I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

I just read that Fidelity has over 635,000 people with over a million in their 401K.

Gotta love capitalism....

The company I work for, (now over 200,000 worldwide employees), uses Fidelity to manage the 401K

For every $1 we invest in the 401K the company matches 65%. They do this in lieu of a pension at retirement.

If you don't save, you end up with nothing at retirement. If you do save the max over a career, you can retire with 7 figures.

Combined with social security, a person can live out his life in the comfort he/she is use to

Some people can get to retirement a lot earlier than others.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sure, but that's hardly the majority of their accounts.

https://www.creditdonkey.com/average-savings-by-age.html

But the context of my previous comment was really about qualifying for Mexico. Many more would have 100K to show than their required pension. 

credit donkey?

Yeh that must be a really reliable website!

Probably more important than Goldman Sachs

The company I work for, (now over 200,000 worldwide employees), uses Fidelity to manage the 401K

For every $1 we invest in the 401K the company matches 65%. They do this in lieu of a pension at retirement.

If you don't save, you end up with nothing at retirement. If you do save the max over a career, you can retire with 7 figures.

Combined with social security, a person can live out his life in the comfort he/she is use to

Some people can get to retirement a lot earlier than others.

I retired earlier this year, the company I worked for matched 100% up to 8% of your salary. Everyone also got a “bonus” each year into the 401K based on company performance.

Still there were guys that wouldn’t contribute.

Also a lot of guys (in the US) that would not take the medical because they had to pay 15%...

In the next few years they’ll start means-testing social security such that everyone that saved their money will get screwed.

16 hours ago, garyk said:

Same here, I am always floored at people who cannot live here on 40K.  I don't drink and don't smoke and don't go with any gold digging women. Which Thailand is full of!

Before I retired I stayed here on and off for 10 years. Many times I literally could not spend 40K/mo. I am not kidding. I enjoy pretty good food and like to travel around Thailand. 

Unless you just got off the plane, or want to live a crazy life style, these countries are a wonderful place to retire. For pennies.

On a side note. Last year I spent several months in Colombia. There is another country that is about like Thailand. In regards to quality of life on very little money. I traveled around the country for months and lived in some Very nice hotels for less than 40K/mo. baht. And I don't have to live on that! I could easily spend more but I just could not?  I rented a room in a very comfortable hotel in Colombia for two months with a nice pool, free and very nice breakfast, weight room, sauna for 300 dollars a month?????

People that complain about money here must not be putting in much effort. Or listening to others here on TV. Anyone reading this, TV is the worst site there is in Thailand in regards to living here. Don't listen to the people posting here. 

Very interesting to learn about Columbia. Retiring and being healthy to travel is a big plus.

I agree with your post's about not listening to anyone.

We are all grown men who are, for the most part, quite capable of making our own decisions as we are the only ones that truly know the facts of our finances.

Yet people will always be bitter and thrust their uneducated opinions everything they can, probably out of boredom.

46 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Very interesting to learn about Columbia. Retiring and being healthy to travel is a big plus.

We are all grown men who are, for the most part, quite capable of making our own decisions as we are the only ones that truly know the facts of our finances.

Yet people will always be bitter and thrust their uneducated opinions everything they can, probably out of boredom.

Finances are,of course,only one part of the equation.

I invested 33 million US dollars in Gatortrix-and now live quite comfortably in my concrete shed with  a tin roof..I live the dream.

Did I ever tell you how I was marched 2 kilometres in 42 degrees heat to save 5 baht on a cup of coffee by a European pensioner on a magnificent plan?

Splendid stuff..endless conversations about pensions and health plans.

I'm hearing some noise about recent issues in Colombia. The old war not entirely over. Refugees from Venezuela. Drug violence on the up against again. Of course it's still probably way safer than Baltimore.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm hearing some noise about recent issues in Colombia. The old war not entirely over. Refugees from Venezuela. Drug violence on the up against again. Of course it's still probably way safer than Baltimore.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Haha, I was there about a year ago. It was ok, but not as safe as Thailand. 

6 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Its all well and good to talk about living here on 40k a month (which I agree is entirely possible) but what happens when bad luck intervenes?  We are all getting older and some are already relatively old when they relocate here in Thailand.  Everybody is going to suffer from medical problems as they get older - life is terminal. Good medical care in Thailand is expensive (maybe not compared to the US, but for most of us Europeans). And accidents happen - a lot.

I split my time between Thailand and the UK. I recently needed a high-resolution MRI scan and was surprised to find the cost in Bangkok about the same as in a private facility in the UK (I could also have opted for a free scan on the NHS in the UK, of course). 

About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with a very serious neurological condition - potentially very unpleasant and terminal.  Within a week of seeing a consultant at my local hospital in the UK I had been sent to meet one of the top guys in the world, in London, and had diagnostics done on some amazing neuroimaging equipment.  All done quickly and free (yes, we pay for it via tax, but free at the point of delivery) on the NHS.  Subsequent treatment, again free, meant I eventually made an almost full recovery and undoubtedly saved my life.  I shudder to think of the outcome had I been in Thailand (both in terms of costs and available expertise). Or in the USA (cost).

An acquaintance of mine has recently had to relocate back to the UK after about 12 years in Thailand.  He is not particularly old (about 62 IIRC) but has suffered serious stomach problems for the past couple of years.  The cost of medication, hospital bills, plus the fall in the GBP, meant that he could no longer afford to live in Thailand.  Sadly he has returned to the UK to live in a bedsit in a rather grim midlands town (to be near his sister).  He's had to leave his Thai partner behind in Thailand.  I've not actually spoken to him since he returned, but his sister has told me he's very depressed.

I am lucky enough to have pension income quite some way above 40k but the thought of ill-health in Thailand really scares me and for that reason I doubt we'll ever move here permanently.

I keep a place in my home country just for that.  When I decided to retire I sold my home and bought a small house for retirement. It is fairly easy to keep up, and comfortable for me when I go back. After a few years into roaming around I was diagnosed with a terminal illness if not treated properly. I hot footed it back home and got the treatment (free). And, now I am back running around. Although at a much slower pace. I thank god everyday I  set up a backup plan.

I checked on the treatment here in Thailand and it was about one tenth the cost of treatment in America if I had to pay out of pocket! So, medical care here is still extremely cheap compared to my country if you have to pay out of pocket. It was doable for me but I went home and got it for free. 

All the best.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Its all well and good to talk about living here on 40k a month (which I agree is entirely possible) but what happens when bad luck intervenes?  We are all getting older and some are already relatively old when they relocate here in Thailand.  Everybody is going to suffer from medical problems as they get older - life is terminal. Good medical care in Thailand is expensive (maybe not compared to the US, but for most of us Europeans). And accidents happen - a lot.

I split my time between Thailand and the UK. I recently needed a high-resolution MRI scan and was surprised to find the cost in Bangkok about the same as in a private facility in the UK (I could also have opted for a free scan on the NHS in the UK, of course). 

About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with a very serious neurological condition - potentially very unpleasant and terminal.  Within a week of seeing a consultant at my local hospital in the UK I had been sent to meet one of the top guys in the world, in London, and had diagnostics done on some amazing neuroimaging equipment.  All done quickly and free (yes, we pay for it via tax, but free at the point of delivery) on the NHS.  Subsequent treatment, again free, meant I eventually made an almost full recovery and undoubtedly saved my life.  I shudder to think of the outcome had I been in Thailand (both in terms of costs and available expertise). Or in the USA (cost).

An acquaintance of mine has recently had to relocate back to the UK after about 12 years in Thailand.  He is not particularly old (about 62 IIRC) but has suffered serious stomach problems for the past couple of years.  The cost of medication, hospital bills, plus the fall in the GBP, meant that he could no longer afford to live in Thailand.  Sadly he has returned to the UK to live in a bedsit in a rather grim midlands town (to be near his sister).  He's had to leave his Thai partner behind in Thailand.  I've not actually spoken to him since he returned, but his sister has told me he's very depressed.

I am lucky enough to have pension income quite some way above 40k but the thought of ill-health in Thailand really scares me and for that reason I doubt we'll ever move here permanently.

Everyone can learn from this post.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Subsequent treatment, again free, meant I eventually made an almost full recovery and undoubtedly saved my life.  I shudder to think of the outcome had I been in Thailand (both in terms of costs and available expertise). Or in the USA (cost).

How old are you?

And was your life worth saving?

Can't see much point in old dodderers hanging on for a few more years, fair enough if you're 20, but when over 60 what's the point?

I've been ready for death since the age of 52, but nothing ever seems to go wrong, and 10 years later, here I still am.

Edited by BritManToo

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How old are you?

And was your life worth saving?

Can't see much point in old dodderers hanging on for a few more years, fair enough if you're 20, but when over 60 what's the point?

I've been ready for death since the age of 52, but nothing ever seems to go wrong, and 10 years later, here I still am.

I retired here at 50 and have had almost 30 years of glorious retirement in Thailand.  I have rescued soi dogs and homeless women and women who would probably not have found a Thai man to marry.  The ladies have lived better and longer lives and so have their families.  I taught a couple of thousand Thai children to tell tourists where the bathroom is as an educator in government schools (before my pension started). I have funded college for a number of doctor's children.  I have started my Thai acquaintances off on numerous small business endeavors and have positively impacted the Thai economy.  Many more things but that will give you some idea of the positive aspects of having old dodders hanging around.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Everyone can learn from this post.

It is all a crap shoot.  I have made it for 30 years of my old life in Thailand with only four life threatening experiences which I was easily able to cover with pocket change.  Far as I'm concerned I have succeeded.  The rest is gravy.  If I go the last 30 years have been worth it.  I think I am in the majority statistically. Both my grandparents went into the hospital for a week and died and I think they were in the majority of my gene pool. 

40 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It is all a crap shoot.  I have made it for 30 years of my old life in Thailand with only four life threatening experiences which I was easily able to cover with pocket change.  Far as I'm concerned I have succeeded.  The rest is gravy.  If I go the last 30 years have been worth it.  I think I am in the majority statistically. 

If you've reached 80 in relatively good health then you are lucky.  I don't think you are in the majority statistically.  Take a look at the statistics.  People are certainly living longer, but often living with health problems.  Thailand is not a good place for those in poor health.  Walking around can be quite challenging for a start - even for those of us who are fully mobile. The infrastructure has not exactly been designed with an aging society in mind.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

being an "old dodderer", pushing age 75 in a couple of months, i see a wealth of "much point" to hang on for a few more years.

BritManToo said

I always use TFM bread flour, mainly because it's 32bht/kg

but unlike you i don't make my own pizza,

BritManToo said

Funny thing is once you are in Pattaya you are victim of the taxi and tuk tuk mafia and unless you use a public baht bus your fare is higher than the bus.

and use either my BMW or my wife's Benz. and if i feel like it also her driver.

shall i go on? rabugento1.gif

• Like 1

visualize musk in a darkened bar in the corner in the rear in a black vinyl booth with studded trim in a dirty black tee shirt watching ladyboys gyrate on stage smoky red electric light buzzing him viciously stroking eyes red like an animal stroking viciously until the neon dawn...

11 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I'm 63 and look 50 and you can't believe the month long sex orgy I'm having right now for my birthday.

But isn't it all a bit pointless?

What's the point of sex if you don't intend to have more children?

It's a bit like a hamster on a wheel, round and round and round.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Naam said:

being an "old dodderer", pushing age 75 in a couple of months, i see a wealth of "much point" to hang on for a few more years.

but unlike you i don't make my own pizza,

and use either my BMW or my wife's Benz. and if i feel like it also her driver.

shall i go on? rabugento1.gif

I think you confused the last Quote, I suggested they walk.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Yes Vicar....?

I don't think he was making a moralistic point.Perhaps he was just echoing:

Sex: the pleasure is momentary, the position ridiculous, and the expense damnable.

Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield

Edited by jayboy

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I don't think he was making a moralistic point.Perhaps he was just echoing:

Sex: the pleasure is momentary, the position ridiculous, and the expense damnable.

Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield

I thought that quote was from O.Wilde.

If sex is being overrated or not, has been debated since aeons, so far a consensus has not been found.