Thinking of relocating within Thailand

expat1010

On 9/15/2018 at 11:03 AM, Just1Voice said:

I'm 69, live in Chiang Mai but outside of the main city on Hwy 121, and I love it here.  10 years ago there was a problem with the burning, but now all the rice paddies have become multiple housing areas and businesses, so no more smoke.  Chiang Mai can be as "cosmopolitan" as you want, or as "rural" as you want. In my 10 years here, I've taken motorcycle trips all over the North, North East and Central areas, hitting every major city, and I have yet to find one I prefer over Chiang Mai.  

Agreed the countryside near to Chiang Mai city can be a good place to live. Was quieter back in the 90s before the big influx of foreigners but it`s easy enough to escape that. And direct Air Asia flights to Phuket or Krabi makes it easy to head south when Chiang Mai gets hot March to May.

Pattaya has all you need. My needs are pretty much the same. The main down point is shopping is no where near as good as Bangkok, but it is second best in Thailand. A few trips a year to Bangkok should fill in the gaps for what you need.  

It is very easy to ignore the bar scene here. I've been here a couple of years and totally skip out on the bar and sexpat thing, and sometimes forget it happens here. (just ignore the main bar streets)

There are a few gyms. None world class, but good enough for bodybuilders. (Power lifters may have difficulty).

I avoid bars yet still run into lots of expats who also avoid the scene and are still plenty nice to chat with.

it's as if there is a non sexpat expats sub group here.

I agree, Pattaya has everything the op needs. I avoided Pattaya for 15 years because of its reputation but I'm glad i came 5 years ago. Quite a few cycling and golf friends don't touch the sexpat stuff, some may have done originally but things change.

I haven't scuba dived here yet but its close by if i decide to. Not as good as Koh Tao or Similan