Video: Beg-packing or just hitching? Foreigners with "no money" spark debate

webfact

The other day, a flat tire made me fear that I would have to flag down some bus / van / car to get a ride into the next town. Returning with a recovery vehicle to fetch the bike...

But a gas station attendant called a guy who came in a truck and replaced the inner tube. 10 minutes later, I was on my way.

Not all foreigners trying to hitch a ride want it for FREE. Maybe I should have tried waving a 500 THB note?

Took a 3rd class train ride from Bangkok to Nong Khai. Hell. Hard seats and a young Thai doing the man spread thing, touching for hours. But hey, it was less than 300 THB.

13 hours ago, malibukid said:

i have been offered rides by Thai's when they have seen me with my cat in his carrier while waiting for a songthew.  very nice.

I've gotten lifts when walking in Udon Thani. By bikers and car drivers alike.

Once, in a village far away from Udon thani, the 2 song taews were doing transport runs. A government employee gave me a ride and refused payment.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

People complain about anything now,in the 60's and 70's

I hitchhiked quite a lot, and nobody seen it as doing 

anything wrong, bit more dangerous in this day and age

but,things were simpler then.

regards Worgeordie

did my share of hitching and picking up while in college in Rhode Island.  We lived off campus as did many students and it was extremely common to pick up people on the way into or home from the University.  Met some nice people, even got some dates out of it.  1976-1980 we be talking here

Everyone always talks about how they used to hitchhike "back in the day" with no problems at all.

But you have to remember, now is not "back in the day" anymore ! Things have changed and it is nowhere near as easy, or safe, to hitchhike like it used to be "back in the day".

Society has changed, almost everywhere, and it's probably as dangerous, these days, to pick up a hitchhiker as it is to be a hitchhiker.

I hitched around a bit back in the mid-late '70s, when I was 14-17 (long story) and only had one creepy experience, but most of the time people were cool. I grew up after I turned 17 (long story) and started working for a living and I don't think I've ever hitched a ride since then. Lot of memories of sleeping beside the road, freezing my butt off, not bathing for days/weeks, being hungry more often than not.

Let us not forget that, to even get into this country, people are supposed to be able to show that they have "sufficient funds" for their holiday and people have been denied entry for not being able to prove they have those funds.

But then again, maybe these hitchhikers blew all their money in Bangkok in the first couple of days and still have a couple weeks to go on their trip but are too broke (now) to stay in Bangkok or pay to travel anywhere else.

My very first trip to Thailand (back in 1993) was just 10 days but by day 7 I was nearly broke. When I flew out on day 10, I had 35 baht to my name and was lucky that a kind stranger paid the "Airport Departure Tax" for me so that I could get on the plane ! (That was back in the days before the "internet" and ATMs). 

Never had to hitchhike anywhere on that trip but I did do a lot of walking (but I was still in the army so it wasn't a bad thing) !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Typical Artisi comment.  Once again slagging off an entire nation of people by picking out one comment and imagining in your warped little mind that all Thais said it and agree with it.  If you look at the original clip there are plenty of Thais defending them saying it's no big deal, backpacking is fine, hitchhiking is not unusual in the west, they are just trying to be frugal etc.

I bet you are one of those people who sees scams everywhere too.  I really don't understand how you can live in a place you clearly hate that is full of people you have zero respect for.

Missed the cynicism did you, whoosh straight over the top - but never mind keep slagging off people based on one comment if you get your kicks that way. 

Spent a lot of yesterday talking to my thai friends and family.  They all recognised the practice of hitchhiking although the translation was a whole sentence which I couldn't memorise.  However, the consensus was that lots of Thais do it although not as much as they used to.  Thais have, apparently,  been doing it for years.  They didn't understand 'the thumb'.  They said they just hold up their arm.

• Like 1

Top to bottom, Thais have a stubborn belief that farangs have a lot of money.  I've seen this attitude even in Thai university teachers and managers.  Thus, many act with outrage when they see a farang trying to get something for nothing.

The problem seems to be the taxi driver is assuming they want a lift from him.

Edited by mommysboy

Well, it is difficult to mix local cultural mind thinking and what can be practice all over the world.

Young people who can not be supported by familly want to be free to get a cultural experience and in this world, without money, you need to find luck.

Thailand people (who, most of the time are very good people) said many time: "chock dii" or "mai pen arai". Ok, but is it true also for foreigners ? I mean, what Siddarta Gautama life was talking about ? Here in Thailand, culture is a lot linked with Teravada Buddhism. This culture doesn't talk about money, but about live together and respect life, speak about to never speak bad, never judge strongly.

So the question is: "This people who speak strongly with poor foreigners who just search for luck... are they buddhist ? Do they really follow there own culture ? If yes, why do they speak like that ? No one has the obligation to stop and bring them some kilometers on the way they go... no one. Everybody is free to accept to help a little bit or not at all.

I think there, in Thailand, same than everywhere in other contries, there is people who born with uge money and people who are poor. There is also good people and people who speak and think very bad (money or not). And also, there is kind of mafia.

Finally, what i thinking is that speak about little people who try to discover Thailand with luck and humility are not the problem there. At the same time we are speaking about that, we are no more speaking about important things who can be better fr Thailand economy.

It is definitely a subject for people who doesn't want to have deep reflection.

"chock dii"

Phom chop koun Thai djai diii.

6 hours ago, BurgerGung said:

The other day, a flat tire made me fear that I would have to flag down some bus / van / car to get a ride into the next town. Returning with a recovery vehicle to fetch the bike...

But a gas station attendant called a guy who came in a truck and replaced the inner tube. 10 minutes later, I was on my way.

Not all foreigners trying to hitch a ride want it for FREE. Maybe I should have tried waving a 500 THB note?

Took a 3rd class train ride from Bangkok to Nong Khai. Hell. Hard seats and a young Thai doing the man spread thing, touching for hours. But hey, it was less than 300 THB.

And how much was the train?

• Haha 1

Copped two young backpackers with a similar cardboard sign begging for money in between Sofitel and Bush Garden on Sukhumvit the week before last..Probably pissed all their money away and trying their luck.Not really the country to be down and out and destitute in and totally irresponsible!

On 9/12/2018 at 9:45 AM, RotMahKid said:

Hitchhiking is very normal to do in western countries, it can bring you free to far destinations. I also did many times when I was younger and it does not mean " No Money ", because if I did not get a ride, I took the train or other transportation.

But not as popular to do now as it once was due to the inherent dangers these days. Also, I bet your "other transportation" to far destinations did not include taxis! 

4 hours ago, RicUSA said:

I notice that one guy and the girl have their waist belts unfastened, this will lead quite soon to sore backs - there is a reason they have waist belts on large heavy packs.... 

did you check footwear and underwear as well, don't want sore blistered feet and sweat rash , might ruin their holidays.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Everyone always talks about how they used to hitchhike "back in the day" with no problems at all.

But you have to remember, now is not "back in the day" anymore ! Things have changed and it is nowhere near as easy, or safe, to hitchhike like it used to be "back in the day".

Society has changed, almost everywhere, and it's probably as dangerous, these days, to pick up a hitchhiker as it is to be a hitchhiker.

I hitched around a bit back in the mid-late '70s, when I was 14-17 (long story) and only had one creepy experience, but most of the time people were cool. I grew up after I turned 17 (long story) and started working for a living and I don't think I've ever hitched a ride since then. Lot of memories of sleeping beside the road, freezing my butt off, not bathing for days/weeks, being hungry more often than not.

Let us not forget that, to even get into this country, people are supposed to be able to show that they have "sufficient funds" for their holiday and people have been denied entry for not being able to prove they have those funds.

But then again, maybe these hitchhikers blew all their money in Bangkok in the first couple of days and still have a couple weeks to go on their trip but are too broke (now) to stay in Bangkok or pay to travel anywhere else.

My very first trip to Thailand (back in 1993) was just 10 days but by day 7 I was nearly broke. When I flew out on day 10, I had 35 baht to my name and was lucky that a kind stranger paid the "Airport Departure Tax" for me so that I could get on the plane ! (That was back in the days before the "internet" and ATMs). 

Never had to hitchhike anywhere on that trip but I did do a lot of walking (but I was still in the army so it wasn't a bad thing) !

Lets also take into consideration that back in the old days not so many people had their own transport. I can remember as a kid, my parents took buses and trains everywhere. In our whole family only my grandad had a car. So at night hitch hikers were quite a common sight, especially in the outer rural areas. But as you say; sadly times have changed and these days it`s too risky picking up strangers along the road, also considering these beg packers can rent motorbikes for about 150 baht per day. No excuses. 

6 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

For young people, traveling around the world and experiencing other countries is the best education they'll ever get. Hitchhiking is just a way to prolong the trip - pretty sure they've got money - they just would rather spend it on food and accommodation rather than transport.

If everyone could have this type of experience in their younger years, the world would be a much better place.

"Could" being the key word - in most (Western) countries these days it's just too dangerous to risk it. 

30 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Lets also take into consideration that back in the old days not so many people had their own transport. I can remember as a kid, my parents took buses and trains everywhere. In our whole family only my grandad had a car. So at night hitch hikers were quite a common sight, especially in the outer rural areas. But as you say; sadly times have changed and these days it`s too risky picking up strangers along the road, also considering these beg packers can rent motorbikes for about 150 baht per day. No excuses. 

"No excuses"  No license?

Also if they are travelling from A to B how do they get the bike back to A?

Edited by sambum