What is the first thing you eat when you go home?

darksidedog

I wake up the first morning and go to one of the nearby Mexican greasy spoons for chorizo con huevos - either a freakishly large burrito version, or a plate with rice, beans and corn tortillas.  Horchata or Jamaica beverage.

Didn't make it to breakfast the last trip though.   Drove from Los Angeles down to San Diego, dropped the bags, then wife and I tucked in to a big carne asada burrito around 11pm.  Ahhhhhhh!  ?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When mum and dad were still about, I would usually get home mid-to-late morning and it would be a couple of fresh rowies and a big mug of Nambarrie tea.

nambarrie.jpg.b13eaaac6d585ebf726bc1fd2199b79d.jpg

rowies2.jpg.9090588b6389440ad8d4844e8c3ae617.jpg

If coming home from late afternoon shopping, I'd grab some fish suppers with fresh haddock from the chipper at Bridge of Don .

1880667352_haddocksupper.jpg.72371f6f0044a44278864109890a3fe5.jpg

Lunch would be mince, mashed tatties, chappit neeps n' carrots and mealie pudding.

1661907130_mincentatties.jpg.31820247a3b6b44d6fe8e1a25d936b04.jpg

First I have to grow a whole wheat sourdough starter and then buy and install a  pizza oven and plant some fresh basil and wait for it to mature find Italian Parmesan cheese and fresh Italian mozzarella find some Farina OO and buy a collar steak and make my own sausage and make the dough and let it ferment 18 hours.  Aw heck I'll just go to my kitchen here and open my oven door.  Is there really a person in the world who can't make mince, mashed tatties and carrots?

Pizza1.jpg

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

No sir; for yanks should be big macs, mac apple pies, KFC, wendy burgers, washed down by 2l of coke or sprite with free refill (must be in a giant paper cup). 

But I haven't been home to my country of origin for 24 years (not USA) so I can't answer the question. 

Most Americans with the gumption to travel  aren't typically fast foodies.

They're like others wanting to eat decent food.

I feel you are unfairly stereotyping them.

22 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

When mum and dad were still about, I would usually get home mid-to-late morning and it would be a couple of fresh rowies and a big mug of Nambarrie tea.

rowies2.jpg.9090588b6389440ad8d4844e8c3ae617.jpg

Being from the west coast, I had never even heard of rowies until I went to Aberdeen Techincal School at 17. What an epiphany! They have to be the greatest breakfast ever.

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I believe Thai people eat the same Big Mac as American people eat. 

This isn't an argument with you.

I was responding to what I thought was a condescending remark by Scorecard which suggested Americans only know McDonalds and Wendy's.

Whenever I visit my mother I ask her to make me stovies, a traditional Scottish meal that is made with lots of potatoes, onion, lard and meat.

The thing about stovies is that everybody's mother made them, but no two mothers seemed to use the same recipe so no two cooks' dishes look or taste the same. I came to learn that if you like how you get it at home, never order stovies in a restaurant as you will only be disappointed.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

If I was ever to return to the UK it would be some proper COD and chips, 

next day for breakfast some Craster kippers, later in the day cup of tea

and some Battenburg cake, thats it ,all i really miss.just about everything

else you can get here,one way or another.

regards worgeordie

Tops does Waitrose boil in the bag kippers - sporadically - sells them I mean, the kippers themselves are not in the slightest bit sporadic.

Some scoundrel mentioned  Wensleydale Cheese - aagh, I've only recently lost the craving!

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Whenever I visit my mother I ask her to make me stovies, a traditional Scottish meal that is made with lots of potatoes, onion, lard and meat.

The thing about stovies is that everybody's mother made them, but no two mothers seemed to use the same recipe so no two cooks' dishes look or taste the same. I came to learn that if you like how you get it at home, never order stovies in a restaurant as you will only be disappointed.

I can remember camping in Scotland and woke up in the morning starving. Went to the village newsagent and bought a couple of giant Bridies, still warm from the oven. Best breakfast I ever had. Still addicted to them now.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

If I was ever to return to the UK it would be some proper COD and chips, 

next day for breakfast some Craster kippers, later in the day cup of tea

and some Battenburg cake, thats it ,all i really miss.just about everything

else you can get here,one way or another.

regards worgeordie

I never bother to return anyway but I have cod and chips here fried with my own fair hand.   Home made beer batter and cod fillets I buy from Villa.  Now kippers I miss and you just mentioned Battenburg so now I am missing that!!  Nothing else apart from the fact you can not buy decent sized  beef ribs.   Well I have seen them but I never realised they had miniature cattle in Australia or NZ ?

Tops does Waitrose boil in the bag kippers - sporadically - sells them I mean, the kippers themselves are not in the slightest bit sporadic.

Some scoundrel mentioned  Wensleydale Cheese - aagh, I've only recently lost the craving!

Sorry that was me !!

To make amends , if you’re anywhere near Ayutthaya i can bring you some in December .
5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Seconded. Due to her failing eyesight, I got mum to dictate her recipes to dad so he could convert them into digital form. Some of them are easy enough to follow but some of the more esoteric Scottish measurements such as a 'teekie' or a 'thoughtie' have me in a bit of a trauchle.

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sorry that was me !!

To make amends , if you’re anywhere near Ayutthaya i can bring you some in December .

That's kind, but I'm up in Chiang Rai. Thanks.

It just occurred to me that TOPS carry some Waitrose Cheeses from time to time - I'll go and have a look...

I must admit I'm amazed by the number of Brits who nominate an Indian curry or Chinese as their first choice.

Australian, so a chunk of eye filet cooked medium, with a decent Aussie shiraz - Pepperjack or Booth's. For cheese, King Island Blue Brie. Asparagus in season.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I must admit I'm amazed by the number of Brits who nominate an Indian curry or Chinese as their first choice.

Australian, so a chunk of eye filet cooked medium, with a decent Aussie shiraz - Pepperjack or Booth's. For cheese, King Island Blue Brie. Asparagus in season.

Sounds good and I'm not Australian.

Archived