What is the first thing you eat when you go home?

darksidedog

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, transam said:

My English aunt lives in the USA, she told me..."We just had a Thai restaurant open up in town, we are going to check it out"....I said.."If the waitress says do you want cheese with that, walk out"..

?

Yeah, I have good friends, Thai woman and her American husband, they run an upscale Thai restaurant in Florida. All the wait-staff are Thais--Asians at least--wear Chut Thai and even put on a little Thai dance show. However, they set the table with chopsticks and there is no prik nam pla. I called the Thai owner over and asked where was the pnp; she said she does not have any--I shamed her, jokingly, saying that was like Mickey Dee's not  having any catsup--she explained her customers never ask for pnp; just meeting the tastes of her customers and I guess their expectations too  with the chopsticks. She went back to the kitchen and brought the prik nam pla the help ate.  That's how my wife and I became friends with her and her husband.

31 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I find it funny that Brits (I'm one) complain about an Indian curry or Chinese are not the same here as they are in the UK.  Strange as it may seem, Indian food and Chinese food in the UK are not the same as in India or China also!!

Reading through the thread, I notice a lot of Brits get excited about products you can buy here.  I buy Warburton's crumpets, mature cheddar, Branston pickle, and many more locally.  I'm from Hull and the east coast where 'fish and chips' are supposed to be the best.  I've had fish and chips here that are much better than back home.

I would go for things that are devoid in Thailand.  New potatoes with lashings of butter for example.

Astute observation.

I worked in China in the 1980's and an Aussie-Chinese opened a resto in the basement of the Great Wall Hotel. He made money hand over fist from the expats who feasted on Aussie/Brit-style Chinese. Across the hallway was the hotel's own, overpriced, traditional-style Chinese resto... typically empty. After only about 6-months, the hotel owners hiked the Aussie guys rent so high, he shuttered overnight. Meanwhile, the traditional Chinese resto still remained mostly empty.

Fish and chips have mostly become overpriced rubbish for the weekend away type visitors. One really has to track down the chippies that do it the old fashioned way, with quality non-frozen fish, fresh cut spuds and hot, CLEAN oil that's changed regularly and kept searingly hot and not just turned up to flash-fry a walk-in order. Too many lazy and cheap buggers just boil their frozen fish and soggy chips in oil.

You know you've been in Thailand too long when (think) you can tell the difference between certain rice as served. Not just old or overcooked but by taste and texture. I know Mrs Tam was quite put out by the limited varieties of rice for sale back in the UK and if it wasn't Thai, well fugedaboudit! Similarly, I miss the lack of choice of potatoes here beyond the 'imported' and 'new' ones. The different UK and US varieties like King Edwards, Charlotte, Russet, Maris Piper and the small red ones, simply broasted skin-on and served with  Mexican rotisserie chicken.

27 minutes ago, transam said:

My English aunt lives in the USA, she told me..."We just had a Thai restaurant open up in town, we are going to check it out"....I said.."If the waitress says do you want cheese with that, walk out"..

?

Thai cuisine in USA = coconut milk with EVERYTHING.

Just now, mogandave said:

Given the size, ethnic diversity, availability of ingredients and competition for the market, Americans can enjoy most anything they like.

Same for UK. Lots of Chinese and Indians living in UK. But it's not what they miss when they live in Thailand. They miss British food.

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not me and not the majority of posters from the UK.

Americans seem to be going for anything but American.

Pizza? tacos? American?

It sure seems a lot of the UKs are drooling over Chinese and Indian foods--read my post #142. But, like you, I have more ethnic foods to like--see my post #137

57 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I find it funny that Brits (I'm one) complain about an Indian curry or Chinese are not the same here as they are in the UK.  Strange as it may seem, Indian food and Chinese food in the UK are not the same as in India or China also!!

Reading through the thread, I notice a lot of Brits get excited about products you can buy here.  I buy Warburton's crumpets, mature cheddar, Branston pickle, and many more locally.  I'm from Hull and the east coast where 'fish and chips' are supposed to be the best.  I've had fish and chips here that are much better than back home.

I would go for things that are devoid in Thailand.  New potatoes with lashings of butter for example.

Where can you buy Warburtons crumpets in Thailand? Answer please as my wife is desperate!

Can't see how you can have fish and chips here that are better than back at home. Good fish and chips are made with fresh cod or haddock. Not available in Thailand. Frozen fish is a poor substitute.

On 9/9/2018 at 3:39 PM, seajae said:

fish and chips, pluto pup, piece of flake, dim sims, big spring roll and potato cakes but can vary depending which part of Australia I am in

You miss shark? There's plenty of Vietnamese Catfish (basa) in Thailand that has a very similar taste and texture. It's what they mainly use in Australia for fish & chips these days. It's a worldwide affliction.

Just now, tropo said:

You miss shark? There's plenty of Vietnamese Catfish (basa) in Thailand that has a very similar taste and texture. It's what they mainly use in Australia for fish & chips these days. It's a worldwide affliction.

Vietnamese Catfish is mostly farmed in Thailand. Even if not, it's pretty tasteless and has a poor texture.

Cold water fish (North Atlantic) is far superior to any warm water fish. Same goes for shellfish. However, I remember having a shark steak on the beach in Spain once. Best fish dish I've ever eaten. Absolutely nothing like Vietnamese Catfish.

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Where can you buy Warburtons crumpets in Thailand? Answer please as my wife is desperate!

Can't see how you can have fish and chips here that are better than back at home. Good fish and chips are made with fresh cod or haddock. Not available in Thailand. Frozen fish is a poor substitute.

Seen Warburtons crumpets and loaves in the freezer at Villa.

Correct with the frozen fish. The best one can do here is if you cannot assess how long it's been frozen then don't bother. If you do have a good handle on the age, only buy it if you plan on cooking it within a few days.

23 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not me and not the majority of posters from the UK.

Americans seem to be going for anything but American.

Pizza? tacos? American?

If you have been to America you know that Chicago, NY or Detroit style pizza is not Italian.  Tex mex food is not Mexican.  Italian beef or a Polish sausage from Chicago is not Polish or Italian.  Louisiana creole or Cajun is neither French or African.   BBQ and smoking is distinctly American.  Good American beef (healthy or not) is not like beef from Australia.  The largest selling cut of beef in Texas is the Brisket and it is used in ways totally removed from the boiled or corned beef in the UK.  

British food was basically developed before refrigeration for use on ships.  Hard tack bully beef and things like that.  Not really edible unless at war in the 1700's.  The US always had ice so it was a different story there.  As a child I used to cute ice and store in a pit to last all summer. 

I've been in the UK for the past two months so I've been through the food cycle, next time I visit my short list will include:

Fish and chips from Quay fish and chip shop

Gala Pie from M&S

Good quality Cumberland sausage is rarer than hens teeth, haven't found any this trip (and I'm in Cumberland), maybe next time.

Bacon baps from Greggs.

Almost any Indian dish from Sarah's stall in the market.

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Vietnamese Catfish is mostly farmed in Thailand. Even if not, it's pretty tasteless and has a poor texture.

Cold water fish (North Atlantic) is far superior to any warm water fish. Same goes for shellfish. However, I remember having a shark steak on the beach in Spain once. Best fish dish I've ever eaten. Absolutely nothing like Vietnamese Catfish.

Lots of lobster, shrimp, mussels and scallops in in Thailand.  The only thing that Maine lobster has different is claws.  I mostly eat salmon or tuna in Thailand and stay away from the catfish. 

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Astute observation.

I worked in China in the 1980's and an Aussie-Chinese opened a resto in the basement of the Great Wall Hotel. He made money hand over fist from the expats who feasted on Aussie/Brit-style Chinese. Across the hallway was the hotel's own, overpriced, traditional-style Chinese resto... typically empty. After only about 6-months, the hotel owners hiked the Aussie guys rent so high, he shuttered overnight. Meanwhile, the traditional Chinese resto still remained mostly empty.

Fish and chips have mostly become overpriced rubbish for the weekend away type visitors. One really has to track down the chippies that do it the old fashioned way, with quality non-frozen fish, fresh cut spuds and hot, CLEAN oil that's changed regularly and kept searingly hot and not just turned up to flash-fry a walk-in order. Too many lazy and cheap buggers just boil their frozen fish and soggy chips in oil.

You know you've been in Thailand too long when (think) you can tell the difference between certain rice as served. Not just old or overcooked but by taste and texture. I know Mrs Tam was quite put out by the limited varieties of rice for sale back in the UK and if it wasn't Thai, well fugedaboudit! Similarly, I miss the lack of choice of potatoes here beyond the 'imported' and 'new' ones. The different UK and US varieties like King Edwards, Charlotte, Russet, Maris Piper and the small red ones, simply broasted skin-on and served with  Mexican rotisserie chicken.

We only use rice from one farm in Surin.  Ship it by post if no relatives coming our way.  Totally different taste and smell.  Even an expat can tell the difference in the smell when cooking.  There are bugs in it if left for a while but the easy way to fix that is store it in a freezer.  So you need a chest freezer outside for flour and rice storage.  Electricity on them is almost nothing and the good ones you can switch from freezer to refrigerator if you need large refer space for a party.   

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I was comparing it to flake (shark), not suggesting it was superior to anything. Flake is popular for similar reasons that basa is popular for fish & chips in Australia - it's bland with a similar texture and it's cheap.

Note I'm talking about deep fried fish & chips, not steaks.

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If you have been to America you know that Chicago, NY or Detroit style pizza is not Italian.  Tex mex food is not Mexican.  Italian beef or a Polish sausage from Chicago is not Polish or Italian.  Louisiana creole or Cajun is neither French or African.   BBQ and smoking is distinctly American.  Good American beef (healthy or not) is not like beef from Australia.  The largest selling cut of beef in Texas is the Brisket and it is used in ways totally removed from the boiled or corned beef in the UK.  

British food was basically developed before refrigeration for use on ships.  Hard tack bully beef and things like that.  Not really edible unless at war in the 1700's.  The US always had ice so it was a different story there.  As a child I used to cute ice and store in a pit to last all summer. 

Pizza is pizza, the only difference between US pizza and Italian pizza is that Americans seem incapable of rolling the dough thin enough and insist on putting far too many and inappropriate toppings on it. Pinapple on pizza? Meh.

Creole & Cajun are a fusion of French and African cuisine.

I think Aussies would argue with you about the home of the barbecue. As for smoking meat, we Brits have been smoking hams since before we discovered America.

I have had this discussion with people from various countries and the general consensus is that Australian beef is superior to American beef but British beef is the best of all. We don't boil brisket, we stew it because it's the cheapest cut. Corned beef is Argentinian not British.

I've never seen hard tack bully beef , only beef jerky imported from the States.

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Lots of lobster, shrimp, mussels and scallops in in Thailand.  The only thing that Maine lobster has different is claws.  I mostly eat salmon or tuna in Thailand and stay away from the catfish. 

Lobster and shrimp has less taste in Thailand. Needs to be harvested from cold water. Mussels are nothing like European mussels. Mussels sold here are what we call in the UK New Zealand Green Lipped mussels . very different. I went for a meal in Patrick's on Friday night, the special was Moules frites. As Patrick is Belgian, I immediately ordered them. New Zealand Green Lipped, absolutely awful, called Patrick over and asked him if a Belgian would eat them. He took them away to the kitchen, tried them, came back and agreed that a Belgian wouldn't eat them. Apologised profusely and knocked them off the bill.

Archived