CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

Regarding an original consular affadavit, as NancyL has written one affadavit "should  do" considering the period in which it remains valid.  Caution, however!  Normally an original affadavit would be attached to the first transaction, the change to an NI-O visa --- and filed in the Bureau's landfill somewhere with the application for the 90-day NI-O visa!  However, another original affadavit might be required later for a 12-month visa based on retirement.  A copy of the original might not be accepted for this second transaction.  This caution is suggested by at least one experience recently in a somewhat different situation in which a later transaction required a second original bank letter. A copy was not acceptable. Odd?  Yes!  Annoying (at a high cost)? Yes!

This should be checked out soon and definitely before 31 December by Americans seeking affidavits before the cut-off date who have or are making consular appointments.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NancyL wrote:  "There was a recent report of someone converting a tourist visa to a non-O at CM Immigration very easily.  This used to be a difficult process to do at CM Imm.  The cost for the conversion is 2000 baht."  That's without using an agent.  An acquaintance seeking to do this within the past six months priced the process with one of the more reliable agents who wanted an exorbitant fee.  As I recall, the fee was somewhere in the neighborhood of Bt20k (whch included the Immigration fees).  She decided to return to her home country to get an NI-O visa.  Her return was planned anyway, so there was no problem in this case.

1 hour ago, Mapguy said:

NancyL wrote:  "There was a recent report of someone converting a tourist visa to a non-O at CM Immigration very easily.  This used to be a difficult process to do at CM Imm.  The cost for the conversion is 2000 baht."  That's without using an agent.  An acquaintance seeking to do this within the past six months priced the process with one of the more reliable agents who wanted an exorbitant fee.  As I recall, the fee was somewhere in the neighborhood of Bt20k (whch included the Immigration fees).  She decided to return to her home country to get an NI-O visa.  Her return was planned anyway, so there was no problem in this case.

Yes, a friend of ours. Another quote was 18,000 baht.

And even more surprising they had brought funds in to Thailand in cash and converted to Thai baht.

Immigration accepted the receipts issued for the change of currency! And yes, it was a transfer from a tourist visa to Non O 90 days pending change to extension of stay based on retirement.

3 hours ago, cusanus said:

Oh yeah, I forgot, you can get the non-O in Thailand now. But think the 800,000 baht must be on deposit for at least 90 days. Originally, I had no trouble getting an account at Bangkok Bank on a tourist visa, explaining the non-O was pending and I needed to bring in the moolah, so you might give that a try.  It looks like the income letters may not suffice among other things, so I keep 800,000 baht in the bank. As for overseas bank statements, yeah, kind of scary isn't it, because you can't be sure what they'll approve or not. Originally, I got the non-O/retirement visa just by showing overseas bank statements with recurring income and periodic transfers and a bank letter, but was always a bit nervous so started keeping 800,000 baht in a fixed account. That's surely the most secure method. 

For the first extension, the money needs to be on deposit for just two months, not three.  And it's not 90 days, but three calendar months.  

I suggest that someone having difficulty opening a bank account go to Bangkok Bank Kad Suan Kaew and explain that they need to open the account in order to bring in 800,000 baht in order to convert a tourist visa into a 90-day O visa.  This branch is very foreign-retiree friendly.

13 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Yes, a friend of ours. Another quote was 18,000 baht.

And even more surprising they had brought funds in to Thailand in cash and converted to Thai baht.

Immigration accepted the receipts issued for the change of currency! And yes, it was a transfer from a tourist visa to Non O 90 days pending change to extension of stay based on retirement.

The days of agents charging high fees to convert a tourist visa to a 90-day O visa seem to be over since Big Jok is in charge.  There is a recent report of someone doing it within a couple hours in Chiang Mai with just the standard gov't charge of 2000 baht.  No need to use an agent to do this.

13 minutes ago, NancyL said:

The days of agents charging high fees to convert a tourist visa to a 90-day O visa seem to be over since Big Jok is in charge.  There is a recent report of someone doing it within a couple hours in Chiang Mai with just the standard gov't charge of 2000 baht.  No need to use an agent to do this.

Three more members of the same family to go when their funds are seasoned. Lets hope the current situation continues, ever the optimist but TIT and this is ChiangMai.

8 hours ago, NancyL said:

There was a recent report of someone converting a tourist visa to a non-O at CM Immigration very easily.  This used to be a difficult process to do at CM Imm.  The cost for the conversion is 2000 baht.

As mentioned CM Imm may not be impressed with overseas bank statements.  It would be best to open a bank account in Thailand and transfer 800,000 baht soon so that it can age for at least 2 months, the length of time needed for the first extension of a non-O.  After that the money should age at least 3 months.

The income letter should be OK for the initial conversion but money in the bank in Thailand will be the best way to secure future extensions since the situation is so unsettled about what EXACTLY CM Imm will accept next year for proof of income once Consulate/Embassy letters are discontinued.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.  I may need to consider paying to get 2 original affidavits from the American consulate then.

I will try again to open a bank account with my current Single Entry Tourist Visa but no luck so far.

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

For the first extension, the money needs to be on deposit for just two months, not three.  And it's not 90 days, but three calendar months.  

I suggest that someone having difficulty opening a bank account go to Bangkok Bank Kad Suan Kaew and explain that they need to open the account in order to bring in 800,000 baht in order to convert a tourist visa into a 90-day O visa.  This branch is very foreign-retiree friendly.

Hi Nancy,

I did try the BK bank in KSK. They told me I need a Non Imm O visa, then I can open it. Is there a particular bank officer there that I should ask for?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

I am going to do it myself next week. 

One interesting thing is that CM Immigration raised their fee for the Residency Certificate to 1,000 from 500. Otherwise, I'm told the wait is about 5 weeks currently to get the free one.

59 minutes ago, SiamAndy said:

Hi Nancy, I did try... They told me I need a Non Imm O visa, then I can open it. Is there a particular bank officer there that I should ask for?

I know it's been a very long time since I did this. I did it at the Mae Rim branch as I lived near there. I didn't have the Non-O for a few months because the person who was supposed to help me instead turned out to sabotage the effort, so I was stuck. Anyway, I didn't have to show any Thai bank account just to get the Non-O as I remember, not sure but maybe I showed my US bank statement to show recurring income. Maybe I should just keep a lid on it.  

41 minutes ago, cusanus said:

I know it's been a very long time since I did this. I did it at the Mae Rim branch as I lived near there. I didn't have the Non-O for a few months because the person who was supposed to help me instead turned out to sabotage the effort, so I was stuck. Anyway, I didn't have to show any Thai bank account just to get the Non-O as I remember, not sure but maybe I showed my US bank statement to show recurring income. Maybe I should just keep a lid on it.  

I will say that each experience is unique here and that there is consistency in their inconsistency!

14 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Hi Nancy,

I did try the BK bank in KSK. They told me I need a Non Imm O visa, then I can open it. Is there a particular bank officer there that I should ask for?

Thanks.

They may be tightening up, also, especially for U.S. customers.  Ask for Sombat, the assistant manager.  Explain clearly that you need the account to bring in 800,000 baht immediately to qualify for a retirement visa.  That may not have been clear to the person you talked with.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

They may be tightening up, also, especially for U.S. customers.  Ask for Sombat, the assistant manager.  Explain clearly that you need the account to bring in 800,000 baht immediately to qualify for a retirement visa.  That may not have been clear to the person you talked with.

Thanks very much Nancy. I will give it a go tomorrow.

16 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Thanks very much Nancy. I will give it a go tomorrow.

I think they won't open bank account to tourists anymore because the average tourist doesn't have much money in their bank account and they only stay for a short term so it's a waste of time for the bank to maintain your account.

However, if you were to tell them the real purpose of the bank account which is to bring in 800k for retirement purpose, they should be more than happy to oblige and You won't be considered a tourist anymore.

Yes, Kad Suan Kaew branch seems to have the biggest number of retirees with an account there in Chiang Mai. I see a lot of farangs whenever I go there.

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

I think they won't open bank account to tourists anymore because the average tourist doesn't have much money in their bank account and they only stay for a short term so it's a waste of time for the bank to maintain your account. However, if you were to tell them the real purpose of the bank account which is to bring in 800k for retirement purpose, they should be more than happy to oblige and You won't be considered a tourist anymore.

Yes, Kad Suan Kaew branch seems to have the biggest number of retirees with an account there in Chiang Mai...

That's how I did it 14 years ago at the Mai Rim branch. Every social security recipient gets an annual statement of benefits which should be helpful, also  a 1099 and any other pension you should get a 1099. 

On 11/4/2018 at 3:11 PM, SiamAndy said:

Thanks Thailand and Sparkles for your feedback.

Trust all went well?

Chinese grandfather this time. ????  Went to Kad Suan Kaew branch Bangkok Bank today. Passport and residence certificate in hand and opened his new account to which he will be remitting funds for Non O 90 day visa and subsequent extension of stay based on retirement with no problems.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:02 PM, NancyL said:

Hi Nancy,  thanks for your feedback and guidance.

Khun Sombat was very nice. I had my lease with me, my passport, and a copy showing my appointment with the American Consulate  later this week. Khun Sombat said he could open the account for me if I got an affidavit for opening an account from the American Consulate or a residency certificate from CM Immigration.

I had already tried previously to get the residency certificate from CM Immigration but the price went up to 1000Baht if you wanted the 24-48 hour turnaround. They then wouldn't let me request the free one which takes 4-5 weeks. The reason they mentioned is because it will be close to the date (2 weeks?) that my visa runs out. They said I would need to do a tourist visa extension first.

So I will either bite the bullet and pay the 1000Baht for the residency certificate or pay $50 and get the Affidavit for opening a bank account from the American Consulate. It would be easier to pay a little more to the consulate as I'm going there anyway.

In addition to Nancy, thanks to Ericth, Cusanus, Thailand and Sparkles for their input.

3 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Hi Nancy,  thanks for your feedback and guidance.

Khun Sombat was very nice. I had my lease with me, my passport, and a copy showing my appointment with the American Consulate  later this week. Khun Sombat said he could open the account for me if I got an affidavit for opening an account from the American Consulate or a residency certificate from CM Immigration.

I had already tried previously to get the residency certificate from CM Immigration but the price went up to 1000Baht if you wanted the 24-48 hour turnaround. They then wouldn't let me request the free one which takes 4-5 weeks. The reason they mentioned is because it will be close to the date (2 weeks?) that my visa runs out. They said I would need to do a tourist visa extension first.

So I will either bite the bullet and pay the 1000Baht for the residency certificate or pay $50 and get the Affidavit for opening a bank account from the American Consulate. It would be easier to pay a little more to the consulate as I'm going there anyway.

In addition to Nancy, thanks to Ericth, Cusanus, Thailand and Sparkles for their input.

You might try contacting one of the visa agents to see what they charge to obtain a residency certificate and how long it might take.

7 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

You might try contacting one of the visa agents to see what they charge to obtain a residency certificate and how long it might take.

"Free" residence certificates can be obtained within 24 hours by most agents for around 1000baht.

3 minutes ago, Thailand said:

It was 500 baht earlier in the year! Another job for BJ perhaps? ????

1000 baht is certainly way too much for something that takes 2 minutes to complete. I hope they go back to 500 baht.

If BJ can address this, then more power to him!

8 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Years back the young guy who now works for GT4 and was previously one  of Immigrations staff did mine in his lunchtime at the temporary office opp  Promenda while I waited. It took no more than 3 mins .

I tipped him a 100 baht for his courtesy and help that meant I did not to have to come back next day it was free then.

Now we they have a sign at the new building  that says "NO TIPS"..... just pay 1,000 baht. 

If you are eligible get a yellow book as I did 6 years ago ,saves a lot of hassles.

Agree; Yellow Book saves a lot of hassle despite the naysayers comments about it.

On 11/6/2018 at 7:32 AM, Thailand said:

It was 500 baht earlier in the year! Another job for BJ perhaps? ????

Does immigration provide express service for residence cert these days at the new building?

I mean immigration could provide two services , one free and one with a fee.

Archived