My Thai wife wants to adopt my non-Thai child from a previous marriage.

sakhalin

My Thai wife wants to adopt my non-Thai child from a previous marriage. Ex-wife left this world, I'm the only guardian. Perhaps someone has a similar experience. I will be glad to hear the order of actions.

Edited by sakhalin

Not a complete answer.

I assume you mean that the birth mother and yourself are both non-Thai. Therefore the child is currently not eligible for Thai citizenship.

So if your Thai wife did officially adopt the child:

- 1. Would the child then be entitled to Thai citizenship? Additionally would there be a Thai language test? 

- 2. If the child did gain Thai citizenship and is male, would the boy need to go through the Thai military conscription process (and if this is true, could it be cancelled by his attending a school which has a high school cadet program which upon enrolment in the cdets and attending compulsory lessons and a few camps cancels the conscription lottery at 20 years old? All of that depends of course on his age now?

A big decision, lots of factors to consider. With respect, a big factor is the stability of your marriage.

An even bigger consideration, what is best, long-term for the child and I'm sure that's strongly in your thoughts?

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

So if your Thai wife did officially adopt the child:

- 1. Would the child then be entitled to Thai citizenship? Additionally would there be a Thai language test? 

A big decision, lots of factors to consider. With respect, a big factor is the stability of your marriage.

An even bigger consideration, what is best, long-term for the child and I'm sure that's strongly in your thoughts?

The thought of guardianship arose because, in the event of my death, there is no one who could take my child.

Yes, I hope the child to get a second Thai citizenship, it will not be superfluous. I'm not sure that he should take the Thai language test. He is 12 years old, we have been living here for several years now. In a new marriage, there are also two children.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sakhalin said:

The thought of guardianship arose because, in the event of my death, there is no one who could take my child.

Yes, I hope the child to get a second Thai citizenship, it will not be superfluous. I'm not sure that he should take the Thai language test. He is 12 years old, we have been living here for several years now. In a new marriage, there are also two children.

Your intent to provide a good legal, loving and happy family situation for the future is noble, I admire you and your wife and I sincerely hope you achieve your goals with this. 

I wonder if any of the TV gurus on subjects like this could suggest a high knowledgeable, credible and proven track record to advise and guide you. But that appraoch is of course your decision.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Be very careful. It sounds like you are playing with fire.The child being legally adopted by a Thai woman would give her the same parental rights as the biological father. In the event of divorce, custody issues, child support, living arrangements. Think this through before you do something you may regret. What is the purpose of a lergal adoption? Do you really need it to live together as a family? Speak with a qualified attorney before entering into any agreement for your child's adoption. Be smart and think with your brain.

4 minutes ago, bangkoken said:

Be very careful. It sounds like you are playing with fire.The child being legally adopted by a Thai woman would give her the same parental rights as the biological father. In the event of divorce, custody issues, child support, living arrangements. Think this through before you do something you may regret. What is the purpose of a lergal adoption? Do you really need it to live together as a family? Speak with a qualified attorney before entering into any agreement for your child's adoption. Be smart and think with your brain.

Ignore.

1 hour ago, bangkoken said:

Be very careful. It sounds like you are playing with fire.

I understand and appreciate your concern and I am also well aware of the legal consequences of custody. But believe, there are families where people do not play games but just live and enjoy. I see only positive moments for my son: free medicine, free education, the opportunity to work and forever forget the way to the immigration office. Of course, it will take a long time, but I hope to solve this puzzle. Unfortunately Google did not give me a single reference to such an experience. The conversation with local lawyers made them frozen. ?

35 minutes ago, Maybole said:

Most Important, What does the child think?

I talked to him about it. He does not see the bad in this. Although to be honest, he does not care, he still does not understand much in his 12 years. Talk about buying a new game will interest him much more. If for adults Thailand is a comfortable country, then for him it is just an ordinary territory with heat, palm trees, the sea and a school where one does not ask homework. And from the fact that he will have a  legal mother, relations in the family will not change.

33 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...what I would consider is....

...a child with citizenship in another country provides a 'gateway' to any guardian....and their entourage...

...means they would no longer need you if they so decided....etc...

Sorry, but my poor knowledge of English does not allow me to understand the course of your thoughts. What means "any guardian....and their entourage..."? Only a father or mother can be a legal guardian, if they were not deprived of this right. And in which direction do you have in mind the gateway? To Thai or from Thai? ?

I think you have to check the procedure in your home country and not in Thailand. As your son is not a Thai citizen I assume local courts have no say on matters like guardianship over him. Once the process is completed in your home country, your wife will probably have to take the official adoption documents to the district office. That's when the process to get your son the Thai citizenship will probably start

6 hours ago, sakhalin said:

Sorry, but my poor knowledge of English does not allow me to understand the course of your thoughts. What means "any guardian....and their entourage..."? Only a father or mother can be a legal guardian, if they were not deprived of this right. And in which direction do you have in mind the gateway? To Thai or from Thai? ?

Not quite true, a legal guardian can be anybody.