What is the first thing you eat when you go home?

darksidedog

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Pizza is pizza, the only difference between US pizza and Italian pizza is that Americans seem incapable of rolling the dough thin enough and insist on putting far too many and inappropriate toppings on it. Pinapple on pizza? Meh.

Creole & Cajun are a fusion of French and African cuisine.

I think Aussies would argue with you about the home of the barbecue. As for smoking meat, we Brits have been smoking hams since before we discovered America.

I have had this discussion with people from various countries and the general consensus is that Australian beef is superior to American beef but British beef is the best of all. We don't boil brisket, we stew it because it's the cheapest cut. Corned beef is Argentinian not British.

I've never seen hard tack bully beef , only beef jerky imported from the States.

Japan does a pretty mean steak too!

40 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Seen Warburtons crumpets and loaves in the freezer at Villa.

Correct with the frozen fish. The best one can do here is if you cannot assess how long it's been frozen then don't bother. If you do have a good handle on the age, only buy it if you plan on cooking it within a few days.

Siamburys in Pattaya usually have them 179 bt for a pack of 9,they advertise their products on their Facebook page. 

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Pizza is pizza, the only difference between US pizza and Italian pizza is that Americans seem incapable of rolling the dough thin enough and insist on putting far too many and inappropriate toppings on it. Pinapple on pizza? Meh.

Creole & Cajun are a fusion of French and African cuisine.

I think Aussies would argue with you about the home of the barbecue. As for smoking meat, we Brits have been smoking hams since before we discovered America.

I have had this discussion with people from various countries and the general consensus is that Australian beef is superior to American beef but British beef is the best of all. We don't boil brisket, we stew it because it's the cheapest cut. Corned beef is Argentinian not British.

I've never seen hard tack bully beef , only beef jerky imported from the States.

You don't roll pizza (rolling pizza would destroy the crusts).  Neapolitan pizza (original pizza) is nothing like NY or Chicago pizza neither of which have pineapple and are different enough to be a new genre. 

Australian beef is grass fed and nothing like American beef. 

Creole and Cajun food are distinctly American because it is the only place they exist in large quantity.  It is not African or French.  All food is a combination of some other food unless you go back to eating single cell organisms. 

I don't think anyone will confuse American BBQ with any other country.  

I didn't say American beef was better.  I said it is different than Australian beef.  Americans buy Australian beef when there is a beef shortage because it is cheaper than American beef.  If you cook it for a long time it is fine and comparable to American beef in a stew or slow cooked meat like Prime rib. 

Best beef?  Probably Japan.  I eat Kobe beef from the Tajima strain of Japanese Black cattle, raised in Japan's Hyōgo Prefecture according to rules set out by the Kobe Beef Marketing and Distribution Promotion Association.  

Depends on what you are looking for.  Rare beef butter tender?  Japanese Kobe.  Beef to chew all day long?  Australia. 

Grass fed and run around develops muscle and makes it tough. Kept in a cage and fed beer develops flavor and tenderness. 

Different people like different things. 

Are you looking for a uniquely American culinary experience? Barbecue is a centuries-old cuisine with dozens of variations and styles – and could be a strong contender for America’s quintessential food.

2% of American restaurants are BBQ restaurants or about 20,000.  How many in the rest of the world? 

https://www.chd-expert.com/blog/pit-plate-chd-expert-evaluates-u-s-bbq-restaurant-landscape/

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Lobster and shrimp has less taste in Thailand. Needs to be harvested from cold water. Mussels are nothing like European mussels. Mussels sold here are what we call in the UK New Zealand Green Lipped mussels . very different. I went for a meal in Patrick's on Friday night, the special was Moules frites. As Patrick is Belgian, I immediately ordered them. New Zealand Green Lipped, absolutely awful, called Patrick over and asked him if a Belgian would eat them. He took them away to the kitchen, tried them, came back and agreed that a Belgian wouldn't eat them. Apologised profusely and knocked them off the bill.

4 distinct kinds of lobster available in Thailand.  Which ones have you tried?  NZ mussels are the best in the world IMHO and they should be for the price. 

10 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Siamburys in Pattaya usually have them 179 bt for a pack of 9,they advertise their products on their Facebook page. 

They only sell locally produced crumpets. Occasionally a friend of the owner brings a few packs of Warburtons over (so the owner tells me, I've never seen them myself). A bit cheeky advertising them on Facebook (clickbait).

Just now, Spidey said:

They only sell locally produced crumpets. Occasionally a friend of the owner brings a few packs of Warburtons over (so the owner tells me, I've never seen them myself). A bit cheeky advertising them on Facebook (clickbait).

Why not make your own?  All you need is a burner.  Not difficult to make and fresh is always better. 

I always found chinese takeaway to be inedible in the UK..usually a horrible greasy mess, maybe that's the way that the asian proprietors thought that brits like their food...

however the chinese were tip top with the fish and chip shops...rarely found one with good food that was run by white folks, everything horribly soggy with grease, there was a place in Derby near our house that was an exception...when I useta go to Brighton for visits I'd hit the chinese chippie after the corner bangladeshi curry house...most of the time would just head down to Waitrose and cook at home, a nice pork roast with stuffing, roast tatties and sprouts for sunday lunch with bisto gravy...nice after some pints of Harvey's at the local pub...

Just now, marcusarelus said:

4 distinct kinds of lobster available in Thailand.  Which ones have you tried?  NZ mussels are the best in the world IMHO and they should be for the price. 

NZ mussels are bigger but have a lot less flavour than European mussels.

Only tried lobster a couple of times over here, didn't like it, wouldn't waste my money on them. 

As I said, fish, crabs, lobster and most shellfish tend to have less flavour if harvested in warm waters than those harvested in cold waters.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Why not make your own?  All you need is a burner.  Not difficult to make and fresh is always better. 

Home made crumpets sold at Siamsburys, wife and I had them for breakfast this morning. Impossible to replicate Warburtons crumpets.

34 minutes ago, Spidey said:

No way pizza is pizza, that's like saying Chinese food in Beijing is the same as Chinese food in China Town in SF, they're totally different things - or that fish and chips in Chiang Mai is the same as fish and chips in Bridlington, not even distant relatives. And Italian food in almost anywhere outside of Europe is very different to Italian food in the heartland of Italy, ask any Italian who lives there who tried it.

But back to pizza. A deep dish from say Buddy's or Shields in Chicago or Detroit pizza is not even closely related to a thin crust pizza you'd find in Milan or Turin, they look different, taste different, are different shapes and contain different ingredients, they are worlds apart

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

http://www.pattaya-pies.com/   No good? 

I have found a number of places in Thailand to buy them are they all not good?

In the 16 years I've lived in Thailand I've tried a whole host of expat foods including sausages, pies and Cornish pasties, almost all are poor imitations of the real thing, some are poorer imitations than others - I've seen the pasties in the Rimping supermarket freezer and I've tried a few, bleh! 

17 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You don't roll pizza (rolling pizza would destroy the crusts).  Neapolitan pizza (original pizza) is nothing like NY or Chicago pizza neither of which have pineapple and are different enough to be a new genre. 

Australian beef is grass fed and nothing like American beef. 

Creole and Cajun food are distinctly American because it is the only place they exist in large quantity.  It is not African or French.  All food is a combination of some other food unless you go back to eating single cell organisms. 

I don't think anyone will confuse American BBQ with any other country.  

I didn't say American beef was better.  I said it is different than Australian beef.  Americans buy Australian beef when there is a beef shortage because it is cheaper than American beef.  If you cook it for a long time it is fine and comparable to American beef in a stew or slow cooked meat like Prime rib. 

Best beef?  Probably Japan.  I eat Kobe beef from the Tajima strain of Japanese Black cattle, raised in Japan's Hyōgo Prefecture according to rules set out by the Kobe Beef Marketing and Distribution Promotion Association.  

Depends on what you are looking for.  Rare beef butter tender?  Japanese Kobe.  Beef to chew all day long?  Australia. 

Grass fed and run around develops muscle and makes it tough. Kept in a cage and fed beer develops flavor and tenderness. 

Different people like different things. 

Are you looking for a uniquely American culinary experience? Barbecue is a centuries-old cuisine with dozens of variations and styles – and could be a strong contender for America’s quintessential food.

2% of American restaurants are BBQ restaurants or about 20,000.  How many in the rest of the world? 

https://www.chd-expert.com/blog/pit-plate-chd-expert-evaluates-u-s-bbq-restaurant-landscape/

Too lazy to cook at home?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Where can you buy Warburtons crumpets in Thailand? Answer please as my wife is desperate!

Can't see how you can have fish and chips here that are better than back at home. Good fish and chips are made with fresh cod or haddock. Not available in Thailand. Frozen fish is a poor substitute.

Barracuda, Snapper, John Dorey to name a few and far better than cod.  I'll agree with you on haddock though.  

My mother (93) lives in Hull and comes to Thailand for 3 months every year and she agrees that you can get better fish and chips here.  Of course you have to search for it but once you've found someone who uses traditional 'beer batter' and a good fillet with 'real' chips and mushy peas, you've cracked it.

My mum used to work in Bird's Eye for many years.  It was that job that put her off cod for life.  Worms are prevalent although safe when cooked.

I've bought Warburton's in Villa (not cheap) but I do like Giant Warburton's which I have to wait for my daughter to bring from the UK.

Just now, simoh1490 said:

No way pizza is pizza, that's like saying Chinese food in Beijing is the same as Chinese food in China Town in SF, they're totally different things - or that fish and chips in Chiang Mai is the same as fish and chips in Bridlington, not even distant relatives. And Italian food in almost anywhere outside of Europe is very different to Italian food in the heartland of Italy, ask any Italian who lives there who tried it.

But back to pizza. A deep dish from say Buddy's or Shields in Chicago or Detroit pizza is not even closely related to a thin crust pizza you'd find in Milan or Turin, they look different, taste different, are different shapes and contain different ingredients, they are worlds apart

I've spent a fair bit of time in Italy and totally agree with you. I've eaten pizza in Pisa that was incomparably better than pizza that I've eaten in any other country, I've eaten ice cream in Naples that was the best ice cream I've ever had. I've eaten pasta in Sorrento that was quite simply the best pasta in the world.

So, yes food styles made outside their country of origin are very different to the genuine article, they're s***!

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

NZ mussels are bigger but have a lot less flavour than European mussels.

Only tried lobster a couple of times over here, didn't like it, wouldn't waste my money on them. 

As I said, fish, crabs, lobster and most shellfish tend to have less flavour if harvested in warm waters than those harvested in cold waters.

4 kinds of lobster available in Thailand and you don't know what kind you tried but it is no good.  Scallops cheap and available have you tried those?  I think you are letting your ingrained sense of colonial superiority get in the way of reality. 

Buy the lobster live on the East coast of Thailand (slipper tails are cheap) cook in a steamer (not overcook) and serve with drawn butter.  Scallops clean and saute briefly with butter and chopped herbs of your choice serve in the shell.  Wonderful.  Zen Japanese restaurant serves them.  Same for crab.  Buy them live and steam them.  

Crab 2.jpg

SlipperLobster.jpg

I watched a program on TV recently where three traditional Italian families from rural Italy were asked to sample Italian food made to recipes formulated overseas, their reactions were all the same and quite funny, to say they were critical of the food they were asked to sample is a massive understatement.

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

I watched a program on TV recently where three traditional Italian families from rural Italy were asked to sample Italian food made to recipes formulated overseas, their reactions were all the same and quite funny, to say they were critical of the food they were asked to sample is a massive understatement.

They are so different as to be different genre.  Chicago style pizza and Neapolitan totally different.  Not able to judge in the same catagory.  

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

4 kinds of lobster available in Thailand and you don't know what kind you tried but it is no good.  Scallops cheap and available have you tried those?  I think you are letting your ingrained sense of colonial superiority get in the way of reality. 

No I'm letting my knowledge that cold water crustaceans  are far better than warm water crustaceans. European Lobster as a species is only fished in the Northern Hemisphere. Spiny Lobsters and Slipper Lobsters aren't even real lobsters (different genus).

Archived