Pattaya transvestites charged with picking British tourist’s pocket

webfact

30 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

Credit cards and banks don't like commenting on fraud at all, as the figures are huge, really huge and it's not something they want to bandy around. You are much better off using a credit card than a debit card, especially if that debit card belongs to a foreign bank where you may not receive much customer protection, you can liken it to possession is 9/10s of the law. When you use a debit card your money goes as soon as the transaction is made whereas you receive better protection with a credit card as it is delayed. I purchased some furniture on a company master card from an online company and then read their reviews (yes the wrong way around). I phoned mastercard with my concerns and they instantly cancelled the transaction, I could not have done that with a debit card.

I follow what you're saying. However I don't qualify for a credit card, even though there has been no fraud on my account. I was trying to do the right thing by telling them that in Thailand no one will ever check the signature. Something which to my logic needs bringing to their attention.

I've just noticed another poster has said they've never signed the back of their card and it has never been pointed out by any merchant.

In my case I deliberately sign with a different name to that on the back of my card.

It started as a test, to see what would happen. Nothing. I've posted about this elsewhere, but I've signed as  Enid Blyton  (a UK children's author) for years now, and also as Rumpelstiltskin a few times.

I've even told the two credit card companies about this (even though it's only using their system to clear a debit card payment).

My wife however, had her debit card stolen and used fraudulently, therefore cash was debited from her account in less than half an hour after it was stolen, but it was an hour before she realised, then immediately told the bank.

They informed her it had been used in a store fifty metres from where the theft occurred. She went to the store and they confirmed it had indeed been used.

The store gave her the details of who had used it - incredibly the thief had used their own store loyalty card with the purchase. The police arrested the thief, who paid back the cash to my wife and went to court.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit

The most doubtful point here is at the point of the purchase did the goldsmith think the card belongs to the Thai customer bearing a farang name. This is interesting because probably they always patronized this particular goldsmith!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

They have allegedly been arrested 15 times previously on similar charges.

Throw them in jail for a couple of years. And while they're at it, round up all of them on Beach road and Walking street to keep them company.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Quite bias.. are you not sure about your own sexuality that you connect criminals and ladyboys. Plenty of normal ladyboys in BKK that work normal jobs. Its probably different in Pattaya as its far more criminal.. but still taring everyone with the same brush is crazy

It’s out of control for years in Pattaya, when is going to Stop, no painting it’s Fact

11 minutes ago, ttrd said:

As long as there are no ID requirement issued by the card companies towards the shop owners where the shops will be held responsible if they ignore to do so this kind of scam will continue....

Hopefully the fingerprint scan technology will put an end to it unless the shop owners will accept a severed finger ....:shock1:

By the end of 2019, all Thai issued debit cards will have been replaced with the 'chip & pin' option. A six-digit PIN code, which can be used when making a card payment.

I put 'can' in italics as from what I remember, in the UK when making a transaction, you must enter your PIN to confirm the transaction.

Incredibly here in Thailand, the Bank of Thailand who oversee the card processing transactions, have allowed each individual merchant to choose whether they want to accept a signature or PIN verification.

The path of lowest resistance is to stick with the signature - as I have already said, a security nightmare. Also with a stolen card, the thief is extremely unlikely to also know the PIN.

I've told the BOT about it, but they just make a note of my email (again after chasing them many times about it).

I think the British guy is lying and we need Big Joke down to Pattaya to investigate because Thais would never to do such a thing.

Maybe the guy is making it up regardless of all the video evidence just to give Thailand a bad name.

After all, he wants ' quality tourists ' to sit on filthy, rubbish-filled beaches and bathe in dirty seas, whilst not smoking or risk jail and a 100,000 baht fine.

He also wants them not to complain when a crime is committed, nor should they say anything that damages the ' cash cow ' that is tourism. They should accept drugs being put into their drinks, being fleeced by dishonest touts and taxi drivers, the occasional attack by twenty motorcycle taxis should be put down to a misunderstanding as should any stealing of cash and credit cards by maids in hotel rooms.

After all, what are holidays all about other than filling Thai coffers?

Ridiculous? Well yes, but no more silly than the rest of the tripe they try to feed us as fact.

Edited by Scouse123

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Siriously, what with these gender confused people? is this is the life of crimes they envisioning to themselves and than complaining that they get no sympathy from people who look down at them? get a life you trans-moron douchebags, why don't you go and rob your own kind and stop targeting innocent people...

Gosh

trans-moron - douchebags- that’s a new one is the world of understanding the diversity of human sexuality.

I would imagine as a Palestinian you would encompass the concept being oppressed ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Siriously, what with these gender confused people? is this is the life of crimes they envisioning to themselves and than complaining that they get no sympathy from people who look down at them? get a life you trans-moron douchebags, why don't you go and rob your own kind and stop targeting innocent people...

you can bet they do rob their own kind

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

The one on the left looks more of a scarecrow , maybe some new clothes should have been top of the list instead of some tomfoolery ..

Now I think the one on the right looks like a tom but foolery suits him/her well. Does have nice legs though .

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, shackleton said:

It's about time the 500 baht fine  which is not deterring people was raised to 1000 baht 

that will make them think twice about committing crimes 

They all need a damn good thrashing, cold showers every morning and 2 years national service.

Blighters eh

No petty crime back in good old back home

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Ok if you say so i bow to your superior knowledge (not a flame) i almost never use creditcards. I am not sure Dutch creditcards refund as easy as US ones.

All banks work the same way, it’s master/visa regulations worldwide.

even Thai banks have to follow , though Thai banks make it extra hard with its paperwork but end result is the same. 

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

It would seem the rehabilitation program is not working very well then and might need looking at.

2 yrs in lock up and they can use the time to practise there trade on other guests in the slammer

5 hours ago, robblok said:

That is something they should really look at.. best would be if the creditcard company just refunded the tourists and let the gold shop owners footing the bill (i know im dreaming). But it seems a lot of gold shop owners are in on it.

Gold shop owners don't give sh it, a sale is a sale, so long as they get the money they don't care who they sell it to

8 hours ago, Rimmer said:

It would seem the rehabilitation program is not working very well then and might need looking at.

"Mother" did not bring up "Daughter"very well by the looks of it

Many years ago, before walking street got so bad and the US Fleet anchored off shore of Pattaya, a young Sailor was walking in the company of a Katoey . As they walked by the bar where a group of us were sitting, I yelled out to the Sailor "Hey "Anchor Head", you prefer men to ladies", because that's what you got. He took a closer look at his "companion", disengaged and joined us at the bar (many of us VN vets). The Katoey was not in the least pleased but other than giving us a rude finger salute, went back to his hunt for another gullible young sailor. Maybe the Sailor knew or maybe not. Many cases back then of heterosexuals waking up with a friend of a different kind and going crazy, sometimes resulting in injury or death to one or the other.

50 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

"Mother" did not bring up "Daughter"very well by the looks of it

Father, what means transgender? Ask your mother - he knows....:shock1:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, webfact said:

stealing cash and a credit card from a British tourist

Actually that card looks like a local Krungsri debit card, not a foreign credit card. It is not nominative, which makes it hard for shopkeepers to tell if it is being used by the real cardholder or not.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/PersonalBanking/CardProducts/KrungsriDebitcard/Krungsri-Debit.html

Good luck to anyone trying to get money back from a Thai bank in a situation like this.