What is the first thing you eat when you go home?

darksidedog

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/9/2018 at 4:03 PM, scorecard said:

No sir; for yanks should be big macs, mac apple pies, KFC, wendy burgers, washed down by 2l of coke or sprite with free refill (must be in a giant paper cup). 

But I haven't been home to my country of origin for 24 years (not USA) so I can't answer the question. 

Boy, you sure have no idea.That's the crap we send overseas for you after our poor folk and/or kitchen-challenged try it out.

Just about any mom 'n pop restaurant or even bar and grille does a better burger, fried chicken and apple pie than the fast foods. Of course, it should be washed down with bottomless sweet iced-tea. 

If we’re in SoCal, a quick stop at In-N-Out a block from LAX is great, but for pizza, I’d go for California Pizza Kitchen’s “California Club”.

Juancho’s in Ontario for Mexican starting with a jumbo made-at-table guacamole...

And this time of year, how about a nice cookout at the beach or park?

7 minutes ago, smotherb said:
On 9/9/2018 at 4:03 PM, scorecard said:

No sir; for yanks should be big macs, mac apple pies, KFC, wendy burgers, washed down by 2l of coke or sprite with free refill (must be in a giant paper cup). 

But I haven't been home to my country of origin for 24 years (not USA) so I can't answer the question. 

Boy, you sure have no idea.That's the crap we send overseas for you after our poor folk and/or kitchen-challenged try it out.

That is just the Brit Aussie stereotype of yank eating habits, it does help with their self esteem though.

My sisters married to one and …. Frankly I was shocked when I was over there the first time, dining with the in laws or at restaurants. Being an American raised in the NW, you were polite and said nothing as you tried to choke it down. That said Blighty cuisine has made significant gains over the last decades.

Think about it, since this is a Thai forum who popularized Thai cuisine and Pat Thai to the world back in the late 80’s Wasn’t the Germans, Ozites or Nigels. :thumbsup:   If yuppies were dining exclusively at Macca D’s how would this be possible?  Right.

On 9/9/2018 at 1:00 PM, poohy said:

real ale, eg Bathams  then..... usually meals in this order not all on same day i hasten to add

an Indian/Bangladeshi curry

fish n chips

Pie chips and curry sauce

a Chinese special curry 

take 96 year old Dad to local carvery

all whilst raiding the supermarket for cheese of all descriptions

You can either make or buy ready made Indian curry in Thailand, although to make it you have to have an old Indian friend back home who's wife is willing to write down a recipe for you..

Fish and chips can do, just buy the paper when your home and bring it back to make it more authentic..

Pie chips and Curry sauce also can make.

For the rest, you'll have to have as much as you can while you are at home.. There is not any good chinese food I have found here yet..

In a couple of months, I am going back to the US for the first time in over 12 years. Darksidedog got me thinking about what to eat.

Gotta have some beef.

I want a good steak; US Prime boneless rib eye medium rare 22oz/2 inches thick with a baked potato, butter, sour cream, chives and a Caesar Salad--don't get me started; most people have no idea what a good Caesar entails--of course a good Pinot Noir or Zinfandel. 

A great prime rib, would also fit in real well . US Prime standing rib, medium rare thick-cut about five ribs with baked sweet potato and corn on the cob.

A good burger; US Choice, 85-90% lean, 16oz medium rare on a sourdough bun; just beef, garlic, salt and pepper, thick-sliced Bermuda onion, extra sharp cheddar, garlic butter and some baked potato wedges. And  smooth it down with some  George Dickel 12 year on the rocks.

Just can't seem to get any good beef dinners in Thailand unless my wife makes them with imported beef and then it is usually still inferior beef. That is the problem with the restaurants here which serve imported beef, just not as good as I like.

Then, I'll have to have some oyster shooters--a dozen raw oysters on the half-shell dumped in a dozen shot-glasses of chilled Gin and topped with horse radish, Tabasco, and lemon. The Thai oysters suck;  big, tough and nasty.

I will go to my favorite pizza and wings joint--not that Italian thing, a good American pizza; lots of sauce, lots of cheese and meat on a medium-thick crust. Extra crisp hot Buffalo wings with sour cream and celery stalks.  And, copious amounts of cold draught beer.

However, when I get back to my few living older relatives, I'll have my aunts make smothered cube  steak, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and her home-made dinner rolls with sweet iced-tea. As always, they will have a pot of dried white beans cooked in beer with ham hocks--in case I'm real hungry.

For breakfast aunt Til will make some good pork sausage in patties--just ground pork, sage, garlic, salt and pepper and her special touch--sunny-side eggs, home fried potatoes and buttermilk biscuits and her not to be beaten black coffee.

I'll go to a friend's or relative's house for BBQ, potato salad, baked beans and some cold beer and Tennessee whisky, George of course.

Then, I'll follow Jingthing and go to my favorite Mexican, Vietnamese, Greek, and Cuban restaurants. Can't seem to get those here either; although  I have been going to Vietnam and wearing out their pho, banh mi, binh cuong, cha gio, and bo bai mon. I like Vietnamese food better than Thai

After that, I'll have to go on a diet; so I might as well come back to Asia.

On 9/9/2018 at 5:07 PM, marcusarelus said:

First I have to grow a whole wheat sourdough starter and then buy and install a  pizza oven and plant some fresh basil and wait for it to mature find Italian Parmesan cheese and fresh Italian mozzarella find some Farina OO and buy a collar steak and make my own sausage and make the dough and let it ferment 18 hours.  Aw heck I'll just go to my kitchen here and open my oven door.  Is there really a person in the world who can't make mince, mashed tatties and carrots?

Pizza1.jpg

That looks enough for 2, send me through your address. ?

I find it funny that Brits (I'm one) complain about an Indian curry or Chinese are not the same here as they are in the UK.  Strange as it may seem, Indian food and Chinese food in the UK are not the same as in India or China also!!

Reading through the thread, I notice a lot of Brits get excited about products you can buy here.  I buy Warburton's crumpets, mature cheddar, Branston pickle, and many more locally.  I'm from Hull and the east coast where 'fish and chips' are supposed to be the best.  I've had fish and chips here that are much better than back home.

I would go for things that are devoid in Thailand.  New potatoes with lashings of butter for example.

54 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

That is just the Brit Aussie stereotype of yank eating habits, it does help with their self esteem though.

My sisters married to one and …. Frankly I was shocked when I was over there the first time, dining with the in laws or at restaurants. Being an American raised in the NW, you were polite and said nothing as you tried to choke it down. That said Blighty cuisine has made significant gains over the last decades.

Think about it, since this is a Thai forum who popularized Thai cuisine and Pat Thai to the world back in the late 80’s Wasn’t the Germans, Ozites or Nigels. :thumbsup:   If yuppies were dining exclusively at Macca D’s how would this be possible?  Right.

Yeah, I know. I've had to school several of my Brit and Ozzie friends on what good steaks  and burgers are. Have to admit, they have improved since I first ate their foods. First, time I went to Oz was in 1968. I could not believe the tough gristley over-cooked things they called steak. First time in UK was in 1970, couldn't take the greasy fish and chips--tried three different places, they must have been competing for how long they could go without changing the grease. And, that nasty salty axel grease they put on toast . . .

On 9/9/2018 at 4:17 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's funny when British people think about Indian food back home. Thailand is full of Indian restaurants.

Yeah, but I understand. They've taken what they liked form Indian food and made it their own--same-same the US did with pizza or Mexican food.

First thing on my menu be a couple of nice tender BBQ sirloin steak, next will be a couple big slabs of Atlantic Salmon or grilled barramundi, and finally a Supreme Pizza from my favorite pizza shop, a real top quality pizza with copious amounts of topping, unlike the garbage here in Pattaya. 

6 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, but I understand. They've taken what they liked form Indian food and made it their own--same-same the US did with pizza or Mexican food.

My English aunt lives in the USA, she told me..."We just had a Thai restaurant open up in town, we are going to check it out"....I said.."If the waitress says do you want cheese with that, walk out"..

?

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

One of the things I always cook for my sister when I’m home is biscuits and gravy. I like to use a spicy Italian sausage for the gravy and Bisquick for drop-biscuits.

Couple butter-basted egg over on top and we’re good to go...

One of my all-time favorites too. However, the wife does biscuits and sausage gravy here for me. She makes it from scratch. I usually have a group of Americans over for breakfast to watch our football games. B&G is their favorite.

Archived