Have Thai Car License, Now Aiming For Motorbike License

OliverKlozerof

I live in BKK. I've had a Thai (car) driver's license for about 5 years. Now want to get a motorcycle license. (I know how to ride an automatic scooter.) I've watched a couple videos showing the driving test, which looks pretty easy.

Questions:

• Not having a motorcycle license, what do you do for a bike to take the driving test on? Do most people go with a friend who has a bike and license? Can I rent a motorbike somewhere in BKK with just a Thai car license, ride it to the DMV and use it to take the test with?

• Is the written test the same as for cars? (If no, is there a motorbike test online?) Having a Thai car license already, will I have to take the written test again?

• Is there a checklist of things I'll need to bring with? I think one of those ridiculous 'doctor's healthy certificates' is required. Anything else? (I imagine there are a few reasonable fees involved.)

Thx.

50 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

1.  Not having a motorcycle license, what do you do for a bike to take the driving test on?

2.  Do most people go with a friend who has a bike and license?

3.  Can I rent a motorbike somewhere in BKK with just a Thai car license, ride   it to the DMV and use it to take the test with?

4.  Is the written test the same as for cars?

5.  Having a Thai car license already, will I have to take the written test again?

6.   Is there a checklist of things I'll need to bring with?

7. I think one of those ridiculous 'doctor's healthy certificates' is required.? 

8.  imagine there are a few reasonable fees involved.?

1. Same as car computer screen test first..

2. Good thing to do.

3. Probably but will be fine and maybe bike impounded.

4. Yes.

5. Yes.

6. Same as you did for car.

7. Maybe depends on the DLT office.

8. Forget but m/c licence cheaper than car.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Walk in the park.. just make through the video presentations..

Some of the  questions and answers in the theory test (English version)

just don't make sense or are plain wrong !

So if the computer asks the same questions again..my theory is that you got that one wrong..so don't answer the same way as before  or you'll have 2 wrong  out of the allowed 5 ( 45/50) for a pass...if you don't pass they might let you try again same day...or tell you to come back tomorrow...until you do.

Just now, OliverKlozerof said:

That necessitates riding it to the Dept. of Land Transport unlicensed. Seems like many must do this. (TIT, after all.) You think no problem to do this?

I did it..I'd say at least 95% of the riders I have seen at the DLT  have taken their own bikes.. a few borrowed each others bike or cars..problem with that is its an unfamiliar vehicle ..you aren't used to the size, weight, handling differences,  brakes and clutch etc etc... but really  the only slightly difficult part of the bike practical test is to drive along a long straight thin raised strip of concrete without falling off or putting your foot down, other than that its just driving slowly round a circuit stopping at stop signs and indicating correctly..you have to wear a helmet   but don't even have to do an emergency stop..or show use of mirrors or "life saver"  look over shoulder before turning.

At the moment even if you are stopped for having no licence to or from the DLT the fine is small,they'll even let you drive to the police station to pay it !