Foreigners driving cars around town with their driver’s side window down

Cricky

1 hour ago, rickjza said:

I mentioned nothing about smoking.

I hope for your sake you wind the window up when the cigarette is finished,

I wouldn’t like to see you unnecessarily fined or have an unneeded accident because a Thai is looking for a quick buck.

Should I wear a helmet while walking to be on the safe site?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Putting a target on themself?

.... Did you fall off a barstool and smack your head?

... The vast majority of those around us don't care a dash who is on the next car.

Really though... How could you possibly think this makes us a target? & for what? 

Police? They don't care either.. It's only paranoid folk who suspect being targeted when in reality on thr roads we are treated with equal indifference.

But the real question begs to your 'grow up' comment? You some how think it's immature to drive with your window open?

You are thinking just a little too much about the harmless actions of others... Who really cares in the slightest if someone wants to drive with their window open?

HAHAHA.  Couldn't have said it any better RS

Man some odd ducks sure wash up on the shores around this place...?

13 minutes ago, JAFO said:

HAHAHA.  Couldn't have said it any better RS

Man some odd ducks sure wash up on the shores around this place...?

I think the guy has got a point ...

Elbow out of window and motorbike rider may hit it ...

In traffic THB aircon on and on recirc and air purifier running ...

It's not always a good idea to show that you are a foreigner ...especially if you have just  done a 'badee' ...

If another driver is giving you a hard look ... more easy to hide behind your darkened windows ...

If the foreigner is a lady ... definitely keep your window up ............

1 hour ago, rickjza said:

because a Thai is looking for a quick buck.

Trying to figure out what the hell you're on about and why.   Are you (over) reacting to the recent article about some Thai lady staging car accidents to scam people?  What set you off today?

It's one thing to be an idiot, oblivious to the real world and the possibility of nefarious types.  But it's another to be frickin' paranoid, hiding from unseen boogey men around every corner.   Thailand's not "that" bad.  I've been to worse places.   Maybe you have too?  Flashbacks?  PTSD?

I drive with my windows down sometimes, when I'm alone, in my truck, on interior roads around where I live.  Not so much in the city due to exhaust fumes, or on the highway at speed. 

You ought to try it.  Windows down, wind through your hair, cruising around with Lynard Skinner.  Roll a fat one and try to chill out a little bit, brother!:stoner: 

5 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

What type of car was he driving. Am I the only person to see the <deleted> farang driving the Lambo on lower Suk with the window down so that all can see him.

The guy with the Lambo is obviously someone with a successful professional life, the <deleted> is the foreigner who is jealous about other peoples success.

Lived in Cyprus for a few years where the cars appeared to be badly manufactured to the end that Cypriot drivers not only had the window down but held the roof on with their right hand whilst driving winding mountain roads with just their left hand on the wheel.

image.png.10d8924f3d454b019c8079a5c6235cbb.png

Dire warnings about the hazards of driving with the window down...... from a guy who rides a big bike motorcycle?  In Thailand?  Road Death Capital of the Universe?  You better loosen the helmet strap, mate, it's cutting off the circulation to your common sense carburetor.  ?

I wouldn't ride a motorbike here on the main roads and highways if you paid me.

Increased chance of death/serious injury.  Even with the best S&M leathers, whips and chains on, a minor accident can cripple you if you land wrong, or wind up through the windscreen of Somchai's 1972 Mitsu Space Cab pick up.

Never mind me and my arm making me a target to a notional, rare accident scammer or Five O.   YOU are a constant target for the plethora of road pirates in government uniforms.  All day every day. 

Last.... when it starts hammering down rain, because we're in Thailand you know, I just pull my arm inside and wind up the window. 

Remember that next time you're being pelted by rain at 100kph.  Look on the bright side - that's when you are less likely to be stopped and shaken down by the BiB.  Even they have enough sense to get out of the rain.

You are expressing an exceptional level of paranoia....
... Thailand wouldn't be worth living in if we had to think like this...

It may be time to realise... No one cares if we (Westerners) are here or not. We are simply thought of and treated with the same indifference Thai's treat each other... 
Yes a daft op. If it was true riding a motorbike would be far riskier

4 hours ago, transam said:

Well I always do have my window down chum because I smoke..

I have my window down because the air-con is broke, and it fogs up inside. 

(on the other side my partner has her head out, ears flapping in the breeze and her tongue lolling out)

30 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

image.png.10d8924f3d454b019c8079a5c6235cbb.png

Dire warnings about the hazards of driving with the window down...... from a guy who rides a big bike motorcycle?  In Thailand?  Road Death Capital of the Universe?  You better loosen the helmet strap, mate, it's cutting off the circulation to your common sense carburetor.  ?

I wouldn't ride a motorbike here on the main roads and highways if you paid me.

Increased chance of death/serious injury.  Even with the best S&M leathers, whips and chains on, a minor accident can cripple you if you land wrong, or wind up through the windscreen of Somchai's 1972 Mitsu Space Cab pick up.

Never mind me and my arm making me a target to a notional, rare accident scammer or Five O.   YOU are a constant target for the plethora of road pirates in government uniforms.  All day every day. 

Last.... when it starts hammering down rain, because we're in Thailand you know, I just pull my arm inside and wind up the window. 

Remember that next time you're being pelted by rain at 100kph.  Look on the bright side - that's when you are less likely to be stopped and shaken down by the BiB.  Even they have enough sense to get out of the rain.

Almost as much paranoia as the OP.

4 hours ago, rickjza said:

I mentioned nothing about smoking.

I hope for your sake you wind the window up when the cigarette is finished,

I wouldn’t like to see you unnecessarily fined or have an unneeded accident because a Thai is looking for a quick buck.

No, when Trans finishes his fag, he just lights up another one.?

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

it has been my experience if you get stopped at a police checkpoint as soon as you roll your window down and they see Farang, they let you go.

same same both car and motorcycle.

You have a window on your motorcycle? Which make is that?:cheesy:

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, but as far as most of Thailand is concerned the biggest hazard is getting a dose of "truck-driver's arm".

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trucker's arm

I always thought that the browner arm was due to....

*clears throat*

Examining the err...birth canal of....

Please don't ban me Crossy!!

:laugh::laugh:

6 hours ago, faraday said:

Yea, I do it also, so that when I see a pretty lady, I can shout out:

"Alright love, fancy a bit of slap & tickle?"

Never fails.

Try it sometime.

Never Fails?  what is her reaction?????   pepper spray?  or a open hand for "payment"? ?

30 minutes ago, The manic said:

Some threads are useless drivel, often predicated on false assumptions, by flawed, if not damaged individuals.  Weather permitting I usually drive with my window down. No Drama.

And do you show your hairy chest?

For me, it's a winner.

?

9 minutes ago, faraday said:

And do you show your hairy chest?

For me, it's a winner.

?

I'm sorry I genuinely do not understand your thinking. Are you possibly projecting your own attitude onto people who are completely dissimilar to you?  Do you think driving with a lowered window is some kind of toxic masculinity? It's just a relaxed way to drive, nothing more. You are overthinking the issue. Seeing significance where there is non.

9 hours ago, puchooay said:

Would you care to elaborate?

The funny think is I think the OP would like to see you fined and get in trouble. There is something off kilter and ill spirited about his tone. What kind of person gives a hoot  about people driving with their windows down?

9 hours ago, poohy said:

What madness!

is there a unheard of law you cant drive with your window open?

or will Somchai the bogey man jump in and get you?:bah:

If there is any such "Law" the long arm of the law "Big Joke" will get you!

Watch out, as in case you did not know, he is now Mr Watchman's Press Spokesman!

Archived