Phuket now has a world class shopping hub

webfact

Phuket now has a world class shopping hub

By Tim Newton

41426720_291964371520335_310344526244662

The population of Thailand is around 70 million people. I think most of them were at the opening night of the new Central Floresta yesterday.

As far as openings go this must have put a smile on the Central owners and management involved in bringing this new shopping experience to fruition – it was a triumph in every respect.

If you were driving past over the weekend you must have thought, as I did, that there was no way the new shining light of the Central Pattana Group was possibly going to be ready. Little did we know that the hard work was all happening behind the facade and once the scaffolding came down on Sunday, voila, there it was.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/phuket-now-has-a-world-class-shopping-hub

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-09-11

?  Hardly surprising that it was packed, everyone looking for something new to look at.

Seemed to me that food places did well as everyone has to eat but I didn't see many carrying bags of goodies bought from the shops.

Do we really need 3 Top's supermarkets?

Looked to me like half the shops in the old one had just moved their stock over there so not much new in the Central part.

The old Central already looks like it's heading in the way of Big C.

Very disappointed.And not happy with the bird cages, does anyone know if that's going to be a permanent arrangement?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

It will probably end up like Prom in CM empty and expensive with only immigration rammed to capacity until they go on the 24th?

Since this Central is an expansion from the one next door, I very much doubt it.

I have been there yesterday, I love the decorations and concept, which were demonstrated Traditional Thai and luxury at the same time. Moreover, I heard that theme park and aqurium going to open at Central Phuket Floresta soon. What a big move from Central?!!!

On 12 September 2018 at 10:17 PM, sebastion said:

Thailand's malls are nothing more than brand graveyard's.
Western world brands come here to die a slow death.
Short flight to Singapore and shop your heart out and it's cheaper.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Even after import duties?

I didn't have a proper look around but first impressions were exactly as Xylophone's. The shops just weren't appealing. The ground floor was a large space of nothingness, the only people being young Thai girls screaming at an out of tune singer, apparently from The Voice. Well, his training hadn't worked!

I haven't checked the food outlets but maybe they are more appealing.

It seems to me that Central Group have too much money and this is simply a show of their size and importance. Maybe in a year or so when more shops open and the ground floor is also filled with shops (it is bound to happen) my opinion may be different but for now I'll stick to the old place.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, xylophone said:

I went there yesterday and thought it was an absolute waste of space and money and if Victor Gruen was around, he would have been appalled at what he saw.

Far too much wasted space and the shops were not positioned well enough to be able to give one the feeling that one had to shop, in fact I saw hardly anyone shopping, most were just walking and looking, apart from the few Chinese around the place who were making use of the chairs and sofas dotted about, for their afternoon naps..........yes, sleeping, much as they do in the likes of Starbucks and other places.

Speaking of the Chinese, it is still very probable that they will be bussed to the huge "duty-free" emporiums around the place rather than setting foot here where the drivers won't get commission/kickbacks.

Phuket needed this place like a moose needs a hat-rack and I can't see a good future for it, despite all of the money that has been spent.

In fact I walked back over to the old Central building and felt much more "comfortable" there.

PS. It also suffered from the usual Thai building standards, with buckets and flower pots dotted around to catch the rain leaking through the roof!

Can't say that I will change my opinion just yet but today discovered the basement area (three other friends didn't know it existed either) with a huge food market as well as the supermarket.

The food market was busy and the menu looked very good and reasonably priced, and the supermarket was also good, although there were goods at the original one which were not available there??

Upstairs, the ground and first floors suffered from too much space and too few people...…..with nothing really to catch the eye.

Early days as the saying goes...…although something to do with elephants comes to mind!

• Like 1

Ground floor they can't rent. Too expensive.
500k -800k per month. Yes those are the prices.
They expected big brands to lease the space and not one shop has taken it up.
Basement is the only success. Local food hall.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Phuket- the Hub of Hubs. I've lost count.

Mind you it does have an active volcano- well it was the other day. ????

Just as a matter of interest what's the score with vehicle parking as opposed to bikes?

Edited by Psimbo

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Phuket- the Hub of Hubs. I've lost count.

Mind you it does have an active volcano- well it was the other day. ????

Just as a matter of interest what's the score with vehicle parking as opposed to bikes?

I went on Sunday and the car park was almost empty on level 2 and a half. I don't know how many parking floors there are. And the old Central is also much easier to park now.