I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

Is that they way that you lived in the West too?  It's much easier to live on $1000 per month if you've never lived on $5000.
What use is that statement. Two things i don't understand, one when people want to live a relatively expensive farang lifestyle why don't they just stay in the west and two why farang women would choose to live in Thailand

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
11 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:
Is that they way that you lived in the West too?  It's much easier to live on $1000 per month if you've never lived on $5000.

What use is that statement. Two things i don't understand, one when people want to live a relatively expensive farang lifestyle why don't they just stay in the west and two why farang women would choose to live in Thailand

Because it is none of your business....?

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

There used t be a member 'canarysun' if my memory is correct who had lived in Thailand for years on his income of 12,000 baht a month.

I saw various "farangs" living on the bare minimum.It was not a pretty sight.

No health insurance?Relying on a single person to help you when you are in dire need due to physical ailments all to common with the elderly?

Well..that is a slender thread and I did not risk my life on it.

Best of luck to the OP but most of the posts here are from fantasy land.

Once again,best of luck to the OP.

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:
4 minutes ago, transam said:
Because it is none of your business....emoji849.png

You could say that about every post, pointless you saying that

I was replying to your..."I don't understand"....So I told you to perhaps enlighten your dilemma...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Well noted.

How would you rate their standard of living, existing / getting by / comfortable etc

I’m genuinely interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well I do get bye because I do not have a wife that wants to look hi-so draped in gold at Tesco's for one...

As for standard of living, well l think that is up to the individual...?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

How about NZ ? How do the costs of living compare?

Comparison between what?

The price in NZ is comparable or even higher than OZ.

The OP is,I believe,looking for advice on other Asian countries (which may-or may not) be cheaper per the Aussie dollar- than what Thailand is.

Whether he requires advice from people who live on three grains of rice and a fart is a different matter entirely.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Everyone has different styles & standards.Doesnt make them right wrong or recommended.

You live how you can and cut your clothe according to your means.Of course some would like to live better and some would have difficulty living with less. There is no "one fits all".

I agree, completely!

But I also think these things exist in a range, a lower end of what is reasonable and a higher end of what is reasonable, I'll propose a straw man and say 35k and 65k fit the bill, on average. The trick is to know when you're operating outside of that range of reasonableness and I think we've read of at least one case in this thread where posters are doing that, that's the time to be concerned.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Thanks 1

It's a big squeeze being felt by most ordinary people wherever you are.  

If you are a Brit, then Flip may be better because I think your pension will be uprated yearly.

Your currency may be low, nonetheless, it could drop further.

To be covered health wise, around 7000 baht per month would need to be set aside for health insurance.  Some do, some don't.  If you don't have any chronic health issue you may be able to wing it for a while; there will come a day, however.

A second income source would be useful.  Failing that, it would be sensible to return home, and maybe you can come out here for a couple of months every year.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 8:24 AM, BritManToo said:

I know a couple of Thai families living quite well on 10k/month (and paying rent and uni fees for their kids out of that).

As for health care, some of us aren't constantly ill, my last visit to a doctor was 4 years back for a few stitches after a crash (about 1,000bht). I live well on 20k/month + house loan repayments.

I've not had any health insurance since I left the UK.

it's a difficult call. 

You have to assess your own state of health and fitness: if you are basically fit as in no chronic disease now, or on the horizon, then the best health insurance could be a gym membership, a decision to quit booze, and a vape pen instead of a packet of tabs.

To some extent, a tight-rope is being walked in that just one slip is required.  Had that accident been more serious then you would have been in financial trouble.  The worst case scenario may have seen you out of pocket to the tune of a million baht or more, and had you gone home assisted, questions may have been asked whether you were eligible for NHS treatment.  

Statements to the effect of I don't get sick are worthy of challenge.

There's no right or wrong decision.  Most people though do this blindly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Two things i don't understand, one when people want to live a relatively expensive farang lifestyle why don't they just stay in the west and two why farang women would choose to live in Thailand

They probably don't like the constant cold and rain (same as me).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

I used to like Yorkies Cumberland sausages because they reminded me of "home", then I came home and had proper Cumberland sausages and I wondered whatever was I thinking of by eating Yorkies. Ditto with cheese, mainland cheddar was the best I could find a ta reasonable price, now in the UK I buy a huge block of extra mature for next to nothing and there's no comparison - and so on and so on. And whilst having a rant on sausages....has anyone ever seen a sausage like Sloanes in the UK, I never have and I've looked hard, jesus.

The point being that we seem to want to try and get our hands on western substitutes that often don't even come close, fish and chips in Thailand is a perfect example, mostly crap food compared to the real deal. We do that and we tell ourselves we're living a western lifestyle whereas in reality we're living a lifestyle that is a hybrid, eating food that probably wouldn't even sell in the UK - I think it's called existing and being out of touch. Personally, if that were me, I'd just dump the whole concept and I'd go native (diet) rather than try to fool myself.

had some tex-mex (mexican) at a touristy place in siem reap cambodia

it was so bad i couldnt believe it

gave new meaning to the term "i got runs at the border"

7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Less rules and regs, less chance of being stabbed or acid thrown in your face are bonuses.

The general "freedom" here leads to less stress. 

There is no way I could have the home and lifestyle I have here, back there, they are polar opposites.

The country I knew is long gone and is barely recognisable now. Its that thought that I suspect many will relate to and cause a reality check when considering returning to the home country. Its a different place now.

Let's see.

Decent health care-usually without costs.

Social support.

Taxi vouchers if you are unable to drive a car.

Occupational and physio support as after care.

Non reliance on one person (Thai wife or girlfriend) if you are in dire need.

Subsidized medications.

Free support for domestic duties.

No worries about changed immigration laws..

No wuckin furries if the dollar drops...

A beautiful clean environment..

no need to tell porkies on the internet..

Absolutely no chance of meeting shaven headed,tattooed floggers of all things SE Asia..

DSCN0559.JPG

DSCN0634.JPG

DSCN0664.JPG

5 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Let's see.

Decent health care-usually without costs.

Social support.

Taxi vouchers if you are unable to drive a car.

Occupational and physio support as after care.

Non reliance on one person (Thai wife or girlfriend) if you are in dire need.

Subsidized medications.

Free support for domestic duties.

No worries about changed immigration laws..

No wuckin furries if the dollar drops...

A beautiful clean environment..

no need to tell porkies on the internet..

Absolutely no chance of meeting shaven headed,tattooed floggers of all things SE Asia..

DSCN0559.JPG

DSCN0634.JPG

DSCN0664.JPG

So, totally reliant on the state and "freebies"  ? No thanks.

As for your last paragraph, I never have and dont expect to anytime soon. That depends on your location.?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Housing cost is a big issue too- UK and Thailand are poles apart on that score. 

Generally, you get more bang for your buck out here!  Though not as before.

Depends where you live in the UK. I bought a 3-bedroom house for £50k 5 or 6 years ago (granted it hadn't been decorated since the 70's, and I subsequently spent 15k or so on it). The rent I get from that is less than half of what my rent is here for a condo.

Just now, CharlieH said:

So, totally reliant on the state and "freebies"  ? No thanks.

As for your last paragraph, I never have and dont expect to anytime soon. That depends on your location.?

Well-if this is a level playing field....

That is what I contributed my taxes for.

I don't have to worry about whether 40,000 baht does or does not guarantee my exit (involuntarily) from the Kingdom.

Neither do I have to worry about "boys in brown" or "boys in green": for that matter.

Enjoy your stay-on sufference.

Oh ..burning season..

DSCN0580.JPG

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I don't have to worry about whether 40,000 baht does or does not guarantee my exit (involuntarily) from the Kingdom.

Neither do I have to worry about "boys in brown" or "boys in green": for that matter.

Oh ..burning season..

DSCN0580.JPG

You're on a boat....?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Oh ..burning season..

DSCN0580.JPG

Thankfully neither do i and I dont know where you got the impression that I did.