.

You will need the following documents to execute the importation:
1. A valid non-immigrant visa
2. A work permit valid for at least one year
3. An import declaration form
4. A bill of lading or airway bill
5. Sale documents
6. The delivery order (Customs Form No. 100/1)
7. Foreign Transaction Form 2 in cases where the CIF value of the imported vehicles exceeds 500,000 Baht
8. An insurance premium invoice
For full details of temporary importation procedures refer to the official website of Thailand’s customs.

The importation process:

When your agent submits the relevant documents to the port of entry, the Customs Department will assess the taxes and import duties that need to be fulfilled. Once these have been paid, the receipt needs to be presented to the cashier division of the Thai Customs Department. Subsequently the vehicle is granted permission to enter Thailand.

I think this is old information.

What is your source please?

On 8/26/2018 at 12:01 AM, BestB said:

It does not matter how old it is, they will still apply 300 or so % tax on value they put on it not what you put on it , so it will end up costing more than buying a newer one here.

I went through all this about 8 years ago now.

Vehicle second hand value UK was about 12K, by the time Shipping costs, Thai tax, Import Duty and yes Vat on their valuation, it would have been 33K all in to get the Vehicle here

Is called Protectionism

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2018 at 12:53 AM, Nyezhov said:

Probably because anyone who has lived or comtemplated living in Thailand knows it. But if you dont beleive him Google is your friend. Sell your rig there and buy one off CL

https://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/cto/d/reduced-audi-s6-quatrro-1/6664498337.html

Beware! You will find several cars at unbelievably low prices, they are all advertised by a scammer, see this thread in TVF.

On 8/26/2018 at 2:22 PM, Billy Hua Hin said:

I'm not going to read through all the posts but I'm sure people are not slagging you off. However they are giving you sensible info which does result in a 'DON'T DO IT!'

Here is the customs link for importing a used car.  Apart from all the documentation required, Import licence etc etc, it will also show you the percentage of tax to be paid on THEIR valuation.  It goes from almost 200% to over 300%.

http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=individuals_151007_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individuals_151007_01

I've been here a lot of years and when I came, I was hoping to bring my Jaguar over.  I very quickly found out it was  no-brainer.

Edited by HHTel
adding a link

46 minutes ago, mogandave said:

It will work this time, think positively!

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Don’t listen to all these guys, they are just jealous they did not think of it!!!!

Really.. and if it doesn't work as you foolishly think, are you going to pay the difference?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Black arab said:

I di remember a guy i met in prachup khiri khan province who imported his vw golf fron the uk , said it cost all in £40000 (new).He was well off though .

Rich but not very smart it seems ! hahaha, import a VW !!! What a dream car !

12 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Of course you can. You have some choices. Strip your car down and send it over in pieces. Not all at the same time or send it over and pay a huge amount of import tax or bribe an official and hope they don't ask for more or arrest you. Simple.?

Common practice for people to strip bikes down, import them as parts and rebuild them here.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

I've been here a lot of years and when I came, I was hoping to bring my Jaguar over.  I very quickly found out it was  no-brainer.

Urban myth has it that a guy tried to import a classic E-type. Customs guy thought of a number for the value and added 300% tax. Reputed to still be parked in a bonded warehouse in Sattahip.

Yes, Spidey.  Mine was an XJ Exec, 4 years old.  When I looked into it, the shipping charge was minimal, import licence could be obtained using my wife, BUT customs advised me that the tax would be 240% after valuation!

• Haha 1

Common practice for people to strip bikes down, import them as parts and rebuild them here.

Been there, done that.

How do you get it registered?

I tried to help a friend do this. Cost an extra 60,000 in grease, And I don’t know if he ever got it registered, as it ruined our friendship.

• Haha 1

I've a heater in my car.  I think most modern aircons will go from cold to hot.  I must admit that there have been some 'chilly' times when I've put the aircon to heat, usually for Thais who are feeling the cold.

With regard to overheating, I believe there are no differences whether manufactured for a cold climate or a hot climate.  Testing at the factory runs around -40C to 150C.  Overheating problems are the same anywhere.  Usually down to a coolant leak or low coolant, but there are other reasons.