New Work Permit rules confirmed by Phuket Employment Office Chief

rooster59

17 minutes ago, kwilco said:

THis is a very radical change and will make a lot of people like English teachers officially legal.

Only if the schools get them a WP in the first place.

Your not thinking this through. An english teacher will still have to conform to the requirements for issue of the first WP. If they want to go off Campus and teach in another location at the same time who will be the employer who hires them and registers them in the second area of work?

Read the rules carefully and please stop imagining yourself as a teacher travelling Thailand flashing the blue book and sitting on the beach teaching locals.

Your initial school gets you a work permit and like 99% of schools you'll never see it. It will be secure in the school safe and the day you think you are going to work in another location your first school will hand it to you and say OK?????

• Like 1

Your not thinking this through. An english teacher will still have to conform to the requirements for issue of the first WP. If they want to go off Campus and teach in another location at the same time who will be the employer who hires them and registers them in the second area of work?
Read the rules carefully and please stop imagining yourself as a teacher travelling Thailand flashing the blue book and sitting on the beach teaching locals.
Your initial school gets you a work permit and like 99% of schools you'll never see it. It will be secure in the school safe and the day you think you are going to work in another location your first school will hand it to you and say OK?????

I have always been under the impression that it must be held by the person when undergoing any agreed work. I have known ImmigrationOfficers to do spot visits to schools and all teachers without a WP to show ,are promptly told to leave the premises and to do not return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I have always been under the impression that it must be held by the person when undergoing any agreed work. I have known ImmigrationOfficers to do spot visits to schools and all teachers without a WP to show ,are promptly told to leave the premises and to do not return.

Officialy yes, if you have been issued a WP it's your property and should be with you. Many schools convince teachers that the school has to hold it safe blah blah.

Every job I've had has been with what I call responsible companies, not teaching, O&G, and I have always been handed my WP when it was issued on the understanding if I lost it I would be responsible for replacement and all costs.

Schools in general bullshit teachers on WP's and labour laws to keep control of the teachers as the teachers are kept in the dark on such matters and in many cases the teachers don't care.

• Like 1

Officialy yes, if you have been issued a WP it's your property and should be with you. Many schools convince teachers that the school has to hold it safe blah blah.
Every job I've had has been with what I call responsible companies, not teaching, O&G, and I have always been handed my WP when it was issued on the understanding if I lost it I would be responsible for replacement and all costs.
Schools in general bullshit teachers on WP's and labour laws to keep control of the teachers as the teachers are kept in the dark on such matters and in many cases the teachers don't care.

I’m sure your probably right about young inexperienced people. I have always had to pay for the WP so it’s mine, end of!

5 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I’m sure your probably right about young inexperienced people. I have always had to pay for the WP so it’s mine, end of!

To be honest I do like to spread the word re' WP's, severance pay and general bullshit spread, a lot by schools on 'sign new contract every year, teachers don't come under labour law, must earn xxxxx  a year or labour law doesn't apply.'

I've often wondered if there was a 'social platform' that could be dedicated to such an endeavor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

I must be in the 1% of schools that lets teachers keep their work permit - have done so for years. Just bring it to the school for processing the renewal. It's too early to tell how this will work in practice (the story is vague and ambiguous in parts), so no point jumping to conclusions at this time. 

I must be in the 1% of schools that lets teachers keep their work permit - have done so for years. Just bring it to the school for processing the renewal. It's too early to tell how this will work in practice (the story is vague and ambiguous in parts), so no point jumping to conclusions at this time. 

I’d respectfully suggest you take it with you whenever you work. As said previously, I have heard of spot checks being undertaken on more than one occasion.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:09 PM, overherebc said:

I "imagine" myself as someone who employs teachers in industry and will be able to do it legally.

Of course I only employ teachers and other staff with imagination in the first place..... those in government schools with no imagination can keep on doing the same old grind and good luck to them.

Teachers do not come under minimum salary laws and, various other regs too.

WPs in any job have to be present where the person is working.  Regardless of who is carrying it.

Getting permits extended when working for more than one company has always been possible.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 11:29 AM, NCC1701A said:

"allowing foreigners with work permits to legally work in any field, anywhere in the country, for any employer as long as the work being done in not on the list of occupations prohibited to foreigners."

wow. I can perform brain surgery now. I'm off the Bangkok Hospital to let them know. :cheesy:

Ummmm. You could have a lit spare time on your hands in Thailand. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2018 at 11:49 AM, overherebc said:

Add in the fact that with a contract stating xx hours a week any change to the contract must be agreed between you and the employer. If he won't agree what will you do? resign and thereby lose your WP and extension?

Where it might work is if your employer opens a branch in another area and you decide to agree to a 50/50 split in working areas it means no need to apply for another WP.

Or if two different companies decide to split workers

( expats ) to cover both areas it makes it easier,  if you agree to the terms.

For me it really only benefits the employers.

Good points.  Thanks.