Need to do a border run from Chiang Mai. Would like to fly in and out.

[Had trouble with this website - it posted this thread when I was just beginning it.

Sorry for any confusion].

I entered Thailand for my 1st time ever with a SE entry visa in July.

Exited Thailand after about a month, returned Sept. 5th Visa Exempt.

My flight from Bangkok back to the USA is about 6 weeks from my reentry.

So I'll have to do a border run.

Would prefer to fly in/out rather than take a van ride.

Am currently in Chiang Mai.

What is the cheapest way to do this from Chiang Mai round trip by air?

I assume getting the 2nd Visa Exempt won't be a problem if I show a flight booked back to the US shortly after?

Do I have to stay overnite out of Thailand? If so , stay overnite and return  the day after arrival is acceptable?

Thank you 

Edited by JimmyJ

18 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Am currently in Chiang Mai.

What is the cheapest way to do this from Chiang Mai round trip by air?

Cheapest is Green bus from Arcade bus station (new building) to Mae Sai.

200bht normal, 300bht VIP seats (3 1/2 hrs) each way, 500bht for the border crossing.

Can be done in a single day.

Flights out,

VietJet to HCMC (Vietnam) can be had for 1,000-3000bht each way (1hr flight), but as an American, you need to pay a VISA fee for Vietnam.

Air Asia to Kuala Lumpur might be cheaper as no need to pay for a VISA.

I'd do the green bus unless I was going to stay somewhere for a week or more.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Cheapest was is Green bus from Arcade bus station (new building) to Mae Sai.

200bht normal, 300bht VIP seats each way, 500bht for the border crossing.

Can be done in a single day.

Flights out,

VietJet to HCMC (Vietnam) can be had for 1,000-3000bht each way (1hr flight), but as an American, you need to pay a VISA fee for Vietnam.

Air Asia to Kuala Lumpur might be cheaper as no need to pay for a VISA.

I'd do the green bus unless I was going to stay somewhere for a week or more.

I didn't want to do a van ride, but Green bus is interesting.

I took a VIP Green Bus Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai in August and it was fine.

A/C, plenty of foot room, single seats on one side of the aisle.

16 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I didn't want to do a van ride, but Green bus is interesting.

I took a VIP Green Bus Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai in August and it was fine.

A/C, plenty of foot room, single seats on one side of the aisle.

It's the same bus, with the same stops, just going a bit further (3 seats wide is VIP. 4 seats wide is normal, most buses have a mix of seats). I use them all the time, perfectly comfortable.

Get the 6am out, and the 14:30 back, plenty of time for a quick shop over the border and lunch at the Tesco superstore next to the bus station. Songtaw ride from bus station/border 15bht, takes 10 minutes.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Instead of a border run you can get an extension for a further 30 days at Immigration for 1900 baht. 

An extension of a Visa Exempt for USA citizen?

I wasn't aware of this and never heard of this option before.

If so, surprised people would spend at least ~1100 THB and a long day traveling to save 800 THB or less.

Edited by JimmyJ

7 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I wasn't aware of this.

It has been availabe since August of 2014. It is possible for all of those eligible under the standard visa exempt entry scheme.

You can apply for the 30 day extension at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's the same bus, with the same stops, just going a bit further (3 seats wide is VIP. 4 seats wide is normal, most buses have a mix of seats). I use them all the time, perfectly comfortable.

Get the 6am out, and the 14:30 back, plenty of time for a quick shop over the border and lunch at the Tesco superstore next to the bus station. Songtaw ride from bus station/border 15bht, takes 10 minutes.

Do you happen to know the name of the company?

It would be for buying a ticket from the Arcade Bus Station 1-2 days before. Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I wasn't aware of this and never heard of this option before.

If so, surprised people would spend at least ~1100 THB and a long day traveling to save 800 THB or less.

Thinking about it a bit more ,

it is understandable why this makes sense for certain situations.

Thanks all for the advice/info.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think they are from a multiple entry non-o visa that allows 90 day entries.

I realize that, but the the OP is, according to them,  on a 30 day visa exempt. How do you  get a 90 day entry from a border crossing via air or land from a visa exempt as posted. For sure you need a Non O but the OP has a visa exempt The poor OP must be confused now. This thread is about a person trying to find the cheapest way to prolong there stay here.

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

So I'll have to do a border run.

Would prefer to fly in/out rather than take a van ride.

You don’t need to do a border run. You can apply for a 30 day extension of stay from the immigration office in town.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I realize that, but the the OP is, according to them,  on a 30 day visa exempt. How do you  get a 90 day entry from a border crossing via air or land from a visa exempt as posted. 

He was responding to a post questioning why a person would do a border run.

Actually there are a few countries that get a 90 day visa exempt entry by way of a bilateral agreement. See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA_แก้ไข 15-03-61.pdf

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

But do they operate from here, opposite Central Festival on the 118?

No that's admin, maintenance, cargo and garaging.

You need to go 250m further into town for the Arcade bus station, less than a 10 minute walk.

bus2.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 11:04 AM, ubonjoe said:

It has been availabe since August of 2014. It is possible for all of those eligible under the standard visa exempt entry scheme.

You can apply for the 30 day extension at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

I'd like to do this.

I've never dealt with Immigration other than airport arrivals.

I'm reading in the CM forum of people queuing up at Imm. beginning at 4 am.

What do I need to bring with me?

Just my passport and 2 copies of it?

Do I need 2 passport type headshot photos of me?

What paperwork do I need to fill out?

I assume I fill that out at the Imm. Office?

I have an exit flight from Thailand about 8 days after my current Visa Exempt expires so I imagine I'll be granted the extension.

Will I be able to be taken care of if I arrive once they open rather than standing in line at 4am?

Thanks for all help in understanding the procedure at CM Immigration.

Edited by JimmyJ

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

I'm reading in the CM forum of people queuing up at Imm. beginning at 4 am.

What do I need to bring with me?

Just my passport and 2 copies of it?

Do I need 2 passport type headshot photos of me?

What paperwork do I need to fill out?

I assume I fill that out at the Imm. Office?

I have an exit flight from Thailand about 8 days after my current Visa Exempt expires so I imagine I'll be granted the extension.

Will I be able to be taken care of if I arrive once they open rather than standing in line at 4am?

The early arrival is only for certain extensions. You will not need to be there that early. You can be there a little before 8:30 when they open.

Has your residence been reported to immigration by where you are staying or yourself? That is one thing immigration will check for. If not they will want a completed TM30 Form Notification of aliens staying at a residence.

You will need a copy of your passport photo page, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

You need a completed TM7 form with one  4 X 6 cm photo attached. Download, completed and print 2 sided this Fillable TM7 form.pdf or do it at the office.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 7:07 AM, ubonjoe said:

The early arrival is only for certain extensions. You will not need to be there that early. You can be there a little before 8:30 when they open.

Has your residence been reported to immigration by where you are staying or yourself? That is one thing immigration will check for. If not they will want a completed TM30 Form Notification of aliens staying at a residence.

You will need a copy of your passport photo page, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

You need a completed TM7 form with one  4 X 6 cm photo attached. Download, completed and print 2 sided this Fillable TM7 form.pdf or do it at the office.

Thank you for the specifics.

"You will need a copy of your passport photo page, entry stamp and TM6 departure card."

Each one on a separate sheet?

Black & white or color?

This went well.

All the people I dealt with at CM Immigration were friendly and helpful.

Almost no one there to extend a 30 day Visa Exempt so I was 2nd in that line ("Tourist").

No problem wearing shorts, no getting jerked around by someone changing the requirements on a whim.

Thanks for all the help and thanks to ripstanley for being the 1st to suggest this option.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

This went well.

All the people I dealt with at CM Immigration were friendly and helpful.

Almost no one there to extend a 30 day Visa Exempt so I was 2nd in that line ("Tourist").

No problem wearing shorts, no getting jerked around by someone changing the requirements on a whim.

Thanks for all the help and thanks to ripstanley for being the 1st to suggest this option.

Thanks for the update.  This is consistent with others' reports, in that CM Immigration operated by the rules in a professional manner. 

As to Thai sensibilities about clothing and showing respect - Thais are more forgiving than many about foreigners not knowing and following their customs, but when one can accommodate them, it is polite to do so.  I would suggest long pants, closed-toe shoes, and a collared shirt when visiting immigration or other government-offices.