I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

So do you think Cal is more or less open-minded now than they were in 76?

Thats a good question. In the realm of education and the lecture hall I don’t don’t think much has changed. In the realm of public opinion on campus however, I think they are in dangerous territory.

The prevailing mood seems to be that if you express opinions that are not politically correct, you just get shut down. Universities are always hotbeds, it’s a function of being young. Most of us old farts couldn’t be bothered to join a protest march....just give me my slippers and a cup of cocoa!

But I do worry about this tendency to want to shut down ideas before they can even be expressed. Thats not good for anyone

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 4:31 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I am totally onboard with having a bolt hole.

I’ve said this in many threads over the years. I’m always amazed at how many seem to think that selling up their entire life to go to Thailand, where you are at best a temporary ‘guest’, is a good idea. If not insane, it's reckless at best.

You never know what could happen. The regime du jour changes immigration policy, woman problems, health...the list goes on and on.

All the time I lived in Thailand, I still had a house back in the States, which I knew I could always, and as it happens ultimately did, return to.

How long did you live in Thailand and how long have you been back?

Ginboy

I’ve said this in many threads over the years. I’m always amazed at how many seem to think that selling up their entire life to go to Thailand, where you are at best a temporary ‘guest’, is a good idea. If not insane, it's reckless at best.

that applies to poor people only. :coffee1:

I couldn't have funded my extended "vacation" in Thailand without cashing out real estate there. So I guess I'm poor. People make the best decisions they can based on their circumstances. Sometimes high risk but different people have different tolerance for risk. I never expected to live past 30 so I guess it's all gravy since then.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I’m not sure I’d agree that stupidity only applies to the poor!

I think what he meant was that plenty of guys are stewed such that that can come for a few years, burn through a fat roll and go back without too much financial difficulty.

“People afford what they want.”

11 minutes ago, mogandave said:

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:
I think what he meant was that plenty of guys are stewed such that that can come for a few years, burn through a fat roll and go back without too much financial difficulty.

“People afford what they want.”

Yeah you might be right there, I may have over interpreted what he was saying, having read it again

Edited by GinBoy2

On 9/16/2018 at 10:53 AM, Gecko123 said:

Agree. Successful aging in Thailand requires a greater commitment to your health and safety than you might otherwise make. It's about reducing risk factors: diet, exercise, not smoking, drinking sensibly (or not at all), mental and social stimulation, and traffic safety are the big ones. Life doesn't come with a guarantee.

Quite so.  It doesn't stop the inevitable, but perhaps it's the only real assurance scheme available.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I couldn't have funded my extended "vacation" in Thailand without cashing out real estate there.

Many think that but instead could have rented for a steady income + equity building

Could have taken a credit line on it if they needed more up front etc etc

It is not a matter of rich or poor enough but rather having the smarts to leverage things rather than sell just once.

Many think that but instead could have rented for a steady income + equity building
Could have taken a credit line on it if they needed more up front etc etc

It is not a matter of rich or poor enough but rather having the smarts to leverage things rather than sell just once.

Without knowing an individual case, saying what someone could or could not do is just silly.

Unless someone has significant equity, assuming they can refinance, renovate, suck money out and then rent to get a positive cash flow, without even managing the property is ridiculous.

Was that a run-on sentence?

A fair percentage of people refinance every few years when their property value increases so they never really have any equity.
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, mogandave said:

A fair percentage of people refinance every few years when their property value increases so they never really have any equity.

Ok so now we are talking about stupid people in your example  ?

Yes there is no lack of stupid people who use a home as an ATM to purchase depreciating assets while risking an appreciating asset.

But again...Stupid people is your example.

There is no help/cure for this type

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Naam said:

people who are not poor can afford to establish a home in Thailand and give a flying fàrt pertaining to the potential problems you mentioned. and all that without being stupid or reckless.

summary: for those mentioned above there's no need to keep a home somewhere "in case" and act "chicken little" as a zillion homes are available for sale or rent in various countries.

Maybe, you might know.  If I had put 20,000 baht into a Thai bank savings account in 1968 how much would I have today?  See, I know a few people who have been here since 1968 and have done well.  Why would anyone say it was a problem if the past 70 years have been OK?

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

Ok so now we are talking about stupid people in your example  [emoji23]

Yes there is no lack of stupid people who use a home as an ATM to purchase depreciating assets while risking an appreciating asset.
But again...Stupid people is your example.

There is no help/cure for this type

You are skirting the bulk of my post and focusing on the last sentence.

They (apparently) were’t that stupid when they ended upside down in their home and after spending all their equity, having taxpayers bail them out.

In any event, there are plenty of people that have paid for twenty years on a thirty year loan that have never refinance that could not pull money out and still get a positive cash flow without directly supervising the rental.

• Like 1

Stupid People is a bit harsh.You get influenced at home.My Family were ruled by Money, they couldn't get enough. Yet my friends Family were more balanced, happy, easy going.They old chums are now rather poor having blown most they inherited and live alone, divorced in rented dumps here and there.We just cant all have same values.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Maybe, you might know.  If I had put 20,000 baht into a Thai bank savings account in 1968 how much would I have today?  See, I know a few people who have been here since 1968 and have done well.  Why would anyone say it was a problem if the past 70 years have been OK?

Chicken-Little.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

In any event, there are plenty of people that have paid for twenty years on a thirty year loan that have never refinance that could not pull money out and still get a positive cash flow without directly supervising the rental.

We will leave the political ninja loan stuff out of this basic discussion ?

But this last sentence of yours...again..stupid people

It is not rocket science & it is quite easy to outpace the mortgage in equity...At least for myself & all those i know

The last 40 years have been the same. Even during the transfer of wealth days you mentioned...aka: bail out

Anyway I will agree with you such ignorant folks exist..which was the point of my original reply to JT

Lastly you make supervising a rental sound very difficult/expensive..It is not & in fact can be paid for in depreciation write offs

Anyway...way off topic now

I stand by my original post & have decades of first hand experience doing just that as do most real property owners I know.

Edited by meechai

14 minutes ago, meechai said:

We will leave the political ninja loan stuff out of this basic discussion ?

But this last sentence of yours...again..stupid people

It is not rocket science & it is quite easy to outpace the mortgage in equity...At least for myself & all those i know

The last 40 years have been the same. Even during the transfer of wealth days you mentioned...aka: bail out

Anyway I will agree with you such ignorant folks exist..which was the point of my original reply to JT

Lastly you make supervising a rental sound very difficult/expensive..It is not & in fact can be paid for in depreciation write offs

Anyway...way off topic now

I stand by my original post & have decades of first hand experience doing just that as do most real property owners I know.

I had complicating factors that influenced my decision.

I didn't want to get a second mortgage even if I could get one.

The building I was in was in a high risk earthquake zone and poorly constructed. 

It was also in a high tax U.S. state I wanted to divorce myself from.

I did casually look at the rental income at the time and it just wasn't that attractive compared to an instant massive profit.

Keeping it simple was also a factor. Having the deal with a rental on the other side of the world even with a management company taking a healthy cut seemed to have big potential headaches. 

With that I was well flush to easily buy nice housing in Thailand for cash for a fraction of it. 

Yes, it did turn out the profit would have been dramatically bigger if I had held it. That happens sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, purely about market timing. 

Taking that cash allowed me to keep a large (for me) amount of money invested in the stock market which happily did very well as well.

I haven't really compared the stock appreciation vs. what I would have made holding to the real estate. If I had to guess the real estate would have been better, but it seems perverse to bother at this point. I made my decision at the time and it worked out well enough for me. You can't undo what you already did.

Call me "stupid" if you want. I don't think I'm stupid but whether some strangers on the internet think I am isn't going to keep me up at night. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Well that proves it, everyone that sells their home is a fool.

That's why there is a market.

Some people decide it's the right time to sell and some people decide it's the right time to buy.

Nobody is psychic enough to know at those times whether those were the "smartest" decisions for either side. 

Edited by Jingthing

That's why there is a market.
Some people decide it's the right time to sell and some people decide it's the right time to buy.
Nobody is psychic enough to know at those times whether those were the "smartest" decisions for either side. 

And assuming one of the stupid people that sells their home doesn’t just blow the money, there are plenty of investments that require virtually no management, that are liquid and that provide returns as good as they would have gotten sitting on their property.

Without using (or owning) a management company, how does one live in Thailand and manage their rentals in the US?
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, mogandave said:

And assuming one of the stupid people that sells their home doesn’t just blow the money, there are plenty of investments that require virtually no management, that are liquid and that provide returns as good as they would have gotten sitting on their property.

Without using (or owning) a management company, how does one live in Thailand and manage their rentals in the US?

Well, I wouldn't even consider doing such a thing without using a management company and of course they take a big cut and they aren't guaranteed problem free either.  

Well, I wouldn't even consider doing such a thing without using a management company and of course they take a big cut and they aren't guaranteed problem free either.  

And you only benefit from deductions like mortgages and management fees if you have enough income to use them, which a lot of retired people do not.
  • Thanks 1