I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Good idea except you can't get back.  Ever had a heart attack or serious immediate illness in Thailand? 

Chances 1 in 100 you make it back.  Sell the place and put the money in a bank to fund treatment is the only rational thing to do. 

Exactly. How much is the retail cost for emergency repatriation by airplane to the USA? I'm sure that costs a fortune just for the ride. 

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Good idea except you can't get back.  Ever had a heart attack or serious immediate illness in Thailand?

yes, temporary heart failure october 3, 2015 01.00 night - pacemaker cum defibrillator implanted october 4, cost 1.2 mm Baht.

Edited by Naam
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Naam said:

yes, temporary heart failure october 3, 2015 01.00 night - pacemaker cum defibrillator implanted october 4, cost 1.2 mm Baht.

Me too.  Got to the hospital a little before and they were able to clean out the blockage cost half a million baht.  Now I have direct bill to my insurer in the West so it will be less.  Live and learn. 

14 hours ago, garyk said:

That just happened to me. I was diagnosed with a life threatening disease. I had it checked out here in Thailand and it would of cost me about 12,000 dollars to get treatment. I keep a place in America and went home to get treatment. I asked the doctor there how much it would of cost without insurance in America, 100,000K up. Didn't cost me anything but it was a wake up call for me. It is cheaper for me to keep my place in America than to buy 3rd party insurance here.

But, if I sold my home in America I could invest, and fund just about any stay in a Thai hospital (government hospital). Private hospitals here are just as expensive as the States for what I have seen. Kind of a catch 22.

So, after years of keeping my place in the states I will definitely hang on to it. I didn't realize how truly important it was to NOT break ties with your home country.  Research paid off for me before I retired.

Must be a small house payment to make that work.

Paying for two living locations at once is not an option for me. It's either one or the other.

i suppose renting the place out would work, but that gets into a grey area whether I'm residing there or not.

Edited by Dick Crank

On 9/5/2018 at 4:18 PM, nickmondo said:

10 million baht for a modest condo?  I dont think one knows what one is talking about.!

Dont get me started on the rest of your drivel

Why would you want to buy a condo in Thailand for 10,000,000 bht.  There are 20,000 unsold new condos in Cha-am and Hue Hin some 3/4 years old, rows and rows.  Second hand ones are almost impossible to sell.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

Paying for two living locations at once is not an option for me. It's either one or the other.

Those who do not have the wherewithal option of maintaining two places and in addition would financially have greater difficulty maintaining themselves back in their home countries , they are the ones least likely to consider pulling the plug on Thailand.

On 9/6/2018 at 11:59 AM, simoh1490 said:

I used to like Yorkies Cumberland sausages because they reminded me of "home", then I came home and had proper Cumberland sausages and I wondered whatever was I thinking of by eating Yorkies. Ditto with cheese, mainland cheddar was the best I could find a ta reasonable price, now in the UK I buy a huge block of extra mature for next to nothing and there's no comparison - and so on and so on. And whilst having a rant on sausages....has anyone ever seen a sausage like Sloanes in the UK, I never have and I've looked hard, jesus.

The point being that we seem to want to try and get our hands on western substitutes that often don't even come close, fish and chips in Thailand is a perfect example, mostly crap food compared to the real deal. We do that and we tell ourselves we're living a western lifestyle whereas in reality we're living a lifestyle that is a hybrid, eating food that probably wouldn't even sell in the UK - I think it's called existing and being out of touch. Personally, if that were me, I'd just dump the whole concept and I'd go native (diet) rather than try to fool myself.

Fish and chips, cook them yourself.  You'll make a mess a couple of times then all will be OK.  Buy a fish from the market, fillet it, ( 2/3 servings) get some ready made batter at any of the 10,000 7/11 stores or similar.  A litre of any oil in a pot on the gas stove and bring quite hot, when nearly smoking put battered fish in (not sloppy batter).  Wait 1 min and put you chips in (frozen from Makro, Big C or Tesco).  Cook fish only about 4 mins, take out of oil and drain, leave chips in till crispy a bit. Bobs you Uncle.  Bt15 for chips Bt50 for fish  =Bt65 for fish and chips.  Similar for chicken and chips or pork in batter.  In Thailand you'll never again ask for fish and chips at a restaurant...ever

Edited by David Walden

On 9/11/2018 at 2:34 PM, suzannegoh said:

The biggest complaint that most Aussies that I know have is that they need to go back to Australia regularly in order to continue to be eligible to collect their disability benefits.  While that does sound unfortunate, the strange thing is that I've never met an Australian in Thailand who was incapacitated by anything other than alcohol.

Disability support Pension and the Australian Aged Pension are 2 different things...very much so.  Too complicated to go into detail here.

• Like 1

that depends on your limit.

No, it depends on your available credit, yes?

The limit means nothing if the card(s) are maxed out.

I’ve never had any trouble getting treatment with a credit card at hospitals, and I’ve had some chunky bills.

Bumrungrad and Bangkok Hospital both often offer 5-10% discounts with Citibank Visa...

They never asked me for a credit card (I was a bit out of it).  They asked my wife and she guaranteed the treatment.  I remember smiling through my fogged brain.

My wife has the same cards I have.

I have had nothing but trouble trying to get direct bill. I finally gave up and just submit the bills for reimbursement, they have payed everything submitted.

12 hours ago, Naam said:

Was that at a private hospital or government hospital?

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

No, it depends on your available credit, yes?

The limit means nothing if the card(s) are maxed out.

I’ve never had any trouble getting treatment with a credit card at hospitals, and I’ve had some chunky bills.

Bumrungrad and Bangkok Hospital both often offer 5-10% discounts with Citibank Visa...

the available credit is your limit.

2 hours ago, garyk said:

Was that at a private hospital or government hospital?

private hospital. a government hospital wouldn't have been much cheaper as the lion share of the cost is the (imported) pacemaker. among the latter you can of course select a Volkswagen or a BMW.

• Like 1

Check out Vietnam! Buy a long VISA on arrival (hey, Thailand; wake up)

Find a town you like.

Check out the posts on www.expat.com

Sending money back home has been an issue for me, TBH. But you may find a work-around to this issue with time.

23 minutes ago, WonnabeBiker said:

Check out Vietnam! Buy a long VISA on arrival (hey, Thailand; wake up)

Find a town you like.

Check out the posts on www.expat.com

Sending money back home has been an issue for me, TBH. But you may find a work-around to this issue with time.

Did you find a work around for quality healthcare? 

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

My wife has the same cards I have.

I have had nothing but trouble trying to get direct bill. I finally gave up and just submit the bills for reimbursement, they have payed everything submitted.

I have done a number of emails and visits to set up direct bill before there is an emergency. Will let you know if it works.  Hoping don't have to test my plan. 

I have done a number of emails and visits to set up direct bill before there is an emergency. Will let you know if it works.  Hoping don't have to test my plan. 

I’ll hope along with you.

It seemed like the times I tried it, the hospital always said okay, but then the insurance never came through, and I ended up paying and getting reimbursed.

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

I’m sure you’re right, but you should tell the banks, as they all seem to list the limit and the available credit separately.

Yes they do, because they’re not the same thing. Your credit limit is the maximum amount you can borrow (your maximum balance) and the available credit is how much of that amount you currently have available to use (as I’m sure you already know ???? ).

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Did you find a work around for quality healthcare? 

There always seems to be a trade off with an easier visa. I think they make the requirements easier as less people show up. Not a coincidence!

can work out for awhile while your young and healthy, but like any other risk, over time, the odds catch up with you.

On 10/6/2018 at 10:09 PM, David Walden said:

I have a friend in Australia who rents a house in Perth (near Fremantle) this house has a granny flat attached out back which is available to sub-rent incl power for about $360p/f. Small living room, nice bedroom, own toilet and shower. A place like this would leave you with about $680 P/F change from your pension to spend as you wish. There are many places on the fringes of Perth (Mandurah, etc cheaper).  As an Aged Pensioner living in Aus with rent assistance you will receive about $1045 per fortnight (tax free).  Free public transport off peak, half price at peak times.  You will be able to get Gov discount card for many things.  You will be able to get free medical treatment under Medicare, almost free medicine, almost free dental care, pay nothing for a drivers licence, get a cheap old car if you like for $2/3/4,000 and a discount on car registration. ( recently sold a Ford Falcon 13 y/o in mint condition with only 125,000km on the clock for $3000 paid $42,000 new, it was still like new). If you are officially living in a regional country town you will get almost $600 of free fuel per year to compensate you for not getting free transport if you are not a city dweller, you use it just like a credit card.  I live 4 month in Thailand and then 2 months back in Aus ( I still get the fuel card as I live in the country when home).  This arrangement preserves all my entitlements under the Australian aged pension system.   The example I have given above at present is very doable in many locations in Australia.  Not in down town inner city locations like in Sydney, Melbourne etc but out in the suburbs can be OK. Or a larger country town.  If you have a Thai friend (not a wife, not a partner but maybe a carer) you should be able to support her with love alone on a single persons Australian Aged Pension.  There will be some hurdles to get over but you seem to be, from your first post to be a single Australian Aged Pensioner living in Thailand.

You say you already have an Australian Aged Pension and you are single.  Well Australia can be boring for single aged pensioners, That why I make regular trips to Thailand....REMEMBER THERE IS ALWAYS AN OPTION.

Hi David 

Lots of Changes in Thailand for OAP and others looking to stay long term, It seems many of the Quasi Options have been closed with the appointment of the new Immigration Chief.

In my case the Family have stepped in to Help depending if I can renew my Extension, I have 3 weeks to go before i will apply first step Trip to Embassy/ Consulate in Bangkok for statement of Income Stat Declaration Then next day to Marraput Immigration to see if the will accept and approve my application (A) If approved with Financial help from my Family I will Stay at least for a while.  (B)  if rejected will Pack my Bags and take your advice to heart Many thanks for Constructive info 

Probably a typical example of someone pulling the plug is a guy who recently returned to the Midlands in the UK after living in Thailand for many years and has no intention of returning. Reason for leaving? He decided that the continual hot, humid weather was just too unpleasant for him as he was getting older and decided to 'ahem, throw in the towel. There were other accumulating reasons of course, but it was the heat that finally tipped the decision.

Edited by SheungWan

Hi This Is Baan Phe Dezza

A few Folks have posted asking for update on my Issues

To those and others who have shown Empathy Thank you.

To those who went on Ranting about Living in Canada, London and other far flung Locations WOW also to those who said I could be a Drunkard, Molester, wasteful I have Nought to say.

Ok Update 

3 weeks Left to Crunch day due to family Financial help my situation has improved, Step one go to Embassy Bangkok to make statuary declaration about Monthly Income, then of to Marraput Immigration to apply for a one year extension. If approved I will stay here. if rejected I have temporary plans in Place Once again I thank you for your input  Ban Phea Dezza   

• Like 2