I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

It is definitely the best insurance deal to be had if you can get it. There is no limit on coverage amount and it covers both in and outpatient. The only limitation is that you can only use it at the hospital you register under the scheme at (or other hospital they refer you to). Where people have difficulties is usually do to being registered at a really poor quality hospital. Most private hospitals decline to join the scheme. Selection of hospital is very important and warrants some investigation. It is possible to change selection at certain times of the year.

Once covered by Soc Sec for I think 13 months you can continue it for life making the oayments on your own.

For someone settling here who can't afford private insurance it would be worth trying to work for the first year just to have this.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What do you look at to select the hospital?

Is there a ranking system?

I think the best ones are all booked up.

On 9/22/2018 at 7:44 AM, HAKAPALITA said:

Normally the Plug gets pulled for them. Off they go back to Handout Land where they came from.Thai Lady better off, House and Pikup n Brit Baldy free at last.Or you get the ones who try to kid you they are making the call to leave, when their skint in reality.

I'm skint, which is why I'm here and not in London.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2018 at 8:34 AM, KhunFred said:

The comments about living "quite well" on $2000 a month in Canada, have GOT to be a windup. Even in a low-cost part of the United States, such as Alabama, you would not be living well on that amount. The Canadian healthcare system would certainly be an enticement to stay, but there's more to life than hospitals.

I’ve said this before, but in the context of this thread...a lot depends on how you left.

I can’t comment on Canada, but there are places in the US where ‘if’ you already owned a home, so took out rent or mortgage, sure you could live quite comfortably on $2K/month.

On that income you qualify for enough premium tax credits to wipe out your health insurance premiums, after that, it’s all pretty much awash.

And before anyone asks, my comments about tax credits is from personal experience. When we first came back we were living on savings, so little income.

Now I’m sponging off my wife's Federal benefits LOL

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2018 at 7:10 AM, Jingthing said:

That's why there is a market.

Some people decide it's the right time to sell and some people decide it's the right time to buy.

Nobody is psychic enough to know at those times whether those were the "smartest" decisions for either side. 

There are no guarantees, but some judgment calls work out better than others. I tend to think more now that the decision to pull the plug on Thailand is less to do with managing one's assets or even the financial costs involved which as we have seen is a moveable feast... but rather an accumulation of factors over a period of time (or maybe even one bad incident out of the blue....), such that one morning one wakes up and says 'I've had enough'. Yes, this may have been the original trigger in the opposite direction, but things can change and no need to line up on one side or another for ever and ever. Me? Not sure if I can live without the lunchtime buffet at the Hilton. Such is the quality of my lifetime decisions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

There are no guarantees, but some judgment calls work out better than others. I tend to think more now that the decision to pull the plug on Thailand is less to do with managing one's assets or even the financial costs involved which as we have seen is a moveable feast... but rather an accumulation of factors over a period of time (or maybe even one bad incident out of the blue....), such that one morning one wakes up and says 'I've had enough'. Yes, this may have been the original trigger in the opposite direction, but things can change and no need to line up on one side or another for ever and ever. Me? Not sure if I can live without the lunchtime buffet at the Hilton. Such is the quality of my lifetime decisions.

I hear ya on that.

It was for me, and my wife for matter that over a few years just the multiple irritations just built up. 

It’s very rarely a single factor that drives people to get outta Dodge.

I just got tired of the place, my wife really wanted to be close to our son who lives in the US. Corruption, general stupidity, coup upon coup, which got her to the point of screaming at the TV during the Prayut Entertainment every Friday....that alone was enough to make me want to leave

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I’ve said this before, but in the context of this thread...a lot depends on how you left.

I can’t comment on Canada, but there are places in the US where ‘if’ you already owned a home, so took out rent or mortgage, sure you could live quite comfortably on $2K/month.

On that income you qualify for enough premium tax credits to wipe out your health insurance premiums, after that, it’s all pretty much awash.

And before anyone asks, my comments about tax credits is from personal experience. When we first came back we were living on savings, so little income.

Now I’m sponging off my wife's Federal benefits LOL

That's just silly.  If I owned a bank I could live in Monaco quite well.  Same as, "if you owned a home in the USA you could live quite well. 

Where does that make any sense?  Of course if you owned a home or bank or a street in Downtown Dallas. 

I know a lady who does well in Detroit, Martha Firestone Ford.  She owns the Lions.  If you own a NFL football team you could live quite well in Michigan. 

• Haha 2

What do you look at to select the hospital?

Is there a ranking system?

I think the best ones are all booked up.
Generally the best bet will be the largest government hospital on the list. Preferrably a tertiary level one.

With the exception of a few non-profits most pruvate hospitals that accept SS are best avoided.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, lumply said:

It's great to hear that you do not have any (discernable) health issues at the age of 60+. In fact just like me at the same age but during an aeromedical license exam I was diagnosed with hypertansion. Labelled the silent killer if not treated sooner than later; all well now, however with familial history of stroke it could have been another story. Genuinly, have a long healthy life but be aware of high BP

Yes I do watch the BP & have a home machine to check. I also checked for decades as I was a triathlete so it hinted of a incomplete recovery then I would go easier that day.

I still ride about 5-600 hilly miles a month & swim but no longer run as it is just too hard on the joints ????

I hope if you were diagnosed with hypertension/high BP you took it as a sign to change certain things or try new things & not take the ever popular meds they dish out

Those things are scary ????

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Yes -- I just spent 2 weeks in USA/Florida and couldn't wait to get back to the quietude of Isaan. BTW if anyone gets made at what goes on the television here or there why not just not turn it on?

You have a point & one I have taken these last two years but back in the US

TV in Thailand never bothered me & I liked Al Jazeera for general news

But here in the US? We have cable Internet but no TV

Never watch it...It is just a left/right herding of the sheeple

We have a ROKU stick watch Netflix, AMC, a few others when we want a movie

But not having TV or the News fake or otherwise is the way to a happy life here IMHO ????

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

That's just silly.  If I owned a bank I could live in Monaco quite well.  Same as, "if you owned a home in the USA you could live quite well. 

Where does that make any sense?  Of course if you owned a home or bank or a street in Downtown Dallas. 

I know a lady who does well in Detroit, Martha Firestone Ford.  She owns the Lions.  If you own a NFL football team you could live quite well in Michigan. 

MY property taxes are around $700 a month . You never truly own your home outright .

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

MY property taxes are around $700 a month . You never truly own your home outright .

If those are USD, you have helluva house and live in a high tax, probably on the East Coast according to this.

I pay $2400 a year, so bang in the middle of the pack.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-property-taxes/11585/

2 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

I think what he’s saying is once you get a fixed income (SS) you get a 50% reduction in property tax . My property tax is so high because there is no state income tax , (but the state taxes on just about everything else)

What I am saying is if you live in Florida, USA, you get a Homestead Exemption on property tax for your primary residence only.

Has nothing to with salary, social security or anything else.

I grew up there and in the '50's and it was great, I went back last year and it was seriously dire, decayed doesn't even begin to describe it.
I lived there in the 80s it was a lovely place the old town was great for weekends with the lads now it's gone downhill like Scarborough.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Some guys want to turn it into a binary do or die decision, but not really necessary. The ones who have burned their boats, don't have anything to go back for or cannot afford to return, that's OK with me. The rest of us are bouncing around,back and forth and some go back and some don't and some are thinking about it a little bit more. I guess I won't fully pull the plug until the health situation calls it a day.

I know it’s not possible in all situations but if I was an old timer and I needed medical treatment surely it would be cheaper and wiser to just jump on a plane home ? You will get much better treatment and will not bankrupt you .

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

I know it’s not possible in all situations but if I was an old timer and I needed medical treatment surely it would be cheaper and wiser to just jump on a plane home ? You will get much better treatment and will not bankrupt you .

unless you have a proper (non-Thai) health insurance.

Well yes, unless you are banged up in a hospital with tubes hanging out of you. Its a gamble of anticipation.

• Like 1

So there I was and the doctor told me he could treat me in a 4 hour window after that it would do no good.  So I have a heart or stroke problem and the hospital has a 4/2 hour time window to start treatment.  I'm never more than 20 minutes away from a hospital for that reason.  I send my bills to my insurer after the fact for some things and somethings the Thai hospital direct bills.   

Whist I do not disagree with your point there are some things that need to be taken into consideration..

1.Are you fit to fly?

2.Do you have any social supports in your homeland or have you burnt all your bridges?

3.Do you have a residential address there?

3.Is your paperwork ie:Medicare,drivers license,passport,social security card etc up to date?

4.Do you owe anyone anything?

Whilst in Australia treatment is free (generally speaking) you do pay reduced rates for pharmaceuticals and usually an up front fee for consultants..etc.

So it can,in the short term,be quite an expensive business-as all relocations tend to be-and thus requiring some sort of savings before you go.It is certainly best to keep a nest egg in hand and not blow it all in the land of smiles.

I did it 12 months ago and whilst the Australian gov't was very supportive (no complaints there) it was still quite a stressful experience.

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Some guys want to turn it into a binary do or die decision, but not really necessary. The ones who have burned their boats, don't have anything to go back for or cannot afford to return, that's OK with me. The rest of us are bouncing around,back and forth and some go back and some don't and some are thinking about it a little bit more. I guess I won't fully pull the plug until the health situation calls it a day.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It’s mainly the ones who burnt their boats back and and just can’t afford to leave that get the most ‘animated’ about these topics.

We do both, Thailand in the winter, US in the summer.

On the topic of health care. That in my mind is the real wild card of living full time in Thailand. 

The Govt hospitals are hugely variable, a lot especially outside of major cities are staffed by by little more than quacks.

Private insurance gets somewhat crazy over 60 and they start excluding all sorts of stuff. A couple of months travel insurance tends to give you much better affordable coverage 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naam said:

unless you have a proper (non-Thai) health insurance.

That would always be helpful . Am I right in thinking that the American Medicare insurance would continue if you decide to upsticks and move to Thailand ? I know my general health plan here covers me when I go to Thailand just the same as it would do in America .

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Whist I do not disagree with your point there are some things that need to be taken into consideration..

1.Are you fit to fly?

2.Do you have any social supports in your homeland or have you burnt all your bridges?

3.Do you have a residential address there?

3.Is your paperwork ie:Medicare,drivers license,passport,social security card etc up to date?

4.Do you owe anyone anything?

Whilst in Australia treatment is free (generally speaking) you do pay reduced rates for pharmaceuticals and usually an up front fee for consultants..etc.

So it can,in the short term,be quite an expensive business-as all relocations tend to be-and thus requiring some sort of savings before you go.It is certainly best to keep a nest egg in hand and not blow it all in the land of smiles.

I did it 12 months ago and whilst the Australian gov't was very supportive (no complaints there) it was still quite a stressful experience.

True , everything has to be taken into acount .its just another option 

• Like 1

That would always be helpful . Am I right in thinking that the American Medicare insurance would continue if you decide to upsticks and move to Thailand ? I know my general health plan here covers me when I go to Thailand just the same as it would do in America .

i can't comment on Medicare as i'm a German having German private health insurance (worldwide coverage without restrictions). 

Does anyone out there know what the prospects are these days for female companionship in the uk for men over 50?

Realistically, your target sector of women would need to be in the 80 years + sector, perhaps blind ????

• Haha 1