What are your favorite international internet radio stations?

Jingthing

I'm not exactly a music fanatic but I've been enjoying sampling many of the international stations from Surfmusic:

http://www.surfmusic.de/

The hardest part for me has been finding the best stations for my personal eclectic taste. I've been sampling mostly stations labeled MIX but sometimes try more specific categories as well. Such as jazz, blues, Latin, etc. I've yet to find a rock station I like.

Many of the U.S. stations aren't directly accessible with the Listen Live button so I don't bother with any of them. 

Recently the two stations I've been listening to most are Evasion Paris and Galgalatz Tel Aviv (which is featured right on the front page of the site). 

I don't like the stations that are purely canned music categories and not "real" radio stations.

So I'm wondering if others could share what they've found to be their favorite internet available stations.

Like I said, I like to mix it up.

Edited by Jingthing

Something I came across lately that I've found myself using a lot is a free service and app called MyTuner, which is kind of like a TuneIn service except more international than TuneIn. But in addition, MyTuner has a very good selection of U.S. radio station content, and plays very well here. And one feature I always look for is the ability to keep a local Favorites list, which this service supports.

MyTuner has a web version, Windows version, Android app version, and versions in the Apple and Amazon app stores. Works great on my Fire TV devices and on my Android TV devices.

https://mytuner-radio.com/

https://mytuner-radio.com/search/?q=San+Francisco's+70s+Hit

• Thanks 1

I’m really enjoying Jonesey’s Jukebox (Steve Jones, Sex Pistols). Brilliant interviewer, he asks the kind of questions I myself would ask.

This one with Dave Davies is just one of many great ones he’s been doing:

Another great interview to check out is Jonesy with Rick Springfield. They jam some Shadows at the end - excellent stuff!

Edited by aircooledflat4

radioechoes.com  not a music station but 1000's of Oldtime radio shows.

in a lot of different categories,detectives,adventure, thrillers,Western,SiFi

comedy,historical, etc ect.  Rember Dick Barton,special agent,Bulldog Drummond,

Basil Rathbone,Nigel Bruce, Holmes and Watson.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Might wanna' check out   Radio Dos (Radio2)  Costa Rica.  Been listening for 10+ years & has

some exceptional Dj-ing going-on, ... at least imo.  Can't go wrong by giving a listen. Cheers

RadioTunes, no contest.

With satellite specialty stations, all for one login ID and password, free or paid:

RadioTunes main site: 100 channels

Jazz Radio: 35 channels

Classical Radio: 50 channels

Rock Radio: 35 channels

DI.FM: 96 channels (digital FM)

All channels have directors.

A free account is not bad at 64 kbps AAC, paid account: 128 kbps AAC or 320 kbps MP3 quality.

It's state-of-the-art internet radio IMO with great apps for mobile devices.  I've been using it since 2012 as a paid member.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Another good website with a wide range of free and pretty much commercial free music is 181.FM, where each online station is dedicated to a particular genre of music. And there are dozens of stations of all flavors.

181.FM doesn't appear to have its own apps, but its stations are accessible through its own website and at least several of the broad online radio apps, including the MyTuner app and website I mentioned in a prior post here. I think 181.FM's stations also are available via TuneIn, and can be played via ITunes and Winamp.

http://www.181.fm/

http://www.181.fm is quite good. An American slant I think though, a lot of country stations. 

If you buy an Internet radio it will (should) already have thousands of stations ready, from Peru to Japan, including all the BBC stations, even a couple of UK student radio stations (mine does)! That was how I found 181.fm in the first place. 

For old-fashioned radio, eg, news, info and decent live DJs, you can't beat RTHK Radio 3, Hong Kong's public broadcaster, if you're in Asia. I'm a regular listener of always-amusing Steve James in the late afternoon and Money Talk in the mornings.  I find automated, voice tracked internet radio cold and impersonal. RTHK can be heard online on their app. 

Also, I tune into Surf 102.5 in Hua Hin, as well as AXR, out of Singaporre, which unfortunately is voice-tracked and plays too much thump-thump and teen music.  

A potentially excellent thread ruined by the crass idea that radio is confined to music. I listen to radio for drama, news, comedy,  current affairs, weather ..never music. Listen to this poetry I have been listening to for 6 decades.  It is The weather mantra that defines true Brits. Brilliant! 

Edited 3 minutes ago by The manic

Reply to this topic...