Pet question

4 minutes ago, Spock said:

There are actually numerous dog breeds that are quite suited to apartment life, provided you give them a bit of exercise each day. Not all dogs need to bound around outdoors in order to enjoy life. Human companionship is the most important need.

They can also yap endlessly when the owner isn't home.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dewey said:

No, I obviously think that there is a rule for everybody and my question was: what are the risks if I get caught breaking it.

But thank you for your pointless answer ?

We have a few pets in my building. I pat them in the lift. Dogs are a bit noisy, but if the owner's polite and apologetic we're OK .It's Thai.Don't look at the rules; look at the people.  

Just now, jgarbo said:

We have a few pets in my building. I pat them in the lift. Dogs are a bit noisy, but if the owner's polite and apologetic we're OK .It's Thai.Don't look at the rules; look at the people.  

You might feel differently if you had a dog barking non-stop next door.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You might feel differently if you had a dog barking non-stop next door.

I've had it good person. In that case NEVER confront the owner. Go to management and explain, don't complain. Go from there. BTW I killed a dog that was driving me crazy, and I like dogs. 

57 minutes ago, BestB said:

Risks are big fat zero , no matter what wanna be experts will tell you .

if somehow you get caught for having one , you will be getting endless letters with threats but no actions to follow.

they will not sue you as it will cost a fortune and need little more evidence than “someone saw a cat”  as you can easily claim it’s not yours or only came to visit .

so your only problems would be letters with threats and perhaps a few foreigners frothing out of their mouth for not getting things their way.

Owner next door had a cat, dipstick left her door open and it ran in the hallway. Made one phone call and the cat was gone for good a half an hour later. Someone else raised the issue at the juristic meeting and the ruling was no exceptions - no pets. Not every condo is run like what's alluded to in the above statement.

2 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

I've had it good person. In that case NEVER confront the owner. Go to management and explain, don't complain. Go from there. BTW I killed a dog that was driving me crazy, and I like dogs. 

You can't like them all that much if you kill them.

1 minute ago, jgarbo said:

That's why some condos have a ban on pets, so confrontation and annoyances are avoided.

2 minutes ago, Spock said:

But surely then you could make a formal complaint?

Forget the "formal complaint". This is not the Old Bailey. Enquire with the management, go gently. You don't know who the dog owner's friends are. Stop the dog, they stop your car.

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

Owner next door had a cat, dipstick left her door open and it ran in the hallway. Made one phone call and the cat was gone for good a half an hour later. Someone else raised the issue at the juristic meeting and the ruling was no exceptions - no pets. Not every condo is run like what's alluded to in the above statement.

Depends on the animal's owner. Be careful. the gone cat might cost you a gone car. I've been here a very long time. 

5 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

But why? What was the cat doing that upset you so much? 

Just now, Spock said:

It was a question anyone could answer. Jgarbo by his own admission would probably just kill it to solve the problem.

No, that was a serious situation. Recalcitrant owner,  belligerent. My family proved bigger. No reprisal. He changed to cats. 

48 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems many Thais just "donate" them to the nearest temple. Or just dump them on the street...

Also true but when you look in comparison to the number of Thai people and foreigners in Thailand , you may find foreigners are far worse. 2 dogs I have were thrown out by foreigners when they moved house . Did not even bother to take to temple , just dumped in Soi 

20 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

So cat was removed by whom?

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

Condos are not a suitable environment for dogs and cats. They need space and outdoor areas.

If the OP is keen to have a pet, he should get a goldfish or hamster instead.

This is just dumb. There are indoor cats and outdoor cats. They are different kinds of cats. You never had a Persian....obviously.

2 minutes ago, soistalker said:

This is just dumb. There are indoor cats and outdoor cats. They are different kinds of cats. You never had a Persian....obviously.

Try a pitbul or a Great Dane, just to name a few, all they want is a sofa. The only time they go outside is to do toilet biz and back on the sofa 

52 minutes ago, BestB said:

That’s exactly how I feel about human beings who think other beings should be destroyed 

Pit bulls are extremely antisocial to all other dog breeds. Sounds like you and a pitbull would get along fine.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

You actually believed that BS story? ?

Cat was gone from hallway back to room?

Prior to purchasing my condo I was assured that the no pets rule would stay in effect permanently. It was a condition of my purchase though I do realize where I am. Was pleasantly assured I made the right call when that cat disappeared promptly. My wife says the condo manager told her they just don't want to deal with all different issues that arise with animals, and if one owner wants one, everybody will want one etc, The security guys at our place told me that they've also been instructed to keep an eye out for animals going through the gate. (whether that occurs I don't know)  Maybe I just lucked out. And as Ripley says "believe it or not"

53 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Prior to purchasing my condo I was assured that the no pets rule would stay in effect permanently. It was a condition of my purchase though I do realize where I am. Was pleasantly assured I made the right call when that cat disappeared promptly. My wife says the condo manager told her they just don't want to deal with all different issues that arise with animals, and if one owner wants one, everybody will want one etc, The security guys at our place told me that they've also been instructed to keep an eye out for animals going through the gate. (whether that occurs I don't know)  Maybe I just lucked out. And as Ripley says "believe it or not"

So what you saying is that you do not have a clue what happened with the cat but you did not see it again

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Pit bulls are extremely antisocial to all other dog breeds. Sounds like you and a pitbull would get along fine.

We do, so you must have owned a large number of them to know how social or anti social each and every pitbul is? Ohhh wait you would not be talking out of backside would you??

They might threaten you but before anything really happens the cat will be old enough to die of natural death !

Enjoy and forget the ridiculous rules made for Thai who know nothing, not for us educated people !

Some different opinions ?

Archived