I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

1 minute ago, Shiver said:

Useless factoid:

Smoking increases risk of death to the tune of about 5x (500%) for lung cancer.  Being 70+, even as a non smoker increases risk of lung cancer about 500x (50,000%).  Toke and chill, just don't advertise it to the law.  Green tea will add about 13 years to your life, or just 8 if you're a smoker, so if you make marajuana tea... just sayin'

"It's the immune system stupit!" - not what happens, but what you do about it.

So why am I still here, my family lived till eighties and nighties breathing in ciggy, coal and paraffin (diesel) fumes heating the house....We were exposed to horrendous crap in our working life but we are still here.... Why is that...?

When I was a kid smoke came from every house chimney, smog covered London every year, yet we are still here.....Pubs in the UK, most smoked having a beer, did the bar staff all drop dead...Don't think so..

1 minute ago, transam said:

So why am I still here, my family lived till eighties and nighties breathing in ciggy, coal and paraffin (diesel) fumes heating the house....We were exposed to horrendous crap in our working life but we are still here.... Why is that...?

When I was a kid smoke came from every house chimney, smog covered London every year, yet we are still here.....Pubs in the UK, most smoked having a beer, did the bar staff all drop dead...Don't think so..

I smoke.  There's one particular friday night I remember in the 80's going into the local on a friday night and the air was visibly blue with the smoke.  Even I as a smoker couldn't take it and my eyes were watering.  I chirped up saying "we need extractor fans, for all concerned", instead they eventually banned smoking, the pub industry died, not the smokers.  In that period where they had outside smoking zones about 1 in 3 would come outside as non smokers because their friends were there.  Law and the governed don't really sing from the same song sheet.

1 hour ago, Shiver said:

Last time I was in England (I think maybe 2008?) I was there for 3 weeks and in all that time I saw just one girl who I would class as 'doable' on first impression (purely on looks, I didn't actually know her).  She was something like half my age(ish) so unobtanium there.  I'd also be frowned upon as a kiddie fiddler (she was probably University age or something).  Here there's a different system.  My wife is 33 and I'm 49 and that's seen as okay.  In England the curtains would be twitching.

She's about 3Kg over her own preferred weight.  I'm thinking 'f**********k' that's 20Kg less than you'd be if you came from where I came from.

im about your age and dont see half that as diddling fiddler, but sometimes it do present as an 'all in the family' type scenario

I met Mrs G when we were working together in Singapore, and I'd never been to Thailand.

Gotta say, when we moved to Thailand, one of the more disturbing things for me was seeing the 60/70 something guy in the mall, with the rugrat and his 20 something 'wife' in tow.

What are you thinking!

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I met Mrs G when we were working together in Singapore, and I'd never been to Thailand.

Gotta say, when we moved to Thailand, one of the more disturbing things for me was seeing the 60/70 something guy in the mall, with the rugrat and his 20 something 'wife' in tow.

What are you thinking!

Woody Allen is big news today.  His Korean wife was 21 when they started having an affair.  They been married 20 years.  She is 47 and he is 82.  I gotta say I find the judgemental people where I came from make me ill and I am really glad they are there and I'm here.  My wife is 40 and I'm almost 80.  30 year difference.  What was I thinking.  Firm feeling women.

• Thanks 1

Woody Allen is big news today.  His Korean wife was 21 when they started having an affair.  They been married 20 years.  She is 47 and he is 82.  I gotta say I find the judgemental people where I came from make me ill and I am really glad they are there and I'm here.  My wife is 40 and I'm almost 80.  30 year difference.  What was I thinking.  Firm feeling women.

[/url]  

surely that’s nearer 40 years difference ...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A lot of university aged women  in the UK and Ireland have became obese and Americanised

That they’re getting fat is a bummer, but it’s nice to hear they’re starting to bath regularly and shave their underarms and legs.

Next thing you know the’ll be brushing their teeth and seeing the dentist...

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

That they’re getting fat is a bummer, but it’s nice to hear they’re starting to bath regularly and shave their underarms and legs.

Next thing you know the’ll be brushing their teeth and seeing the dentist...

Who said they were bathing and shaving??

I wouldn't get my hopes up that high..... ? 

5 hours ago, transam said:

You're genes of course , you are blessed with good genes , just like my dad.

My dad smoked around 40-50 cigarettes daily from age 16 until 75.  Then he managed to stop smoking and lived until the grand old age of 93.   1 week in hospital and it was over. 

Then the big question remains , if he did not smoke would he live until 110 ?  

I am not a smoker and I only drink light. Will I live until 100 because of my good genes and because I am serious about eating healthy ?  

43 minutes ago, mogandave said:

He said they were Americanized...

Once they have eaten their way past the point of no return.... 

They have no incentive to bathe or shave because they won't be getting any male interest anyway.... 

It's a slippery slope for the ones that chose cake over c**k 

35 minutes ago, balo said:

You're genes of course , you are blessed with good genes , just like my dad.

My dad smoked around 40-50 cigarettes daily from age 16 until 75.  Then he managed to stop smoking and lived until the grand old age of 93.   1 week in hospital and it was over. 

Then the big question remains , if he did not smoke would he live until 110 ?  

I am not a smoker and I only drink light. Will I live until 100 because of my good genes and because I am serious about eating healthy ?  

Very possible if your dad lived to 93 you could reach 100+

The world health organisation recently said its a global trend with a few exceptions  in some poorer countries

• Like 1

13 hours ago, balo said:

Could be

Then again there are bugs that get sprayed with poison but get away & become stronger for it

Could be the same ? Meaning those who indulge in some bad things in moderation live longer due to building up

immunity's against everyday poisons?

Could also be the old saying it is not what goes in your mouth but what comes out that defiles you

Some folks believe various cancers brought on by various types of stress

So maybe the happy middle of the road folks live longest? ?

8 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm not sure about that. 

I'm n the UK currently and I've been here for the past two and a half months, it's my longest visit anywhere outside of Thailand for the past sixteen years. Looking around me I see that life for many people is good, it's especially easy for older people

We left Thailand two years ago & see the same in our country.

Not that we are that old either but it has gotten much easier in home country due to things being available as you mentioned & is the same here.

We leave next month for our 3 month a year stay in Thailand & look forward to it but...We have gotten use to the many great things back here too

The list is not short either ?

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Oh yes, and just to add, yesterday at Booths supermarket we found probably the best steak and kidney pie I've ever tasted, absolutely wonderful, try finding this bad boy in Thailand

try finding something yuckish like this in one of the civilised countries of Central Europe. :laugh:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, meechai said:

We left Thailand two years ago & see the same in our country.

Not that we are that old either but it has gotten much easier in home country due to things being available as you mentioned & is the same here.

We leave next month for our 3 month a year stay in Thailand & look forward to it but...We have gotten use to the many great things back here too

The list is not short either ?

We all have different boats to float....?

• Like 1

I'm not sure about that. 

I'm n the UK currently and I've been here for the past two and a half months, it's my longest visit anywhere outside of Thailand for the past sixteen years. Looking around me I see that life for many people is good, it's especially easy for older people who get free medical care, bus passes, pensions etc and who seem to form the majority in many areas. Several times a day I witness ambulances screaming past, on their way to treat some poor unfortunate soul and on two occasions I've witnessed first hand the speed with which police respond to an incident - the cost of living for the less well off older folks is manageable, it's not a luxurious lifestyle but its good and it's well above par, four Pounds a day will feed a pensioner well. And my electricity bill for the past few months has been only fifteen quid, cheaper than Thailand for sure. The big problems of course is the weather and boredom, the former not capable of being managed in any form! But yesterday we took a free bus ride through The Lakes, up to Keswick where the scenery was stunning, there's nothing comparable in Thailand. So is Thailand still better than anywhere else? It depends! For retirees I strongly suggest that the UK is very much a viable option, you'll need to change your lifestyle perhaps and probably buy an inflatable doll but at least the basics of life will be well catered for and you won't worry so much.

Oh yes, and just to add, yesterday at Booths supermarket we found probably the best steak and kidney pie I've ever tasted, absolutely wonderful, try finding this bad boy in Thailand:
image.jpeg.602d003b18997ba01e6fc60bf68a4959.jpeg

4 pounds a day?! Cooking yourself I assume.. Meat and some veggies? Cereal for breakfast?

Be happy

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Naam said:

try finding something yuckish like this in one of the civilised countries of Central Europe. :laugh:

I'm not a great steak and kidney pie fan but my wife had ordered it so I had a taste and was seriously impressed, so much so that we purchased some from the deli.counter and took them home for later. I'm certain that Europeans have similar dishes that don't appeal to everyone but that is much loved by the locals. But there again Europeans can be odd at times, those from Bavaria in particular, I ask you, who else would go to the trouble of ensuring that all the logs in their wood store were exactly the same length and stacked perfectly symmetrically, it smacks of compulsive obsessive disorder to me. :post-4641-1156694572:

5 minutes ago, Bournville said:

4 pounds a day?! Cooking yourself I assume.. Meat and some veggies? Cereal for breakfast?

Be happy

Indeed, that's what older folks do, younger folks could do the same thing but they mostly don't know how and can't be bothered to try.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm certain that Europeans have similar dishes that don't appeal to everyone but that is much loved by the locals.

you are right! there's a dish served in southern Germany which i like very much. but eating it i am neither able look at the plate nor at the spoon. the latter i guide to my mouth closing my eyes.

p.s. when my wife saw me eating that dish the first time she was horrified and exclaimed "you are not sleeping in our bed tonight!"

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Naam said:

you are right! there's a dish served in southern Germany which i like very much. but eating it i am neither able look at the plate nor at the spoon. the latter i guide to my mouth closing my eyes.

p.s. when my wife saw me eating that dish the first time she was horrified and exclaimed "you are not sleeping in our bed tonight!"

Where I am from "jellied eels" are like Thai Pok Pok for a Londoner...disgusting...As a kid I watched the restaurant bloke, at the open window of the place,  pull live eels out of a tank, chop the heads off and cut the rest up into chunks, put this 'orrible jelly on and serve up.....?

1 hour ago, transam said:

We all have different boats to float....?

Agreed 100% & don't get me wrong

We own a home in both places & love both

But in years past we lived in Thailand & visited here once every two years

Now we live here & visit Thailand once a year for 3 months

These days the cooler weather here year round of average 25C works well for us

We are healthier as we can spend more days outside doing what we love

Then visit Thailand when the weather is equally nice there