First extension of non oa visa

20 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Have you already done your second year on your O-A visa? 

3 minutes ago, Yasobill said:

Yes, it is my first renewal since receiving my visa from the Thai consulate in LA. 

Just to be clear then. You've already been in Thailand almost 2 years?

8 minutes ago, Yasobill said:

No, coming up on one year in country

What is the 'enter before date' on your Visa?

If you do a border run just before the 'enter before' date you'll be stamped in for another year.

A multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay). Valid 1 year. Can be issued to those who are over 50 who intend to remain in Thailand for long periods. This Visa allows unlimited 1 year entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’.

If you leave and re-enter just before the ‘enter before’ date of this Visa type you are granted another 1 year permission to stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand during this 2nd year permission to stay period.

This is because when the Visa expires on the ‘enter before’ date, so does the ME facility which is only valid for the duration of the Visas validity (1 year)

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 24 months with this Visa type.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yasobill said:

Enter before 19 November 2018

Then you have the option to exit and immediately re-enter (on or before November 19th) country to get another 1 year permit to stay.

• You can apply for a 1 year extension at immigration if you don't want to do a border run.
  • If you decide to do a border run you can defer having to apply for the 1 year extension of stay for another year.
Edited by elviajero

1 minute ago, Yasobill said:

If extend through border cross, No requirement for security deposit then?

Correct.

The validity of a Visa and the validity of permission to stay are separate from each other.

The period of visa validity is different from the period of stayVisa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.  Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau

5 minutes ago, Yasobill said:

If extend through border cross, No requirement for security deposit then?

Yes. You do not need to prove income or have money in the bank.

Just exit and return and they will stamp you in for 1 more year. Doing a "border cross" as close to November 19th will maximise your stay using the visa. I wouldn't recommend leaving it to the last day; a week or so before the the 19th would be ideal. However, you can do it anytime between now and then.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

OP

I was in your situation almost a year ago:
OA visa enter before date 16/10/2017.
I did a border run to Myanmar 26/09/2017 ,
very simple, walked across the border, said “ border run “ to the girl in the transport office and 10 minutes later a guy took me over the border in a pickup, got my passport stamped in Myanmar and drove me back.
Entered Thailand on foot and got a “ admitted until “ stamp till 25/09/2018, going for my first extension next week.

Very quick and easy, the border run took probably 30 minutes at the most and by doing this I got almost 2 years ( 23 months actually) from my OA visa.

REMEMBER: when your OA visa expires ( November 19th 2018 ) you will need a re-entry permit to enter Thailand if you leave the country after this date.

25 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

OP

I was in your situation almost a year ago:
OA visa enter before date 16/10/2017.
I did a border run to Myanmar 26/09/2017 ,
very simple, walked across the border, said “ border run “ to the girl in the transport office and 10 minutes later a guy took me over the border in a pickup, got my passport stamped in Myanmar and drove me back.
Entered Thailand on foot and got a “ admitted until “ stamp till 25/09/2018, going for my first extension next week.

Very quick and easy, the border run took probably 30 minutes at the most and by doing this I got almost 2 years ( 23 months actually) from my OA visa.

REMEMBER: when your OA visa expires ( November 19th 2018 ) you will need a re-entry permit to enter Thailand if you leave the country after this date.

Just to expand that a bit if ok with you.

When you get the 1 year entry you continue 90 day reports but if you have to have weekends or whatever outside Thailand you can get a re-entry permit from the airport or local Imm'

1000 baht single

3800 baht multi.

7 hours ago, Yasobill said:

Got it... you guys are awesome!

Thank you all so much!

Bill

If, having made a border run in November to obtain a further permission to stay expiring in November 2019, you are planning any more foreign trips during this 12-month period, you will need to obtain a re-entry permit in order to preserve the November 2019 permission to stay. Failure to do this would mean that you would only receive the standard 30-day visa-exempt permission to stay upon your return to Thailand.