Nightmare at Big C - Warning: It Is Disgusting

exppenang

9 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Love it when a shop assistant puts latex gloves on to handle whatever food, and keeps them on to take your money.

Yea ,,, they put a new pair of Gloves on to go to the Toilet ,,,,,, they don't wash their hands ,,,, just getting the Meat ready for you.  ?

This happens all the time

The place to witness it is the Macro meat counter, although its not as bad now as it used to be before the store supplied plastic bags to use as gloves

Its a truly disgusting sight to see so many people mauling such large quantities of meat, and almost fighting over the best pieces.

And yes - they are Thais

10 hours ago, Valentine said:

That kind of thing happens in the bakery section too, not only at Big C

I never buy cooked chicken at the market, people are always picking them up and putting them back down again, you don't know where their hands have been, maybe even scratching their bahookies.

I was once sat in a Tesco food court, Was having a cold drink.

There was a western man sitting at the next table eating some thai food.

I watched him, having consumed his food, take a toothpick from an open container, pick his teeth, then, I kid you not, put the used toothpick back with the others, then leave.

I told a staff member why I was throwing away the container full of toothpicks, she understood what I was saying in broken Thai I think. 

9 hours ago, fakename said:

Thais have a habit of touching any food, even when we are eating with friends, especially the women, like to pick through the pieces of fried meat, until they find the right one! I tell my lady to stop that, but she never learns. Yes, if you go to the market and watch the food counters, especially the meat, you will see everyone PICKING, and they are not even Chinese!! Please, give the Chinese a break!

OK, point taken, I will give the Chinese a break if they stop traveling in taxis, stay away from the kerbside, and don't go to the all you can eat buffets.?

11 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Chinese guy at my condo stripped to his underwear and went swimming without taking a shower. He spit in the pool a few times. I haven't punched anyone in the face in 15 years, but I really wanted to hit him.

Then why didn't you?

Is the shop visitor the problem or the shop manager?

I saw it in Tops that the stuff take chicken out of the plastic wrapped package to "present" it on ice where the customers walk. Everybody can sneeze and touch and whatever.

A decent manager wouldn't allow any of that and he would make sure it does not happen.

I saw another disturbing thing in Villa market. The staff took meat out of the cold storage and put it on a table without any cooling.

And in the evening they put those packages back into the shelf.

So anyone who picks up something from the cooled shelf does not know if the product was maybe not cooled in the last couple of days.

I don't buy anything unpacked or supposedly cooled in those shops anymore.

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

OP you say the man was Chinese, how do you know that?

Maybe you chatted with him in MANDARIN, or did he say look at me i am Chinese?

There's always one... Its pretty obvious he meant someone of Thai-Chinese ancestry.... 

I'm imagining an older Thai-Chinese chappy, singlet, sarong and record breaking hair coming out of a mole on his chin. 

But really, whats the big deal? there's no need to get pedantic.... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

I won't buy uncovered meat or bakery in Big C. I've seen too many flies on it. Bakery items are not a problem; I'm doing low carbs at the moment and losing weight. With pork I've found a CP Pork shop near the local market that is clean, well maintained and more importantly the meat is refrigerated correctly and covered.

For anyone wanting unhandled Betagro chicken or pork, there's a new store on the corner of Chaiyapruek & Sukhumvit Roads in Jomtien. They have it fresh and frozen. Chicken leg quarters sell for 70 baht/kg, which is amazing value for Betagro chicken.  

32 minutes ago, imaderbyfan said:

I was once sat in a Tesco food court, Was having a cold drink.

There was a western man sitting at the next table eating some thai food.

I watched him, having consumed his food, take a toothpick from an open container, pick his teeth, then, I kid you not, put the used toothpick back with the others, then leave.

I told a staff member why I was throwing away the container full of toothpicks, she understood what I was saying in broken Thai I think. 

I think its time for a 'puke' emoji to add to the  'Like, Thanks, Haha, Confused, Sad' options... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Become a vegetarian, then it won't bother you at all.

I think it will. I have seen people in Thai supermarkets "feeling" fruit and vegetables before placing them in a bag. That is those selected. 

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

Leave it to a farang to get squeamish about someone handling meat with their hands.  Honestly, do people like this have a clue as to how meat is processed from the time it's still on the hoof until it hits the market?  I don't think so. If they did they'd become vegans.  Heck, I'm a farang and I find that sort of Western bacteria averse, uber-clean stereotype to simply be hilarious. It makes for good TV :clap2:

Monk_in_a_clean_room.jpg.9161a07385720d0148ee8a8e45bc3b7b.jpg

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, tropo said:

For anyone wanting unhandled Betagro chicken or pork, there's a new store on the corner of Chaiyapruek & Sukhumvit Roads in Jomtien. They have it fresh and frozen. Chicken leg quarters sell for 70 baht/kg, which is amazing value for Betagro chicken.  

Maybe that's the return from Big C which all those people touched - but obviously in new packages ?

10 hours ago, MekkOne said:

The vegan BULL-etc. of the day.

Yeah.

So make this simple experiment: leave a banana (or any other fruit) in the Thai sun for a day or two. Then eat it - it will most likely will taste, look and feel disgusting, but will not harm you in any serious way.

Now do the same thing with your favorite steak. Or fish. Please post the results (hire a medium first).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, connda said:

Leave it to a farang to get squeamish about someone handling meat with their hands.  Honestly, do people like this have a clue as to how meat is processed from the time it's still on the hoof until it hits the market?  I don't think so. If they did they'd become vegans.  Heck, I'm a farang and I find that sort of Western bacteria averse, uber-clean stereotype to simply be hilarious. It makes for good TV :clap2:

Monk_in_a_clean_room.jpg.9161a07385720d0148ee8a8e45bc3b7b.jpg

I am sure there are at least some professional slaughterhouses with hygiene regulations and supervisors - even in Thailand.

Obviously we can't see everything what happens, sometimes we must hope/trust that things go right.

But if a supermarket sells unpacked and not properly cooled fresh chicken which anybody can touch then this is a receipt for disaster.

Salmonella poisoning is no fun.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Meat will be cooked eventually so someone handling the meat, although not particularly nice, isn't that big a deal IMHO.

The ones that push my buttons are the bare-handed, bread and bun gropers, typically a grubby farang shopping for a bargain at the end of the day and pawing everything. You know the sort, greasy hair, long dirty fingernails and has been in LOS long enough to perfect the one-fingered nasal evacuation before wiping the residue off on his shorts.

You know who you are!

total farang bashing moron.

AI you ain't.

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe that's the return from Big C which all those people touched - but obviously in new packages ?

Betagro Chicken where I shop at Big C Extra is always packaged. Rather than needing to return anything, they seem to have a hard time keeping up with demand and often run short on stock. At least half of the time, in the late afternoon, when I shop, they don't have the cuts I'm after.

Edited by tropo