What is the first thing you eat when you go home?

darksidedog

Just now, HHTel said:

You got it the wrong way round.  It was working in Bird's Eye that put her off.

The fish and chip shop we go to here uses fresh fish, not frozen.

Then it's not cod or haddock. You can't get them fresh in Thailand.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Chassa said:

2% of American restaurants are BBQ restaurants or about 20,000.  How many in the rest of the world? 

Too lazy to cook at home?

Granted, in the US much of the  BBQ is done at home on the grill by dad most weekends. However, many of those BBQ restaurants specialize in local varieties of BBQ or have all-you-can-eat. 

One of my favorite AYCE BBQ places is in Florida; they serve pork, beef, chicken and fish done in several ways with several different sauces--mustard, tomato, white, vinegar, spice and molasses.They also have a great selection of vegetables--green beans, okra, corn, white beans, baked beans, fried potatoes, potato salad, and chow-chow (a local thick spicy relish)--and of course, corn pone with a variety of desserts--pecan pie, apple pie, black-berry cobbler. Drinks as expected: beer, wine and sweet tea.

Damn, there's another place I'll have to go. The meats and cuts have a separate prices and come with your choice of veggies and dessert. If you are really hungry, you can eat the Whole-Bunch--you pay the top price and eat as much of anything as you like.  We used to play industrial softball on weekends and go there afterwards; sometimes staying well into the night eating and drinking.

It’s been a couple years since I went back but it’s always Mexican 

food on the way home from the airport. A priority! 

darksidedog Is the Chinese authentic? In Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco have areas called China town. Most food in these areas are 

Chinese food made to American tastes. 

Cusromers that came to Los Angeles would go to San Gabriel to 

get authentic Chinese food. Four of China aircraft manufactures 

Have staff that live in San Gabriel that expedite/liaison with US

suppliers. On rotating assignment for 1-2 years then back to China

which usually they get promoted.  

i lived in China 10 years and the food I. San Gabriel is the same.

i won’t go into the dog dick soup..(Mainland Chi a) ... wouldn’t try it.

30 minutes ago, Spidey said:

No I'm letting my knowledge that cold water crustaceans  are far better than warm water crustaceans. European Lobster as a species is only fished in the Northern Hemisphere. Spiny Lobsters and Slipper Lobsters aren't even real lobsters (different genus).

You have not tasted the lobster (yes they are lobster but a different branch of the family) and you make a determination about all shellfish available in Thailand?  At steak and lobster restaurants around the world they use warm water tails because of the cost.  Sure they are different but they are lobster tails.  All the lobster from Florida are warm water tails.  At Fuji in Thailand you can get big imported scallops and at Zen in Thailand you can get little Thai scallops.  They are not the same.  Both good.  Live main lobster is not the same as a slipper tail.  Both good if cooked properly.  Neither is far better except to you.  I like big scallops and little scallops and warm water tails and cold water tails.  I am a foodie and I taste stuff myself. 

I could cook lobster in Thailand that no one would be able to tell from European lobster.  I'm a good cook.  All I'm saying is give Thai lobster a chance.  Get some live lobster and scallops and have a person who can cook prepare them for you.  You will be pleasantly surprised and you don't have to go to Europe for your lobster fix.

There are about 800 Red Lobster restaurants worth about 3 billion dollars and they serve warm water tails.  Who would have thought?

Depends on flight arrival time .  But I usually hit my local Italian deli, for a fresh (beautiful crusty roll) sandwich of amazing assorted cold cuts (prosciutto, capicolo, sopressata) and real mozzarella , a container of tiny black olives in wine, other containers of pickled goodies,  a decent bottle of red wine... and whatever the fresh pastry is.   Simple, but like heroin to a junkie.

1 minute ago, CanuckThai said:

Depends on flight arrival time .  But I usually hit my local Italian deli, for a fresh (beautiful crusty roll) sandwich of amazing assorted cold cuts (prosciutto, capicolo, sopressata) and real mozzarella , a container of tiny black olives in wine, other containers of pickled goodies,  a decent bottle of red wine... and whatever the fresh pastry is.   Simple, but like heroin to a junkie.

Why not eat this stuff in Thailand?  Too expensive?

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Why not eat this stuff in Thailand?  Too expensive?

I would if I could find it, nothing even close here (in my area).  I'm a foodie as well...the old Italian couple (and family) that run the deli, are sticklers for quality and perfection.  Price is not the issue

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

There are about 800 Red Lobster restaurants worth about 3 billion dollars and they serve warm water tails.  Who would have thought?

Not in the UK. Lobster tails are from the same lobster as a full lobster. Only warm water lobster tails that might be available in the UK would be frozen. A good restaurant serving frozen, fake lobster tails? I don't think so!

Aren't Maine Lobster tails a popular menu item in the States? Would they be warm water lobster tails?

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

"Where can you buy Warburtons crumpets in Thailand? Answer please as my wife is desperate!"

Mine too !!  I was dribbling just reading it ! ?

"Seen Warburtons crumpets and loaves in the freezer at Villa.

Villa where ? 

Udon Thani

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

In a couple of months, I am going back to the US for the first time in over 12 years. Darksidedog got me thinking about what to eat.

Gotta have some beef.

I want a good steak; US Prime boneless rib eye medium rare 22oz/2 inches thick with a baked potato, butter, sour cream, chives and a Caesar Salad--don't get me started; most people have no idea what a good Caesar entails--of course a good Pinot Noir or Zinfandel. 

A great prime rib, would also fit in real well . US Prime standing rib, medium rare thick-cut about five ribs with baked sweet potato and corn on the cob.

A good burger; US Choice, 85-90% lean, 16oz medium rare on a sourdough bun; just beef, garlic, salt and pepper, thick-sliced Bermuda onion, extra sharp cheddar, garlic butter and some baked potato wedges. And  smooth it down with some  George Dickel 12 year on the rocks.

Just can't seem to get any good beef dinners in Thailand unless my wife makes them with imported beef and then it is usually still inferior beef. That is the problem with the restaurants here which serve imported beef, just not as good as I like.

Then, I'll have to have some oyster shooters--a dozen raw oysters on the half-shell dumped in a dozen shot-glasses of chilled Gin and topped with horse radish, Tabasco, and lemon. The Thai oysters suck;  big, tough and nasty.

I will go to my favorite pizza and wings joint--not that Italian thing, a good American pizza; lots of sauce, lots of cheese and meat on a medium-thick crust. Extra crisp hot Buffalo wings with sour cream and celery stalks.  And, copious amounts of cold draught beer.

However, when I get back to my few living older relatives, I'll have my aunts make smothered cube  steak, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and her home-made dinner rolls with sweet iced-tea. As always, they will have a pot of dried white beans cooked in beer with ham hocks--in case I'm real hungry.

For breakfast aunt Til will make some good pork sausage in patties--just ground pork, sage, garlic, salt and pepper and her special touch--sunny-side eggs, home fried potatoes and buttermilk biscuits and her not to be beaten black coffee.

I'll go to a friend's or relative's house for BBQ, potato salad, baked beans and some cold beer and Tennessee whisky, George of course.

Then, I'll follow Jingthing and go to my favorite Mexican, Vietnamese, Greek, and Cuban restaurants. Can't seem to get those here either; although  I have been going to Vietnam and wearing out their pho, banh mi, binh cuong, cha gio, and bo bai mon. I like Vietnamese food better than Thai

After that, I'll have to go on a diet; so I might as well come back to Asia.

After that, you'd better give us the name of the hospital where you will be recuperating from a cardiac arrest.

32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You have not tasted the lobster (yes they are lobster but a different branch of the family) and you make a determination about all shellfish available in Thailand?  At steak and lobster restaurants around the world they use warm water tails because of the cost.  Sure they are different but they are lobster tails.  All the lobster from Florida are warm water tails.  At Fuji in Thailand you can get big imported scallops and at Zen in Thailand you can get little Thai scallops.  They are not the same.  Both good.  Live main lobster is not the same as a slipper tail.  Both good if cooked properly.  Neither is far better except to you.  I like big scallops and little scallops and warm water tails and cold water tails.  I am a foodie and I taste stuff myself. 

I could cook lobster in Thailand that no one would be able to tell from European lobster.  I'm a good cook.  All I'm saying is give Thai lobster a chance.  Get some live lobster and scallops and have a person who can cook prepare them for you.  You will be pleasantly surprised and you don't have to go to Europe for your lobster fix.

Crayfish or  lobster, if it's eaten on the West Coast of America the odds are pretty good it has come from Tasmania.

59 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not in the UK. Lobster tails are from the same lobster as a full lobster. Only warm water lobster tails that might be available in the UK would be frozen. A good restaurant serving frozen, fake lobster tails? I don't think so!

Aren't Maine Lobster tails a popular menu item in the States? Would they be warm water lobster tails?

No.  Normally Maine lobster is served whole.  Maine lobster is from the cold waters of the North.  6 Maine lobster tails cost in the USA cost 10,000 baht. Maine lobster have big claws Rock lobsters don't.  Why would you take the tails off a Maine lobster?  What would you do with the rest?  Maine lobster is only good live.  Should not freeze Maine lobster.  You can buy it in Bangkok but it's live and expensive.  In the States 3 whole lobsters are about 8000 baht.  https://www.capeporpoiselobster.com/product/fresh-maine-lobster-tails/

Whole lobsters normally served in a US restaurant are chicken lobsters.  Small ones - no good. 

Best way to try Maine lobster is to order from the above company (or one like it) and steam it yourself. 

Fresh Maine Jumbo Lobster Tails 12/14oz - 6 pk

$300.25 American price.  You can figure out how much they would cost in a restaurant by multiplying by 3. 

During 2016 the UK imported £1.4 M of frozen rock lobster.The largest international suppliers to the UK market are Denmark (£711.1K), France (£572.5K), Ireland (£96K), Netherlands (£6.7K) and Australia (£5.5K).

6 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Now just to go off at a tangent, forgive me, but has any one of our British posters ever been able to buy dark chocolate Hobnobs in Thailand ?  

Widely available in the North at Rimping supermarkets and probably elsewhere also.

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Crayfish or  lobster, if it's eaten on the West Coast of America the odds are pretty good it has come from Tasmania.

America exported about 2 million pounds to China in the first month of this year.  Lobster harvests from South Florida, including the Keys, totaled between 5 million pounds and 6 million pounds in the past four years.

1 hour ago, Chassa said:

2% of American restaurants are BBQ restaurants or about 20,000.  How many in the rest of the world? 

Too lazy to cook at home?

Can't do it at home.  Needs special slow smoking equipment and special wood and a brisket of beef is enough to feed 10 people not 2.  Plus the smoking and and traditional BBQ procedure would make a big mess. 

I also think you will find more people eating out is a trend worldwide for the past 50 years. 

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

Barracuda, Snapper, John Dorey to name a few and far better than cod.  I'll agree with you on haddock though.  

in the Gulf they got a fish called hammour in both gulf waters and in the Red Sea which is a lot like snapper, hard to tell them apart tastewise...it makes respectable fish and chips served in local western style restaurants unless they bugger things up by serving it with fries instead of chips...also good for many other types of preparation...very tasty, buy it whole and fresh at the supermarket or the fish market and they scale and fillet it on the spot, very nice...

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

Now just to go off at a tangent, forgive me, but has any one of our British posters ever been able to buy dark chocolate Hobnobs in Thailand ?  

I haven't seen Hobnobs but I do have a fetish for McVities Plain chocolate digestives. Have bought them twice in Thailand. Big mistake, never again! Due to the ambient temperature over here, the chocolate had melted and when I got home I put them in the fridge, creating a single block of chocolate/digestive. Impossible to part the individual biscuits, so I had to smash the block up and eat the crumbs.

On 9/9/2018 at 4:03 PM, scorecard said:

No sir; for yanks should be big macs, mac apple pies, KFC, wendy burgers, washed down by 2l of coke or sprite with free refill (must be in a giant paper cup). 

But I haven't been home to my country of origin for 24 years (not USA) so I can't answer the question. 

Beats that slop you limeys call blood pudding ??

Archived