Foreigners driving cars around town with their driver’s side window down

Cricky

12 minutes ago, The manic said:

I'm sorry I genuinely do not understand your thinking. Are you possibly projecting your own attitude onto people who are completely dissimilar to you?  Do you think driving with a lowered window is some kind of toxic masculinity? It's just a relaxed way to drive, nothing more. You are overthinking the issue. Seeing significance where there is non.

And you, young man, pick & choose your pseudo intellectual observations, in a misguided attempt to be clever.

If you had bothered to read this thread, you would have seen my humorous comment earlier.

What on earth does your second sentence mean, or are you yet again attempting to be learned?

I forgive you, because at 35, you still have much to understand.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The manic said:

How is windows up or down an indication of maturity or otherwise. The OP is a troll, windup artist or has mental issues..Some kind of obsessive.

+1

Totally agree.  I am now wondering myself why I am even responding to this cr*p!

11 minutes ago, faraday said:

And you, young man, pick & choose your pseudo intellectual observations, in a misguided attempt to be clever.

If you had bothered to read this thread, you would have seen my humorous comment earlier.

What on earth does your second sentence mean, or are you yet again attempting to be learned?

I forgive you, because at 35, you still have much to understand.

Sorry I missed the attempt at humour so: Ha Ha. Move along now.

20 hours ago, rickjza said:

yourself

20 hours ago, rickjza said:

By doing so you are putting a target on yourself.

I’ve been driving here since 2002 and I feel this is an accident waiting to happen.

What on earth are you talking about?

PS. I think "transam" looks cool too 

Assuming most of us are older, it could be because we have driven like this in our home country since we started driving - 30+ years of habit - & we started it because its more comfortable than 2 hands on wheel or resting on the armrest - which is too low.  This option is harder when you are 'full size - big boned - plus size - full figured'.  Most of us also started driving before A/C - so open window was mandatory except in winters.  No carjackings like Florida.

Too bad you are still paranoid about us foreigners.  Relax, this is not trump-land and Thais are among the nicest & kindest people toward westerners in the world.  I am speaking from 30+ trips to all Asian countries for business.  Most who retired here know this.

Unless you travel the ladyboy districts at night - then you are totally correct.  Maybe thats it?

43 minutes ago, JAFO said:

This thread (troll or not) did offer up some funny responses. 

I suspect the OP will not return to attempt to defend his position on the arm out the window rant.

Next it will be.... "Don't fart with your window up for fear of explosion"......?.

It's an odd post I must say. Maybe these non smoking window downers think theye are handsome and are trying to pull? Maybe they should pin their pension books in the corner of the windshield, it may yield better results. Maybe they cannot afford motors with AC?

On a slightly different tack, why to people who play loud (usually bad) music in cars invariably have the windows open? Do they not realise that it would sound louder to them if they left them closed?

8 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

On a slightly different tack, why to people who play loud (usually bad) music in cars invariably have the windows open? Do they not realise that it would sound louder to them if they left them closed?

Now those folk really think folk think they are cool....?

13 minutes ago, murraynz said:

'driving with window down'---what a very strange comment ??? whats wrong with driving with the window down ??

there are numerous reasons why a driver may choose to have his window down..

Nothing wrong at all with driving/riding with the window down, quite a bit wrong with arm/elbow out of the window.

It was common practice in Australia, and the number of arm/elbow sideswipe injuries in even minor RTA"s was statistically very high, since Australian Road Rules enforced that you can’t have any part of your body projecting out of the vehicle the arm/elbow injury rate has dropped a lot.

Although rarely fatal, sideswipe accidents result in severe soft-tissue injuries combined with open fractures or partial amputation of the upper limb, often complicated by neurovascular injuries. Management involves multiple operations and long rehabilitation periods.

21 hours ago, puchooay said:

I leave my windows open too. 

I don't like aircon as it makes me sleepy. 

I have never had any problems.

A common cause for accidents in Thailand, is the fact that people in the car do not know the use of an aircon, and keep the switch in the position as shown, therefore getting tired or even fall asleep behind the wheel due to the lack of oxygen.

aircon.jpg

Archived