Thailand's LGBT groups slam college’s ‘sexual deviation’ forum

webfact

LGBT groups slam college’s ‘sexual deviation’ forum

By KORNRAWEE PANYASUPPAKUN 
THE NATION

758a199fadb449d76fcd458d83590a4c.jpeg

THAILAND’S gender diversity groups yesterday denounced a plan by the all-male Bangkok Christian College to host a seminar to help parents protect their children from “sexual deviation”.

Saying such an obsolete term encourages dangerous ignorance, the LGBT network – including Together for Equality and Action (TEA), Non-Binary Thailand, For-sogi, Pink Mango and Sapaan – issued a joint statement calling on the school to “stop producing hatred and violence against gender diversity people”. 

“The seminar could foster hatred and bias for gender-diverse people,” it said. “The word ‘sexual deviation’ [biang bain] not only stigmatises LGBT people, but it promotes violence.” Also, when the school and teachers take such a position towards LGBT groups, it directly affects LGBT students, creating low self-respect and bullying. 

The group say the school may also have violated the Gender Equality Act 2015, which forbids any act that causes division, discrimination or limitation of any rights and benefits due to a person’s sexual orientation. 

On August 30, the college Facebook page advertised the seminar scheduled for September 3, titled “How to raise a child to not be sexually deviated”. It said: “Sexual deviation often comes from the environment in childhood, especially from the family. How does sexual deviation affect the children and how can we prevent it?” 

The post was deleted after it was mocked and condemned by the general public. 

“The school wants the best for its students, but it unknowingly violates their rights and reproduces violence,” Naiyana Supapung, representative of Thailand’s LGBT rights network told The Nation.

“Fixing one’s gender is invisible violence – but the wound penetrates deeper. Gender is something that can’t be fixed. If one is born a transgender, but is looked down upon and forced by the school to be something else, how bitter would it be?” Naiyana asked. 

Instead of suggesting a child’s gender needs fixing, Naiyana urged the parents and teachers to fix their attitudes. “We want the parents of the LGBT child to see their child as normal – love and be proud of who they are,” she said. 

The famous all-male school had previously organised a similar seminar titled “How to raise a child to be a straight man”. 

The school’s management could not be reached for comment yesterday. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30353387

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-31

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...by the all-male Bangkok Christian College..."

"By the all male Christian college"

That is all the information you need to know. Perhaps they might want to read up on recent international stories regarding Christianity and all male environments? It is rather shocking...

Not if you are a Catholic,  just normal practice by all accounts

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chippendale said:

Religious bigotry, spreading hatred.

Love thy neighbour until you find out they go to a different church and they are one of the LGBT groups then call them sinners and cast them down. Oh nearly forgot, tell them you might need some of their money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Eligius said:

The idea that children are 'turned gay' (or transgender) due to their family and societal environment is utterly ridiculous and provably false. If that were the case, then every gay man and woman - born into and brought up in an overwhelmingly heterosexual environment ,as most were, with the norms of heterosexuality pushed and promoted morning, noon and night in every form of book, entertainment and society at large - would have turned 'straight'. But they did not - and do not.

Human sexuality is much more varied and complex than some bigoted, simplistic religionists would have us believe.

Exists throughout the animal world of which we are a part.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, khunken said:

This is not a Roman Catholic school but is Protestant, founded by missionaries as was Bangkok Christian hospital.

I never said or suggested it is a Catholic school. My comment was regarding Christians in general.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/valerie-tarico/the-protestant-clergy-sex_b_740853.html

One of the most striking aspects of the Protestant clergy sex abuse pattern is that most people don’t realize it is a pattern. The Catholic Church has taken a well deserved beating in the courts and in the court of public opinion as former altar boys, orphans and ordinary parishioners come forward with appalling stories of sex abuse. Yet equally egregious violations by Protestant clergy fail to generate the same level of outrage.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Saladin said:

Sexual deviation? Oh, you mean like Catholic priests forbidden from having sex with women?

It wasn't always so.

The words of (St) Paul in his letter to the Corinthians:

"Haven't I the right to follow the example of the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Peter, by taking a Christian wife with me on my travels?

The existence of (St) Peters wife has been written out of "mainstream" Christian history, choosing to ignore this specific reference to her accompanying him.

Edited by Enoon

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I never said or suggested it is a Catholic school. My comment was regarding Christians in general.

Actually you didn't say it outright but suggested it by referring to priestly sexual deviants which is far more prevalent in the Catholic church than other branches of Christianity where many priests are married and some are even female.

Anyway I should have posted stand-alone rather than reply to your post. I didn't mean to target you specifically.

29 minutes ago, Enoon said:

It wasn't always so.

"Haven't I the right to follow the example of the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Peter, by taking a Christian wife with me on my travels?

The existence of (St) Peters wife has been written out of "mainstream" Christian history, choosing to ignore this specific reference to her accompanying him.

Do you actually believe what's written in a fairy tale?

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Enoon said:

It wasn't always so.

Didn't he change his name on the way to Damascus?

What was he trying to hide??

Just now, Enoon said:

It wasn't always so.

Seems a little odd as most of the followers of Christ, according to the Bible written a few hundred years after his existence, referred to themselves as followers of Christ not as Christians.  That was a term given to them later.  From what is written of Jesus of Nazareth, a Jew, it would be difficult to accept that he would acknowledge such a reference during his life.  He was a modest and unassuming man from what everybody seems to agree.  It would seem logical to assume that words of St Paul, quoted above, may not have been his words but something attributed to him.  The words of the Bible do not appear wholly truthful.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Nah mate, if you listen to Alf Garnett you'd know Jesus was church of england see, Moses now, well 'e was jewish, ah mean let's face it in the 'beginning' there was 20 commandments, but, bein' one of yir jews like, he did a deal an' got it down to 12 for a discount. Obvious innit.

Reminds me of an old joke:

Moses came down from the mountain and announced to the multitude 'I've got good news and bad news'.

'What's the good news?' they asked. 'I've got them down to 10' he replied.

'And what's the bad news?'. 'Adultery is still in'.

Edited by khunken
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, khunken said:

Reminds me of an old joke:

Moses came down from the mountain and announced to the multitude 'I've got good news and bad news'.

'What's the good news?' they asked. 'I've got them down to 10' he replied.

'And what's the bad news?'. 'Adultery is still in'.

If you haven't read it I honestly suggest this book.

220px-GodKnows.JPG

./..sounds like the uni down south and the president who has freshman study with soldiers for discipline and considers the Alumni is undesirable... well-intentioned but clueless with implementation, because they are appeasing one person...

"If one is born a transgender, but is looked down upon and forced by the school to be something else, how bitter would it be?” Naiyana asked. 

Born transgender? I thought LGBTQetc activists claim that gender is entirely a social construct.

I do wish they would make up their minds. It's so confusing for everybody else.

It sounds like their arguments are as becoming as fluid as the lexicon of new genders -  which, according to one trans YouTube blogger, there are "as many as there are people on the planet".

Beam me up, Scottie.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

If the school is talking to the parents about their sons being gay.....it's a little bit late.... the cause of this phenomenon is the father's sperm. If the father had produced "healthy" sperm at the time of conception, the sons would be red blooded straights..... Cannot be cured by (maybe) well meaning religious fanatics later in life.....

2 hours ago, wirat69 said:

If the school is talking to the parents about their sons being gay.....it's a little bit late.... the cause of this phenomenon is the father's sperm. If the father had produced "healthy" sperm at the time of conception, the sons would be red blooded straights.

As you cite no source for this interesting fairytale, it must be assumed that you invented it all by yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Enoon said:

So Paul went off travelling with Peter's wife? Wey hey!

12 hours ago, wirat69 said:

If the school is talking to the parents about their sons being gay.....it's a little bit late.... the cause of this phenomenon is the father's sperm. If the father had produced "healthy" sperm at the time of conception, the sons would be red blooded straights..... Cannot be cured by (maybe) well meaning religious fanatics later in life.....

. . .the cause of this phenomenon is the father's sperm. . . 

Interesting theory. Do you have a reliable source?