My first rice cooker - what do I do wrong? (it sticks in pan)

aldriglikvid

Try adding some coconut oil. Leave the lid off and stir it well when it comes to a boil and then cover. If the rice isn't stuck when boiling begins, it shouldn't stick later as the boiling keeps the grains in motion. I use a chopstick to stir. I also use a regular pot to cook rice as I'm unsure about the exotic coatings - stainless steel is good for me (I think).

Had many brands over the years, admittedly higher quality ones, and never a problem. Equal amounts rice to water, 1 cup of each - for 1 person; rinse once first. If not ready when cooked, leave it on warm...that's what it's for. I've seen many cheap brands too...all working just fine. I suspect the one you have is faulty...perhaps the heater or thermostat.

Just now, jkcjag said:

Had many brands over the years, admittedly higher quality ones, and never a problem. Equal amounts rice to water, 1 cup of each - for 1 person; rinse once first. If not ready when cooked, leave it on warm...that's what it's for. I've seen many cheap brands too...all working just fine. I suspect the one you have is faulty...perhaps the heater or thermostat.

I mean "if you are not ready to eat, once it's cooked, leave it on warm..."

I know some people are going to get upset by this as it's most definitely not a traditional Thai method, (because It requires a microwave oven) although I do use Thai Jasmine rice. I do not wash the rice - the excess starch drains away at the end of the cooking process.

My method, which I use very successfully in UK is a Microwave Rice Steamer like this (many others available).

Being plastic, the rice never sticks and my rice is always just so. I put the rice in the basket, and cover the rice with boiling water. I cover the rice with the water and add about 2-3 cm over the rice level.

If you put in too much water, it will boil over.

Cook on full for 6 mins, take out out, stir, and cook for another 6 mins  (adding a little water if required)  Take it out, stir, taste, and cook a little more if you want softer rice. My microwave is 700W.

I experimented with amounts of water and timings for a while - you may need to do the same.

The only downside is that left over rice will cool - I actually prefer that and reheat it it in the microwave if/when required. I never really like the idea of the rice keeping warm for several hours anyway.

Edited by VBF

19 hours ago, metisdead said:

We took Thai rice to the USA for Mom and she had this problem with the rice sticking in the rice cooker as well.  It was found that rinsing the rice before cooking fixed this problem.

I was taught by YKW that rinsing the rice well was first compulsory step in rice cooker 101.

First time I tried alone I didn't rinse the rice, she found out and politely threw it away with a very gentle reminder and some simple rules and lessons:

- 1. 'Never cook / eat rice which has not been washed at home'.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, datcook said:

Here is my recipe for cooking fluffy rice.

First of all get the rice cooker, rice, water and a large glass of good quality whisky.

Put the water in the cooker and take a sip of whisky

put the rice in and take a sip of whisky, stir together and take a sip of whisky

Put the whisky in and take a sip of rice not forgetting to take a sip of rice cooker

Leave until the cooker is soft and take a sip of water

Then whisky a sip of cook

Oh, f#*& it just sit down and drink the whisky

Never fails 

Now i'm not sure you is more confused; you or me?

20 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

It shouldn't boil over.  According to my wife, the water level should be at the first knuckle on the index finger (from the tip) above the rice...

So we all have the same size hands and fingers do we, what a load of typical Thai twaddle

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sprigger said:

So we all have the same size hands and fingers do we, what a load of typical Thai twaddle

Same first joint 'rule' used / practised by every Asian person I have ever know in a dozen Asian countries plus more. It works.

My rice cooker is teflon was not expensive but I noticed the heat source centre was sprung loaded so as the rice cooks and the weight of water decreases the base of the pan is slightly lifted away from direct heat. I doubt this is the system in a cheap rice cooker. Cooks two cups of rice perfectly with the same amount of water and a little left from rinsing until water runs clear. I also use tumeric in the rice and still no sticking.

• Like 1

rice cooker ?

waste of  money

take a simple pot

put normal (? ) white rice into together with water 1 : 1,4 (depends on the rice)

bring it to boil. when it boils immediately put cooker off (no gas....) and  cover the pot

after 4 minutes bring it to boil again (dont let it boil!). Again cover pot

wait about 14 minutes. (no need to stay near the pot !!!)

Thats it !

in the second worldwar  every  japanese solier had an insulated  cup for making rice. They put the  rice into it added boiling water ,closed it and  waited 25 minutes . I think most rice"cookers" use this technic: just bring the water to boil and stop adding more energy when it boils. cheap shitty cookers do not stop the boiling quickly enough or  not at all. thats the problem.

Rice cookers are always insulated.

with cheap cookers, there is a real risk of burning down the house ! if you  let them work unattended .Happened to my neighbour

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 12:38 PM, mlkik said:

If you only cook 1 cup of rice then it can be quite normal to stick. I have found that you need 2 cups or more to prevent sticking.

On 9/4/2018 at 9:17 PM, stubuzz said:

Remove the pan from the cooker and let it cool for about 30 minutes before trying to remove the rice. You will find that the rice is not stuck to the bottom.

These two answer are exactly right.

Posters claiming you have to rinse the starch away are talking nonsense as white rice is almost entirely starch so there's no way of washing it away.

Also a 1:1.5 rice to water ratio is too high for Thai rice. 1:1.2 or even 1:1 works better.

Edited by edwardandtubs

8 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Posters claiming you have to rinse the starch away are talking nonsense as white rice is almost entirely starch so there's no way of washing it away.

Only 1 poster mistakenly said that, every one else said that you rinse the rice until the powder that is left from the milling process is washed off (though in different words). Incidentally that is powdered starch 

• Like 2

I don’t buy butter and don’t want to use it or eat it. It is not used in Thailand, Japanese, or any other type of Oriental cookery.

BTW what is commonly sold as “butter” in Thailand is actually just a byproduct of dairy production mixed with adulterants and probably not a good idea to ingest on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I don’t buy butter and don’t want to use it or eat it. It is not used in Thailand, Japanese, or any other type of Oriental cookery.

BTW what is commonly sold as “butter” in Thailand is actually just a byproduct of dairy production mixed with adulterants and probably not a good idea to ingest on a regular basis.

Evidence please. I buy butter from Makro and it's definitely butter.

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Look up “butter oil”. I would not like to ingest anything other than imported French or Dutch butter forget the price. That stuff is actually not bad for you.

That's not an answer to your assertion that 'what is commonly sold as “butter” in Thailand is actually just a byproduct of dairy production mixed with adulterants'.

Unless you can provide some evidence, it's fair to assume that what you wrote is nonsense.