What is the best wine you have ever tasted?

norbertt

52 minutes ago, faraday said:

It was such a happy time & so very long ago.

Haven't drunk any since then, & I wonder was it so good, or just the wonderful holiday we had, in a very different world?

the wine complements the ambiance...or is it the other way around?...

the sound of gunfire...and then, 'what happened?' 'some dude took someone's wine...'

• Like 2

Nothing like a good bottle of wine to cheer one up and bring back memories..

But..hells bells..even a cheap bottle of Retsina in the Piraeus will do it or sitting on the walls at San Gimignano with a loaf of bread,some Asiago cheese,black olives,salami and a bottle of ice cold Vernaccia..

4 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

But..hells bells..even a cheap bottle of Retsina in the Piraeus will do it or sitting on the walls at San Gimignano with a loaf of bread,some Asiago cheese,black olives,salami and a bottle of ice cold Vernaccia..

yeah...at the piazza de la cisterna in San Gimignano I said 'I'll have the roast chicken please and a liter of the red wine...' and I leaned over to the next table to ask for a light for my ciggie...and the young hansom italian couple very graciously invited me to join them but I said (in spanish) that my son was out and about and coming to meet me and that they were very kind...

a very nice bus ride thru the tuscan countryside from Firenze and worthwhile...one could easily visualise Romeo, Tybalt and Mercutio rioting across the cobblestones...very well preserved...

'whaddaya doin' dad?' 'siddown and have some chicken and red wine and enjoy the scenery...' ' you're crazy dad...' indeed, a lot crazier than he could imagine...but it is a very nice place with lots to see...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

5 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Sheesh, for me there's nothing worse than drinking Red if I need cheering up, but I 100% agree there's nothing better than a nice bottle to reminisce with 

One of my favourite memories of drinking Red was my introduction to Barolo (isn't it called the King of Wines?), at a Gartner conference in Florence, they were wining/dining us when they asked what we'd like to drink so my colleague takes one look at the wine menu & picks the most expensive bottle on there & out came 1 (followed by a couple more) of the richest/nicest wines I've ever had the pleasure to sample.

But my favourite memories of drinking Red are sitting in the conservatory of a house I'd recently bought (but was struggling to afford so couldn't afford many luxuries), it's freezing/pouring with rain so you can hear it bouncing of the roof, savouring a £5 bottle of Barbera D'asti - I still look out for it now, though in SG it's closer to £50 a bottle than £5.

On a visit to South Africa some 20 years ago I drank an exceptionally good wine of that country, from the Stellenbosch region, I believe. Forgot its name.

Of the roughly 160 bottles of wine I currently have in my cellar, it is the Cinque Autoctoni, Farnese, 2012 that I like best.

194968278_CinqueAutoctoniFarnese2012.jpg.3ceeb27b0f1bba5c01e6fa495090fbd6.jpg

4 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Of the roughly 160 bottles of wine I currently have in my cellar, it is the Cinque Autoctoni, Farnese, 2012 that I like best.

You'd better get drinking. You can't take it with you.

Need a hand?

19 minutes ago, Spidey said:

You'd better get drinking. You can't take it with you.

Need a hand?

I buy the wines young and store them until they are in their prime, but I am doing my regular exercise of alzare il gomito (raise my elbow)

• Like 1

many years ago in Derby we bought a house that had some nicely splayed plum trees and then later we had plums all over the place...and I gathered them up and squarshed them and made wine...

later a neighbor down the street was celebrating his 10th anniversary with his lady and I came over with a bottle of the plum wine for the occasion with a label: vin de prune, produit de Peet Street, East Midlands...it was barely drinkable but you could get drunk on it...just like the East Midlands, it was barely tolerable but one could make a living, barely...

• Haha 2

On 9/17/2018 at 6:43 AM, xylophone said:

Ah, we have similar tastes then...…….do you/can you buy it here?

I have never seen the Cinque Autoctoni in Thailand, and I never carry it with me for my vacation there. The empty bottle alone weighs 1.2 kg.

• Like 1