Video: Beg-packing or just hitching? Foreigners with "no money" spark debate

webfact

Video: Beg-packing or just hitching? Foreigners with "no money" spark debate

3PM.jpg

video screenshot

Debate was rife on Facebook after a Thai taxi driver posted a video of some western backpackers with a cardboard sign saying "Kanchanaburi" in Thai and English.

When the taxi driver wound down the window a male tourist says simply" "No money".

He is not angry; he seems vaguely amused by the antics of the foreigners.

Comment on the story was split between those who just saw this as hitchhiking and others who condemned the tourists for coming to Thailand with no money and taking advantage.

"Nutdarin" fell into the latter camp making a play on the words for traveling and urinating:

"You're peeing on my country. You don't want to spend even one baht. Don't you want us to have your money?", she said.

"Toei" defended them saying: "They are just trying to be economical. They will spend money on other things".

"Vorapoj" posted in English saying: "You say no money. If you don't have money can you give your watch, sunglasses and bra...OK let's go!"

"Marcu" who appeared to be a foreigner called them "stupid farangs". "How can you travel without money?" he moaned.

"Sebastian" commented reasonably saying: "They just want to get a free ride by hitchhiking. They have money but don't want to spend it on a taxi".

The subject of "beg-packing" - foreigners trying to get money to pay for their travels - have caused widespread debate in Thailand in recent years.

What is your view?

Source: Facebook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-12

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I hitchhiked around Canada when I was kid but would of never attempted it in a foreign country. Now, you rarely see it back home due to all the predators on the roads.  After all the news about nasty events happening to foreigners here imho I believe you have to be a little brain dead to do it here. If something bad happens to these people, they won't have my sympathy at all.

• Like 1