I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

This my second attempt to respond first one lost in Cyber space
As I have about six weeks left on current Extension no real hurry.
I am planning to go back and stay with family  in Melbourne.
Just for a few months build up a small nest egg, see  a cardiologist.
then consider my options. Most likely next year Health permitting check out options in Asia.  $au still going down atm so biding my time.
I'm curious. How do you build up a small nest egg in 3 weeks? Rob banks? Genuinely curious...

Be happy

33 minutes ago, Bournville said:

I'm curious. How do you build up a small nest egg in 3 weeks? Rob banks? Genuinely curious...

Be happy

I said Small ***  4 months with Family + Pension and free medical care, subsidised transport hope to put a little bit away. Here in Thailand due to Romeo Sierra exchange rates I can save nothing

• Like 2

I would have thought that choosing to move to a foreign country in one's retirement should not only involve the cost of living in that country, compared to the cost of living in one's home country, but the attractions of the culture of that country, the friendliness of the local people, the scenic interests and history of the surrounding area, and the joys of communicating with the local people by learning their language.

It's basic common sense to adjust one's lifestyle in accordance with one's income, whatever country one is living in. 
If your main motivation in moving to Thailand was 'more bang for your buck', then there could be a never-ending process of moving from country to country as exchange rates change, provided the immigrations regulations made it feasible of course.

44 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

I would have thought that choosing to move to a foreign country in one's retirement should not only involve the cost of living in that country, compared to the cost of living in one's home country, but the attractions of the culture of that country, the friendliness of the local people, the scenic interests and history of the surrounding area, and the joys of communicating with the local people by learning their language.

It's basic common sense to adjust one's lifestyle in accordance with one's income, whatever country one is living in. 
If your main motivation in moving to Thailand was 'more bang for your buck', then there could be a never-ending process of moving from country to country as exchange rates change, provided the immigrations regulations made it feasible of course.

You will find as you pass age 65 that cost of living is a critical factor when it comes to retirement, a person who moves from one country to another in search of lower living costs is already struggling with costs in the country they've just left and has probably made all the adjustments they can.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

You will find as you pass age 65 that cost of living is a critical factor when it comes to retirement, a person who moves from one country to another in search of lower living costs is already struggling with costs in the country they've just left and has probably made all the adjustments they can.

Not in Australia. If you don't own your own home, you get a rental subsidy in addition to the old age pension. You also get totally free medical insurance. 

I'm a pensioner in Australia, and am very impressed that I never get charged anything when I visit a doctor in my local medical clinic for some minor ailment, although I do pay for any prescribed medication, but at a subsidized rate which is probably not much more than the cost of the same medication in Thailand.

If I were to get seriously ill with a life-threatening condition, I would immediately be rushed to hospital, all free. If I had a non-life-threatening condition, I would probably be on a waiting list without private health insurance, but that's not a significant concern if the problem is none-life-threatening.

The main reason why any retired Australian would move to Thailand because they are struggling with the cost of living in Australia, is because they don't have the nous to organize their affairs and adjust to their economic conditions.
For example, such people might be used to eating in restaurants where the average meal, without wine, cost $20 -$30. In Thailand, the cost might be $5-$10, or even less in the countryside. Wow!

If that's your concern, then the solution is simple. Cook your own bloody food at home. You can even save money by baking your own bread. If you can't afford a car, then ride a bicycle or travel by bus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

Not in Australia. If you don't own your own home, you get a rental subsidy in addition to the old age pension. You also get totally free medical insurance. 

I'm a pensioner in Australia, and am very impressed that I never get charged anything when I visit a doctor in my local medical clinic for some minor ailment, although I do pay for any prescribed medication, but at a subsidized rate which is probably not much more than the cost of the same medication in Thailand.

If I were to get seriously ill with a life-threatening condition, I would immediately be rushed to hospital, all free. If I had a non-life-threatening condition, I would probably be on a waiting list without private health insurance, but that's not a significant concern if the problem is none-life-threatening.

The main reason why any retired Australian would move to Thailand because they are struggling with the cost of living in Australia, is because they don't have the nous to organize their affairs and adjust to their economic conditions.
For example, such people might be used to eating in restaurants where the average meal, without wine, cost $20 -$30. In Thailand, the cost might be $5-$10, or even less in the countryside. Wow!

If that's your concern, then the solution is simple. Cook your own bloody food at home. You can even save money by baking your own bread. If you can't afford a car, then ride a bicycle or travel by bus.

That sounds like an excellent reason for Aussies to stay in Australia when they retire. I do know one retirement age Aussie in Byron Bay who lives in his car and dumpster dives for food but I assume that he's an anomaly, having been a mostly unemployed musician during his prime years and never having  met a drug that he didn't like. But this forum is about Thailand, isn't it?

8 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

That sounds like an excellent reason for Aussies to stay in Australia when they retire. I do know one retirement age Aussie in Byron Bay who lives in his car and dumpster dives for food but I assume that he's an anomaly, having been a mostly unemployed musician during his prime years and never having  met a drug that he didn't like. But this forum is about Thailand, isn't it?

No. It's about Thailand and the comparative advantages of other countries such as the Philippines.
The OP is from Australia.

11 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Just one more reason that Aussies have it better than we Yanks.The lack of any real universal healthcare in Thailand is a real concern for us. I'm beginning to wonder if Mexico might have been a better option.

Medicare is pretty good for people who are over 65 years of age.  Where the problem comes in is if you've married a Thai she wouldn't be eligible for Medicare if you brought her back to the US.

1 hour ago, VincentRJ said:

Oh, so the thread topic is about Australia, who would have known!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mogandave said:

She will be when she’s 65

What's the rule about that?  I thought that it was necessary for a foreign spouse of a US citizen to be resident in the US for 5 years to become eligible for SS and Medicare benefits.

Edited by suzannegoh
  • Thanks 1

Not necessarily! Many Australians (& retirees from elsewhere) move to Thailand NOT because they are struggling, but because they HAVE used their nous to organise their affairs to the extent that they have a property to live in each country. They come and go as they choose.

They are living the dream.

Just now, Nemises said:

Not necessarily! Many Australians (& retirees from elsewhere) move to Thailand not because they are struggling, but because they HAVE used their nous to organise their affairs to the extent that they have a property to live in each country. They come and go as they choose.

The biggest complaint that most Aussies that I know have is that they need to go back to Australia regularly in order to continue to be eligible to collect their disability benefits.  While that does sound unfortunate, the strange thing is that I've never met an Australian in Thailand who was incapacitated by anything other than alcohol.

• Haha 2

What's the rule about that?  I thought that it was necessary for a foreign spouse of a US citizen to be resident in the US for 5 years to become eligible for SS and Medicare benefits.

Well she’d have to be in the US to use it, yes?

In any event, if you have no money, healthcare is free in the US.

24 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Not necessarily! Many Australians (& retirees from elsewhere) move to Thailand NOT because they are struggling, but because they HAVE used their nous to organise their affairs to the extent that they have a property to live in each country. They come and go as they choose.

Read my post again. Do you see the difference between,

The main reason why any retired Australian would move to Thailand

because they are struggling with the cost of living in Australia, is because they don't have the nous to organize their affairs and adjust to their economic conditions.

and, 

The main reason why any retired Australian would move to Thailand

is because they are struggling with the cost of living in Australia.

My statement refers to people who specifically move to another country because they are struggling to make ends meet in Australia. If they are not struggling to make ends meet, then that's a different scenario and of course there could be many economic advantages with regard to the pleasurable activities of having residences in two different countries.

Edited by VincentRJ

Well she’d have to be in the US to use it, yes?

In any event, if you have no money, healthcare is free in the US.

If you know the details of how it works I'd be interested to hear about it.

Yes, she'd have to be in the US to get it.  The scenario that I heard about is a 65yr American with 55 yr old Thai wife.  In that case, if they moved to the US he'd be Medicare eligible but he'd need to either buy her an insanely expensive insurance policy or have her go without insurance. And since they aren't poor enough to qualify for Medicaid, having no insurance would be a huge risk.

• Like 1

If you know the details of how it works I'd be interested to hear about it. 
Yes, she'd have to be in the US to get it.  The scenario that I heard about is a 65yr American with 55 yr old Thai wife.  In that case, if they moved to the US he'd be Medicare eligible but he'd need to either buy her an insanely expensive insurance policy or have her go without insurance. And since they aren't poor enough to qualify for Medicaid, having no insurance would be a huge risk.

Yes, she’d have to be in the US five years and be 65 for medical.

Insurance for catastrophic coverage I likely more affordable that you think. Also, you can have a good (car, home etc.) and still get coverage.

If she’s only 55 she could always get a job and get coverage that way...

In reality she could if 55 get coverage pretty cheaply through ACA with tax credits.

Now it may be with a horrible deductible, but that's why God invented credit cards.

Nobody is ever denied treatment in the US, that's just a fiction portrayed in the media

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

In reality she could if 55 get coverage pretty cheaply through ACA with tax credits.

Now it may be with a horrible deductible, but that's why God invented credit cards.

Nobody is ever denied treatment in the US, that's just a fiction portrayed in the media

bull cockey nobody is denied treatment.  I had coverage for ever like since 1982 then in 1998 while between opportunities i went to the ER and was turned away.  I have seen thousands crush the Los angeles ER rooms and drive hospitals into bankruptcy, but if they think you can pay or have friends or family that ca pay they will play hard ball with you.  Just walk into any decent doctor office today and present no insurance and no money and unless you are really bleeding out, you will be turned away or referred elsewhere

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

There could be many reasons why people choose to live in Thailand. Many of us went through divorces in our 50s and lost everything. Without a family home (and being retired) its difficult to start again in Australia simply because rents are so high.

Yes of course. Also, there are sometimes many reasons combined and it might be difficult to single out one main reason.

If you were in your 50s when you had to start again, then you were not eligible to receive a government pension. As I understand, if you are on the Old Age government pension and are paying rent because you don't own your own home, there is a fairly generous government rental subsidy, in addition to the pension.

Checking on the internet, I see that the minimum rent that qualifies a single pensioner to receive a rental subsidy, is A$120 per fortnight. If the rent is $300 or more, per fortnight, one gets the maximum subsidy of $135 per fortnight, which brings a $150 per week rent down to below $85 per week. Considering that the total pension, excluding the rental subsidy which applies to anyone in need, but including all other supplements, such as energy supplement and pharmaceutical supplement, amounts to $907 per fortnight for a single person (provided one doesn't have any other income), and $1,368 for a couple, I don't see any major difficulty in Australia, if one has the nous to manage one's affairs.

Of course, if such a person were to move to Thailand, he would no longer be eligible for the rental subsidy and the other supplements, and his pension would be reduced accordingly. This is something one should thoroughly investigate if one is thinking of moving to Thailand for mainly economic reasons.

The OP implies that a reduced income due to the falling Aussie dollar is the main reason he's considering moving out of Thailand to a lower-cost country. However, there might be other issues involved which he hasn't mentioned, perhaps even because he's hardly aware of them, such as a pervasive dissatisfaction with the culture and general lifestyle in Thailand.

In my case, I'm married to an Thai ex-teacher and, as her spouse, get free public medical coverage including for prescriptions. This is a real benefit for me in Thailand. Paying for my prescriptions in Australia (even at the subsidized rate) would cost be $500 (10,000 Baht) per month. Here in Thailand it is free for me and a significant saving.

I didn't realize that Thailand has such a good social security system that even includes free pharmaceuticals. I guess all those elderly foreigners who can't afford private health insurance should be looking for the appropriate Thai wife.  ?

• Like 2

bull cockey nobody is denied treatment.  I had coverage for ever like since 1982 then in 1998 while between opportunities i went to the ER and was turned away.  I have seen thousands crush the Los angeles ER rooms and drive hospitals into bankruptcy, but if they think you can pay or have friends or family that ca pay they will play hard ball with you.  Just walk into any decent doctor office today and present no insurance and no money and unless you are really bleeding out, you will be turned away or referred elsewhere

If they’re all turned away, how do they drive the hospitals into bankruptcy?
  • Like 1