What is the first thing you eat when you go home?

darksidedog

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

AFAIK, Villa markets have loads of it. Good price too (for Villa).

<deleted>  is Red Leicester already...like a Cheddar?

Speaking of Cheese? Whats the number 1 stilton brand you can get in Bkk

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

OK since your empirical knowledge of British cuisine is based on London pub lunches, we won't embarrass you further on food.

But since you're on a British geography roll, how about Avoch, Milngavie and Findochty.

Interesting how my "upmarket restaurants" become converted to "London pub lunches" in your mindset. I wasn't aware London pubs were charging 200 pounds for a lunch back in the early 2000's. I can still remember the taste of a glass of red wine costing 12 pounds at one of said dinner restaurants - it would not have made it into a cardboard cask back in Oz. Lucky for me the company I worked for was paying.

I'm starting to think there must be a secret arm of the UK government that goes into all the British hospitals removing newborns' tastebuds. It's a plausible hypothesis to explain the foods you are fond of.

Don't know why you want to stray into Scotland, I understand the Scots are not all that fond of Brits. Yes, I've been there too. As far north as Blairgowrie. The food isn't any better there; however, at least they have whisky. I remember a very good cheese shop at St. Andrews, but nearly all of the stock was imported from Europe.

17 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

3 egg American Cheese Omelette with Bacon, Avocado and Tomato, Grits, Home Fries and Thick Cut Sourdough Toast . Then a Boars Head Roast Beef Sandwich, Cold, on Marbled Rye with Russian Dressing. Then a NY Thin Crust Pizza with Sausage, Olives and Pepperoni.

That about covers the food you can only get in America (well sometimes Canada too) and no where else in the world.

Boar's Head had some good looking trucks...

I could go for a hot, fat Kielbasa & kraut with French's mustard and a side of salt-potatoes...

Or liverwurst & swiss on a toasted Kaiser roll with Bermuda onion, mayonnaise & spicy mustard...

Or if you're buying, a nice NY Strip with a Maine lobster tail...

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Interesting how my "upmarket restaurants" become converted to "London pub lunches" in your mindset. I wasn't aware London pubs were charging 200 pounds for a lunch back in the early 2000's. I can still remember the taste of a glass of red wine costing 12 pounds at one of said dinner restaurants - it would not have made it into a cardboard cask back in Oz. Lucky for me the company I worked for was paying.

I'm starting to think there must be a secret arm of the UK government that goes into all the British hospitals removing newborns' tastebuds. It's a plausible hypothesis to explain the foods you are fond of.

Don't know why you want to stray into Scotland, I understand the Scots are not all that fond of Brits. Yes, I've been there too. As far north as Blairgowrie. The food isn't any better there; however, at least they have whisky. I remember a very good cheese shop at St. Andrews, but nearly all of the stock was imported from Europe.

OMG. An Aussie food snob! Now there's an oxymoron if ever there was one.

BTW. Scots are Brits.

On Scottish food, if you read this thread, you will discover that there is a wide range of food unique to Scotland.

I can remember ordering haggis with tatties and neeps at a very swish restaurant in Glasgow. What was presented to me was delicious and would have graced the table in any Michelin starred restaurant.

18 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

3 egg American Cheese Omelette with Bacon, Avocado and Tomato, Grits, Home Fries and Thick Cut Sourdough Toast . Then a Boars Head Roast Beef Sandwich, Cold, on Marbled Rye with Russian Dressing. Then a NY Thin Crust Pizza with Sausage, Olives and Pepperoni.

That about covers the food you can only get in America (well sometimes Canada too) and no where else in the world.

Really an uneducated statement.  1.  Pecan smoked brisket of beef.  2.  Tex Mex food is only available in Texas ( I could list a hundred items and keep going)  3.  Chicago style Pizza.  4.  Chicago style Italian beef sandwich.  5.  Chicago style J town Polish.  6.  Detroit Pizza  7.  Chicago smelt. 8. Andouille Sausage. 9. Cajun and Creole specialties available only in Louisiana number in the hundreds.   10 Poutine in Canada as well as all the wild game specialties in Quebec and 11. West coast Indian smoked salmon.  12.Cioppino in SF.  13.  Oysters Rockefeller.   14.  Boston baked beans.  15.  Ben and Jerrys ice cream.  16. New England and Manhattan style clam chowder.17 Maine lobster.  18.  Arkansas catfish and hush puppies.  19. Pulled pork 20. Key lime pie.  21 Vermont maple syrup.  22. Mud pie. 

I could keep going for another 20 pages. 

53 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Really an uneducated statement.  1.  Pecan smoked brisket of beef.  2.  Tex Mex food is only available in Texas ( I could list a hundred items and keep going)  3.  Chicago style Pizza.  4.  Chicago style Italian beef sandwich.  5.  Chicago style J town Polish.  6.  Detroit Pizza  7.  Chicago smelt. 8. Andouille Sausage. 9. Cajun and Creole specialties available only in Louisiana number in the hundreds.   10 Poutine in Canada as well as all the wild game specialties in Quebec and 11. West coast Indian smoked salmon.  12.Cioppino in SF.  13.  Oysters Rockefeller.   14.  Boston baked beans.  15.  Ben and Jerrys ice cream.  16. New England and Manhattan style clam chowder.17 Maine lobster.  18.  Arkansas catfish and hush puppies.  19. Pulled pork 20. Key lime pie.  21 Vermont maple syrup.  22. Mud pie. 

I could keep going for another 20 pages. 

What about the crawdads? Jethro Clampett was always chomping down on them.

Also, my great aunt always sent my mother a Macey's pecan pie for Christmas. Never seen them outside the US. Way better than British Christmas cake.

17 hours ago, sanemax said:

Although I do prefer brown wholemeal bread , which I havent seen here .

Cheese, although available, is alot more expensive .

I also like smoked bacon , meat with a little bit of fat , which can be cut off , unlike the fat and a little bit of meat that you get here .

I also do not have a grill here .

Yes, you could make do , but it wont be the same as I make at home 

You've never seen brown wholemeal bread in Thailand? Huh?

So many different brands of bacon available also.

You don't need a grille, a hot, un-oiled frying pan does exactly the same thing as a grill.

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

I also like smoked bacon , meat with a little bit of fat , which can be cut off , unlike the fat and a little bit of meat that you get here .

Everything you stated here is available at Makro ! Including the grill.

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

No problem getting it here. 

'Sloane's UK Dry Cured Back Bacon.

Product Code : SL006

Back_Bacon_adjust.jpg

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

OMG. An Aussie food snob! Now there's an oxymoron if ever there was one.

BTW. Scots are Brits.

On Scottish food, if you read this thread, you will discover that there is a wide range of food unique to Scotland.

I can remember ordering haggis with tatties and neeps at a very swish restaurant in Glasgow. What was presented to me was delicious and would have graced the table in any Michelin starred restaurant.

Unfortunately, haggis with tatties and neeps ( yes, I know it's stuffed sheep stomach with potatoes and turnips ) does vary considerably in quality, from reasonably edible to downright atrocious.

There are about 1.6 million Scots that would disagree with you, if I remember the last referendum right.

If I was a food snob, I would not be liking Cumberland sausage, or battered cod with chip and peas.

I'm inclined to the view food should suit the climate. In Australia, it's bloody ridiculous we should be following the British tradition of roast everything at Christmas. A long time ago, I converted my family to cold Tasmanian crayfish with mustard sauce, salad, and a Vasse Felix classic dry white. Followed by a seasonal fruit salad mix - usually pineapple, strawberries, seedless grapes, blueberries and cantaloupe.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

What about the crawdads? Jethro Clampett was always chomping down on them.

Also, my great aunt always sent my mother a Macey's pecan pie for Christmas. Never seen them outside the US. Way better than British Christmas cake.

Careful now. The Brits will think we are ganging up on them.

My only problem with American food is that restaurants seem to think they are cheating their customers if the quantities are not huge. I was once served a roast beef in Pittsburgh that was the size of a large loaf of bread - well cooked, but just way too big for me. Same with a baked scrod in Norwalk.

I must admit to being partial to New Orleans Cajun and Creole cuisine, I put on about 10 pounds in the week I was there. I don't think I've encountered gumbo that good anywhere else.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Interesting how my "upmarket restaurants" become converted to "London pub lunches" in your mindset.

That's interesting? Really?

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I wasn't aware London pubs were charging 200 pounds for a lunch back in the early 2000's. I can still remember the taste of a glass of red wine costing 12 pounds at one of said dinner restaurants - it would not have made it into a cardboard cask back in Oz. Lucky for me the company I worked for was paying.

Either way, London-only dining is not the be and end all of British cuisine. Never has been. Not even 18 years ago.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Ah yes, thinking. You're usually pretty good at that, no?

Don't know why you want to stray into Scotland, I understand the Scots are not all that fond of Brits. Yes, I've been there too. As far north as Blairgowrie.

Umm... oh, never mind.

I remember a very good cheese shop at St. Andrews, but nearly all of the stock was imported from Europe.

It wisnae very good at all then wuz it?

scotland_cheese_map_a4_2013.thumb.jpg.1717caa66714d77043bc87abdbd0586b.jpg

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Unfortunately, haggis with tatties and neeps ( yes, I know it's stuffed sheep stomach with potatoes and turnips ) does vary considerably in quality, from reasonably edible to downright atrocious.

More precisely sheeps heart, liver, and lungs, minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and cooked while traditionally encased in the animal's stomach. But very true and the worst abominations mostly come from tampering with the meaty bits to try and make it sound less offal awful.

There are about 1.6 million Scots that would disagree with you, if I remember the last referendum right.

Irrelevant... and off topic.

If I was a food snob, I would not be liking Cumberland sausage, or battered cod with chip and peas.

Redemption!... but haddock is way better.

I'm inclined to the view food should suit the climate. In Australia, it's bloody ridiculous we should be following the British tradition of roast everything at Christmas.

Very, very good point (at last). Which beggars the question with all that heat, how do you stop your brie getting all runny?

A long time ago, I converted my family to cold Tasmanian crayfish with mustard sauce, salad, and a Vasse Felix classic dry white. Followed by a seasonal fruit salad mix - usually pineapple, strawberries, seedless grapes, blueberries and cantaloupe.

Happy for you and your family. I will admit that me sojourn for quality beef sausages in Thailand led me to sample some Tasmanian Cape Grim stuff and they were very, very good, as are their burger patties.

And they also have Boag's!

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

????????????????

Wow that was great.

42 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

5 guys burger and fries, a good steak, and kielbasa from the local market. new york style pizza, johnsonville brats, and biscuits and gravy

Nice!

18 minutes ago, benny11 said:

Italian Beef Sandwich in Chicago.

Excellent choice.

16 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

In and Out burge

Nothing more needs be said. If I hit the West Coast first, In and Out it is!

Archived