Trump disputes Puerto Rico storm death toll, draws outcry

webfact

After the disaster the amount of people dead was A low number.The U.S. spent A 

large amount of money in PR.It was on shaky ground before the hurricane.They were billions in debt before it happened.We never heard of so many people that died til A month or so ago.I believe many of them died months after the hurricane.The 

president of the United States isn’t GOD.But people think presidents can do miracles.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, thrilled said:

large amount of money in PR.It was on shaky ground before the hurricane.They were billions in debt before it happened.We never heard of so many people that died til A month or so ago.I believe many of them died months after the hurricane.The 

president of the United States isn’t GOD.But people think presidents can do miracles.

Better tell Trump he isn't god, he seems to think otherwise.

53 minutes ago, thrilled said:

No, my expectations are much lower. I'd settle for one that wasn't a compulsive liar with the mentality and lack of morals of a particularly evil and petulant child.

Bad faith presidency.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/09/14/angry-about-trumps-cruelty-and-megalomania-towards-puerto-rico-you-have-recourse/?utm_term=.66735e2cde2a

The cavalier willingness to trivialize the deaths of thousands, the megalomaniacal prioritization of Trump’s image over the need to learn critical lessons for the future, the snarling eagerness to pump out the most sordid of lies and deception about a national calamity that demands utmost seriousness of purpose — it’s all a reminder that we still haven’t found language adequate to capture the deep saturation levels of bad faith that we’re seeing from this presidency.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, dcutman said:

Does not the official death toll from this hurricane come from the Puerto Rica Govt.? 

Whats Trump got to do with it? Right or wrong the local government reports the official death toll. A hundred different sources can do studies and it still does not change the local govt official death toll.

Read.  Stop asking other people.  They hired experts.  Ignorance through laziness is not an excuse 

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Bad faith presidency.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/09/14/angry-about-trumps-cruelty-and-megalomania-towards-puerto-rico-you-have-recourse/?utm_term=.66735e2cde2a

The cavalier willingness to trivialize the deaths of thousands, the megalomaniacal prioritization of Trump’s image over the need to learn critical lessons for the future, the snarling eagerness to pump out the most sordid of lies and deception about a national calamity that demands utmost seriousness of purpose — it’s all a reminder that we still haven’t found language adequate to capture the deep saturation levels of bad faith that we’re seeing from this presidency.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And all of the groveling Republicans licking balls

"trump" and his complicit party know that Puerto Ricans can't vote. It's also known that if Puerto Rico asks for statehood that the republicans will oppose it because it's a Latino island.

However … Latinos in all the 50 states can vote, and they're watching.

DnF0uPvUwAAZhgA.jpg

3 hours ago, mcambl61 said:

Breathless whingers--do you mean Trump?

BTW:  Your link discusses the Harvard estimate.  This topic is about Trump whinging about the GWU death toll estimate.

On 9/14/2018 at 4:33 PM, hyku1147 said:

I posted the link that you re-posted. How do you explain the death toll discrepancies between the two studies? Flawed method? Author bias?

By reading the part where the Harvard estimate you quoted was done by "household survey" and the other by "data analysis".

Household survey is not a flawed method but it is much more subjective than data analysis.

One of the people behind the GWU study responds to the filth from "trump" --

We calculated the deaths from Hurricane Maria. Politics played no role.

The tweets suggested a political motive for our study’s finding of 2,975 excess deaths in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.

To set the record straight, our study was carried out with no interference whatsoever from any political party or institution. It was based on a careful examination of all of the deaths officially reported to the government of Puerto Rico between September 2017 and February 2018.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/we-calculated-the-deaths-from-hurricane-maria-politics-played-no-role/2018/09/15/2b765b26-b849-11e8-94eb-3bd52dfe917b_story.html

6 hours ago, heybruce said:

Breathless whingers--do you mean Trump?

BTW:  Your link discusses the Harvard estimate.  This topic is about Trump whinging about the GWU death toll estimate.

It must be referring to Trump!

Whine about "no Russian collusion".

Whine about Jeff Sessions.

Whine about HRC.

Whine about no funding for his wall.

Whine about Obama.

Whine about Mueller.

Whine about "fake news".

Whine about American allies.

Whine about GWU report.

Whine about fake polls.

Whine, whine, whine. If not bragging, it's whining.

57 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Trump bashers are mindless simpletons who allow the mass media to shape their thinking; however, they are to be pitied because they have been absorbed by group think.

As opposed to no think?

PS. It always cracks me up when supporters of the unstable retard questions the mental faculties of his opponents:clap2:

On 9/14/2018 at 4:11 AM, hyku1147 said:

Ad-hominen is not an effective debating tool.

4 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Trump bashers are mindless simpletons who allow the mass media to shape their thinking; however, they are to be pitied because they have been absorbed by group think.

" Ad hominem (Latin for "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. "    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

hyku1147 doesn't want others to use ad hominem arguments, but clearly feels free to use them himself.

5 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Forgive me for being a mindless simpleton, but what exactly do Trump-bashers have to do with the topic at hand?

Are you suggesting that they, Trump-bashers, killed nearly 3,000 Puerto Ricans? Or that they "faked" this figure to make "Trump look bad"? I thought the Dems did that?

Please spare your pity, and help us understand why the president had double- and triple-downed on this self-inflicted wound?

It's as if he is not content with shooting himself in the foot, again and again, he'll just keep shooting.

No one, other than a few fox and friends, and you, presumably, is defending him on this one. And we know he'll never let it go. I suspect he'll incorporate it into his "greatest hits" at upcoming rallies? He just needs a simple catch-phrase.

I don't give a toss which set of figures are correct; but people died and Trump is trying to use their deaths for his own political advantage.

That is disgusting; he obviously doesn't care about the dead and their families; on the contrary he seems to be willing to walk over their corpses if he thinks there is an advantage to him.

From their comments I can only conclude that those who defend him agree with his view.

48 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Man - that was easy. I threw out the bait - and they took it like hungry salmon. LOL

Right.  No one is buying it.

You posted a fact free ad hominem insult directed to those who disagree with you, the kind you object to others posting, and have no answer now that you've been exposed.

On 9/14/2018 at 12:51 PM, ChouDoufu said:

i don't trust either side in this.  trump is an idiot who gets his info from the foxnews crawler at the bottom of the screen, which is all about him.......the pr government wants more funding.

the study is really interesting, but seems they could have simply provided a list of the 3000 or so deaths with the hurricane-related cause of death.  it'll be too easy for trump&friends to blow off the study as being based on flawed models rather than hard data.

Eric Holthaus (@EricHolthaus)

9/15/18, 5:52 AM

2,975 people died in Puerto Rico. It is the worst humanitarian disaster in modern American history.

For the first time, here are the names of hundreds of the dead. And their stories, told by grieving family members.

Bold, courageous reporting by ⁦‪@qz‬⁩:

https://qz.com/1390559/how-many-people-died-in-hurricane-maria-an-investigation/

9 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

2 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Man - that was easy. I threw out the bait - and they took it like hungry salmon. LOL

Thank you for identifying yourself as a troll.  Not that it was difficult to deduce.

Archived